Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are we so poor in the first halves of games recently?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Thinking back to last season, we were experts at putting the pressure on early and getting an early goal which sets us up perfectly for the rest of the game. Recently (Burton aside) we've been shocking. 2 goal defecits against Huddersfield and Brentford at half time, couldn't break Cardiff down and last night we barely caused any threat bar the penalty.

No urgency at all in the 1st half, we looked particularly lacklustre going forward given that Ipswich have several players in the book who could be got at.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thinking back to last season, we were experts at putting the pressure on early and getting an early goal which sets us up perfectly for the rest of the game.

Not sure about that, I seem to remember us frequently being slow off the blocks. Charlton at home springs to mind.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Not sure about that, I seem to remember us frequently being slow off the blocks. Charlton at home springs to mind.

There were a couple of times that we started poorly last season, but I seem to remember against most of the 'lower half' teams, especially at home, we got after them early and got a lead in the first half, forcing the opposition to change their tactics.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We was a far dominant side last season and away from home....Think Murray and knocky have made a difference in scoring goals etc but our midfield is really weak and we need kayal back to his best ASAP.

Think we should have signed a creative box to box midfielder instead we brought a defensive midfielder which doesn't suit our 4-4-2.
Very slow out the blocks most games and performances are defo very lacklustre most of the time....Kayal is the key ingredient to controlling games more.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought we started OK and then conceded yet another soft goal which put us on the back foot.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
We was a far dominant side last season and away from home....Think Murray and knocky have made a difference in scoring goals etc but our midfield is really weak and we need kayal back to his best ASAP.

Think we should have signed a creative box to box midfielder instead we brought a defensive midfielder which doesn't suit our 4-4-2.
Very slow out the blocks most games and performances are defo very lacklustre most of the time....Kayal is the key ingredient to controlling games more.

We missed the box to box play last night, no support for the front men from Sidwell or Stephens last night.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IMO we've always been a second half team, it's like Hughton shoves a rocket up their arses half time!

Certainly the case last night. No sense of urgency first half, far too much languid 'patient' sideways and backwards passing in our own half. Just gives the opposition confidence to attack us. Markedly different second half.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I believe we have only let in three second half goals at home all season, that is some record.

We still have one of the best defences in the league, but Nsc posters are still looking for the negatives, because they can't cope with not winning.

We have won 4 points in the last two games. We didn't lose. Onwards and upwards.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Btw if anyone doubts my prediction for last night's game, see the Prediction thread. We always struggle against Ipswich for some reason, and I predicted a 1-1 draw.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Thinking back to last season, we were experts at putting the pressure on early and getting an early goal which sets us up perfectly for the rest of the game. Recently (Burton aside) we've been shocking. 2 goal defecits against Huddersfield and Brentford at half time, couldn't break Cardiff down and last night we barely caused any threat bar the penalty.

No urgency at all in the 1st half, we looked particularly lacklustre going forward given that Ipswich have several players in the book who could be got at.

Very good question, wish I knew the answer. It was conceding that early goal last night that cost us two points. Once that happens, particularly at the Amex, many sides will just park the bus, play very defensively, and waste as much time as possible. That's precisely what happened yesterday..

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
At Birmingham,it looked like they were exhausted from the pre-match warm-up!But they woke up during the second half.Perhaps a talk on how to manage Premiership wages on the team coach/dressing room might help!:)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Is it any coincidence that we seem to be giving away soft goals since Colin Calderwood left.

He's doing a wonderful job at Villa, isn't he? It must be him that makes such a difference, after all they conceded three last night.

Come on BG, you can do better than that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We still have one of the best defences in the league, but Nsc posters are still looking for the negatives, because they can't cope with not winning.

We have won 4 points in the last two games. We didn't lose. Onwards and upwards.

Our defence has been RUBBISH for the last few games, compared to what it was before. The Burton goal was absolute quality. The others conceded recently have been piss poor defending.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here