Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT. Large bird of prey

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I was working near Wakehurst yesterday when I spotted a bird of prey in the garden. As I got closer ( it was about 6m above me for 5 minutes) it was clear it was not the usual buzzard, in fact it was about twice the size! It had finger feathers on the ends of it's wings and a blunt v tail brown with no obvious colour.

A quick google search suggested a marsh harrier, but they don't live round here. Has anyone heard of any sightings of harrier like birds in the mid-Sussex area?

Oh yes and I know :needpics: but I'm up there again on Friday and will try my best.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
85043241f29da324958c71d228488e58.jpg

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Red Kite doubtless. Probably having a look for carrion. I was involved, through work, with the The Red Kite reintroduction programme in Gateshead, a beautiful and fascinating 'bird of prey' larger than a buzzard but far lighter and predominately a carrion feeder.

It's good to read that the national reintroduction schemes have seemingly worked so well.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I work in the Countryside close to Wadhurst and cycle to work quite a bit. I have seen loads of birds of prey in the area, but the largest is usually a buzzard. The buzzard and kite are quite similar though, I believe, you sure it was as big as you first thought? More to the point whereabouts were you? I'll go and have a gander (oh hang on, that's what you do with geese...)

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Yep. Sounds very much like a Red Kite. We had an unforgettable moment last summer when one came swooping in between the houses down our road in West Worthing before being chased off by crows and seagulls. I've also seen a resident pair in Steyning and there's also been sightings in Arundel. Amazing birds that almost became extinct in the 60s and 70s.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Another vote for a Kite. They're really common in Cambs (county, not city) now. I saw a group of 7 a couple of weeks ago whirling around. Last week I saw one sitting on top of a telegraph pole - did a double take; initially I thought it was a vulture!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I was working near Wakehurst yesterday when I spotted a bird of prey in the garden. As I got closer ( it was about 6m above me for 5 minutes) it was clear it was not the usual buzzard, in fact it was about twice the size! It had finger feathers on the ends of it's wings and a blunt v tail brown with no obvious colour.

A quick google search suggested a marsh harrier, but they don't live round here. Has anyone heard of any sightings of harrier like birds in the mid-Sussex area?

Oh yes and I know :needpics: but I'm up there again on Friday and will try my best.

Female sparrowhawk fits the description of the feathers perfectly, size might be a bit out.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
There is one missing from a sanctuary near aldingbourne which has been on radio Sussex.
Can you email radio Sussex with any sightings

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Red Kite doubtless. Probably having a look for carrion. I was involved, through work, with the The Red Kite reintroduction programme in Gateshead, a beautiful and fascinating 'bird of prey' larger than a buzzard but far lighter and predominately a carrion feeder.

It's good to read that the national reintroduction schemes have seemingly worked so well.

Loads of them in my neck of the woods. An amazing sight.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Female Marsh Harrier spotted near Lewes last week...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've got friends that live in Didcot. There are more red kites flying around their garden, than sparrows. Beautiful birds.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yep. Sounds very much like a Red Kite. We had an unforgettable moment last summer when one came swooping in between the houses down our road in West Worthing before being chased off by crows and seagulls. I've also seen a resident pair in Steyning and there's also been sightings in Arundel. Amazing birds that almost became extinct in the 60s and 70s.

The ones we see in Worthing (West at least) are from a family group that live in the Angmering woods. they have a large range, and I sometimes see them flying high over Durrington.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here