Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I alone in thinking we played alright last night?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Didn't come on here after the game last night but decided to take a look this morning and I am a bit shocked and surprised by some of the negativity.

Sure, we didn't win, but we have played a hell of lot worse than that this season and won the game.

I think too many people are underestimating teams based on their league position with no thought to the form and run they are on when we meet them. Ipswich were on a decent mini run, with some confidence and form. Mick McCarthy knows Hughton and his style of football very well and knows the best way to combat it. Therefore this was never an easy game, unlike Burton on Saturday.

But despite this, and despite falling behind early on we still battered them for large parts of the game and could and probably should have still won.

Yes perhaps Hughton slipped up with some of the subs, either taking off the wrong winger (but he knows the players best and knows who needs rest more than we do), or by not bringing on Murray earlier when it was clear in the first half Hemed and Baldock were struggling to hold the ball up. But despite this we were a small whisker away from winning the game and going top.

I wouldn't be surprised if we now get a result at Barnsley, I really wouldn't. Bring back Murray, fresh from a mini break, and see what happens. I suspect Houghton has a keen eye on the Reading and Newcastle fixtures, and wants all his best players fit and raring to go for those.

Glass still half full for me. Anyone else?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Didn't come on here after the game last night but decided to take a look this morning and I am a bit shocked and surprised by some of the negativity.

Sure, we didn't win, but we have played a hell of lot worse than that this season and won the game.

I think too many people are underestimating teams based on their league position with no thought to the form and run they are on when we meet them. Ipswich were on a decent mini run, with some confidence and form. Mick McCarthy knows Hughton and his style of football very well and knows the best way to combat it. Therefore this was never an easy game, unlike Burton on Saturday.

But despite this, and despite falling behind early on we still battered them for large parts of the game and could and probably should have still won.

Yes perhaps Hughton slipped up with some of the subs, either taking off the wrong winger (but he knows the players best and knows who needs rest more than we do), or by not bringing on Murray earlier when it was clear in the first half Hemed and Baldock were struggling to hold the ball up. But despite this we were a small whisker away from winning the game and going top.

I wouldn't be surprised if we now get a result at Barnsley, I really wouldn't. Bring back Murray, fresh from a mini break, and see what happens. I suspect Houghton has a keen eye on the Reading and Newcastle fixtures, and wants all his best players fit and raring to go for those.

Simple question:-

Which 'keeper actually worked for the point?

The team can huff and puff for the rest of the season, but if it's not going to actually create chances then playing alright isn't going to get the job done.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I agree completely. Even with many of our front players below par we played pretty well and on 9 out of 10 nights we win that game.

The negativity is more nerves given the other results, compounded by memories of last season. At one point last night we were eyeing up a 9 point buffer over Huddersfield and the others. This morning the reality is somewhat different.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The team can huff and puff for the rest of the season, but if it's not going to actually create chances then playing alright isn't going to get the job done.

But we did create chances. The Baldock and Murray chances were arguably the best two of the game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One thing is for sure, even when not playing well we are a formidable side.

I didn't think we played badly, but just small things messed us up a bit. I thought Stephens / Sidwell were slightly too deep, Baldock played slightly too forward, too many times playing on the shoulder of the defender rather than coming in short to collect the ball, and both Knocky and March isolated themselves too much.

You have to put this down to the tactics of the opposition however, who had 3 players closing down our back 4, followed by 2 or 3 midfielders closing the midfield, so we went aerial looking for those outlets. However, this appeared to be our only solution to get around those tactics for long periods, whereas when we moved the ball quickly, when our fullbacks and wingers got closer together and Baldock did drop in (or Akpom after) we looked dangerous still, and in all honesty should have won the game in the end.

I just feel we get a little bit reliant on a moment of magic rather than keeping the ball moving quickly and working our great little patterns of play.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At one point last night we were eyeing up a 9 point buffer over Huddersfield and the others. This morning the reality is somewhat different.

Quite. But that also shows how easily we could go back to having a decent sized gap. Changes drastically week-by-week so we need to look at longer term form. And ours is very good. I genuinely wouldn't swap our points total and remaining games with anyone.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The negativity is more nerves given the other results, compounded by memories of last season.

I completely agree. I actually think within the next four games we'll probably fall out of the top two. I think we'll make it back there by the end of the season but simply falling out will make NSC a no-go zone for me as the kneejerk doom-merchants cry 'I told you we'd blow it',

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Was going to start a similar thread and was a bit surprised at the reaction by some fans at the final whistle and then on twitter later.

We aren't going to win all the time. No one is in this division. And we'll often fail to win against sides we're favourites to beat.

But I do have a lot of trust in the manager and the players. What I like most about this group is that even if they have off-days, they never stop working and the energy levels are very high all the way to the end. And I think they care as much as we do.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The negativity is more nerves given the other results, compounded by memories of last season. At one point last night we were eyeing up a 9 point buffer over Huddersfield and the others. This morning the reality is somewhat different.

It really is this I believe and it has even caught me up. We've gone from a nine point gap to four and that really is unnerving.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Watch the highlights. They have more chances than us and much better ones. If anyone should have won it was them.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I agree completely. Even with many of our front players below par we played pretty well and on 9 out of 10 nights we win that game.

Agreed, and worried that this nervousness and negativity from the fans over any slight setback is more likely to transmit to the players and make them nervous and therefore less effective also

It's better to be confident, relaxed and behind the team (no matter how it goes, win lose or draw) than the usual scapegoating and looking for fault that goes on (drop him, pick them, why is x playing, player x is obviously not committed and wants away, etc...) what a great way to undermine them and make them think too much about how their are playing or disrupt the team unity rather than just getting getting behind them and letting them get on with it with far less pressure, the more people think about it, the more they are likely to struggle (think striker who is desperate to break a goal drought and tries too hard when they get a half chance vs a player who is on a goal scoring run and naturally just does what is needed without thinking or trying too hard when they get a chance)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

If you think aimlessly putting floated diagonal crosses into the box for the last 15-20 mins us playing well then I am surprised.

Whilst you couldn't fault the effort and desire, that is where it ended for me. Basic things like passing, decent movement, keeping the shape and decision making were absent.

For me it was poor. Stockdale saved us.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Watch the highlights. They have more chances than us and much better ones. If anyone should have won it was them.

Highlights are and can be deceptive as they only show select parts of the game and not the whole picture and therefore not what actually happened which is what you would see if you had watched the whole game and how much better we were than the highlights suggest

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
But we did create chances. The Baldock and Murray chances were arguably the best two of the game.

Indeed. We had more shots (17 vs 8) and more shots on target (5 vs 4) last night, as well as more of the possession. We created more and better chances, and could easily have won the game. Were it not for conceding too easily from the free kick we would have won.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I am normally an optimist but I feel quite depressed about French Tony and Stephens terrible performances. I cannot stand the thought of another playoff.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed, and worried that this nervousness and negativity from the fans over any slight setback is more likely to transmit to the players and make them nervous and therefore less effective also

It's better to be confident, relaxed and behind the team (no matter how it goes, win lose or draw) than the usual scapegoating and looking for fault that goes on (drop him, pick them, why is x playing, player x is obviously not committed and wants away, etc...) what a great way to undermine them and make them think too much about how their are playing or disrupt the team unity rather than just getting getting behind them and letting them get on with it with far less pressure, the more people think about it, the more they are likely to struggle (think striker who is desperate to break a goal drought and tries too hard when they get a half chance vs a player who is on a goal scoring run and naturally just does what is needed without thinking or trying too hard when they get a chance)
We haven't been that good for 90 mins all season.I think our supporters are very patient and rarely 'get at' the players. That said when Stephens lost the ball for what seemed lime the 100th time and when Knockaert made a poor decision I did hear groans from West upper.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the problem last night wasn't that we played badly but that there were times when players made too many simple mistakes. Simple passes that were easily intercepted or were under hit and didn't reach the intended recipient. It may well be the pressure of being where we are is starting to tell a little on the players minds, irrespective of what they say to the press. Both Baldock and Murray should have scored and that would have eased the pressure.

Yoda

English & European
Ipswich were on a decent mini run,

I wouldn't say that exactly. They are the consistently inconsistent and have not recorded successive results of any kind since two draws in the middle of August. A run of 28 matches now.

WL DD WLWDLDLDWLDWLWLDLWLWLWLDLDWD

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We aren't going to win all the time. No one is in this division. And we'll often fail to win against sides we're favourites to beat.

But I do have a lot of trust in the manager and the players. What I like most about this group is that even if they have off-days, they never stop working and the energy levels are very high all the way to the end. And I think they care as much as we do.
This. Definitely can't win them all and a draw against Ipswich at home (them on the back of a good away win and with a key player, Tom Lawrence, in exceptional form...) is far from a disaster.

We pushed really hard for the win in the last 25 minutes or so, and The Amex crowd got behind the players with a good level of positive support, but it wasn't our night.

One thing frustrated me was that we didn't make more of getting all those defenders on early yellow cards. On another occasion it might have been open season for Knocky and Solly - but it wasn't until Jamie Murphy came on that there was much sign of us getting behind them more easily as a result.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed. We had more shots (17 vs 8) and more shots on target (5 vs 4) last night, as well as more of the possession. We created more and better chances, and could easily have won the game. Were it not for conceding too easily from the free kick we would have won.
We might have had the quantity, but Murray's attempt aside, Ipswich definitely had the quality.
That's without Lawrence who I thought Duffy did an excellent job on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here