Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Ipswich (h)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stockdale 7.5 MotM -- two great saves, consistently good distribution throughout
Bruno 7 -- wily
Duffy 6 -- mucked too much up in their penalty area
Dunk 7 -- won most things, I actually thought he was unlucky to get that card
Pocognoli 6 -- I've noticed something: the opposition target long balls at him, because he's dreadful in the air, and tends to head it out or, if not, straight to one of their on-rushing players; now I understand why Pulis doesn't rate him. He did, however, make a couple of good sliding tackles to retain possession high up the pitch
Knockaert 5 -- takes too much on his shoulders; things really didn't go right for him tonight
Stephens 5.5 -- half asleep in the first half; too many interceptions and misplaced passes
Sidwell 7.5 -- really solid, intelligent performance; won a lot of balls
March 6 -- meh; I thought that was a penalty, but many have said he slipped
Baldock 6 -- really should have done better with that effort, but good industry and movement as ever
Hemed 6.5 -- so cool from the spot and at least he didn't fluff his lines

Murray 5.5 -- he fluffed his lines
Akpom 5.5 -- so did he
Murphy 7 -- actually thought he got most things right, including putting in some decent crosses although the runs by our forwards made them look worse than they actually were

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Stockdale 7
Bruno 6
Duffy 6
Dunk 7
Pocognoli 6
Knockaert 6
Sidwell 7
Stephens 5
March 6
Baldock 6
Hemed 7

Murray 6
Akpom 5
Murphy 7

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
my view from central WSU- 6 = average

Stockdale - 6 - a couple of good saves some poor distribution
Pocognoli - 6 - solid and comfortable did some good thingsd but then did a few poor thing
Bruno - 7 - influential going forwards
Dunk -7 - assured
Duffy -6.5 good in defence but that header at goal was poor
Sidwell - 7 - decent game, broke up play well and busy around the box MOTM
Stephens -5.5 - did not go well for him tonight
March - 6.5 Just seemed to be getting into it when he was subbed
AK - 5 really should have been subbed rather than March
Baldock - 4.5 - really don't see it .. every corner he is NOT in the box
Hemed - 5 - just didn't happen ahead of Baldock because he scored

Murphy - 6 - some great runs but no out come
Murray - 7 - very unlucky with shot
Akpom - 6 - lively. Not sure about him though as had a decent chance to score

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Stockdale 7
Bruno 7
Dunk 7.5
Duffy 6.5
Pocognoli 7.5
Knockaert 7
Stephens 5
Sidwell 7.5 MOTM
March 6.5
Baldock 6
Hemed 6.5

Murphy 6.5
Akpom 6.5
Murray 5 - Controversial here but seemed very lazy in getting back to an onside position. As if he had been playing the 66 mins he was sat on bench for. Bit unlucky with his chance but should've done better

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What a frustrating game to watch. We were very poor in the first half and not a whole lot better in the second. Allowing Ipswich to score when they had only ten men on the pitch was unforgiveable. Top marks to the fans for getting right behind the team in the 2nd half, but we did not get the response we deserved.

Stockdale 7. Two very good saves, but was he at fault from their goal?
Bruno 6. The sponsors must have been watching a different game to give him MOM. He was OK, but way below his best.
Duffy 7. OK. Should have scored.
Dunk 7. Another silly yellow. He needs to keep his brain in gear. Some nice runs upfield late in the second half.
Pocognoli 7. Decent game.
Stephens 4. Very poor by his standards. Shocking passing in the first half. Some improvement later on. One excellent long-range shot.
Sidwell 8. Had a very good game. MOM
Knockaert 5. Some shocking passing coupled with poor decision making. Needs to have a sit down with the manager who should run through the match video with him and ask him what the hell he was thinking.
March 7. Not up to his recent standards.
Baldock 7. OK
Hemed 6. Good penalty, but apart from that nothing special.

Subs:
Murray 7. Should he have scored with the shot that hit the bar?
Murphy 8. Much to my surprise the lad did good when he came on.
Akpom 7. I think he will come good given more time on the pitch. should have been given 20 mins instead of ten.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Stockdale 8 -- No chance with the goal and a cuppla great blocks with his legs... super distribution (his best of the season)
Bruno 7 -- Defo pen. Worked hard, classy touches
Duffy 6 -- Wins most in the air but sometimes needs to nod it out to someone in blue and white
Dunk 8 -- MOTM Some superb interceptions and then pressing forward with cracking runs. No way a yellow.
Pocognoli 5 -- He's OK but no good enough for a top Championship team
Knockaert 4 -- You can forgive him everything. Works his socks off, rallies the crowd but was woeful tonight
Stephens 4 -- Oh dear, the worse I've seen him play
March 4 -- I was so looking forward to seeing him play after Burton but he was poor.
Baldock 6 -- Average, runs hard...his chance wasn't too bad just a good save
Hemed 6.5 -- Didn't do much but scored another perfect pen

Murray 6 -- Unlucky post shot... still looks sharp to me
Akpom 5 -- Very quick but don't think he kisses the badge
Murphy 8 -- The only real saving light of the night. Would have been MOTM if he'd played longer

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Stockdale 8 -- No chance with the goal and a cuppla great blocks with his legs... super distribution (his best of the season)
Bruno 7 -- Defo pen. Worked hard, classy touches
Duffy 6 -- Wins most in the air but sometimes needs to nod it out to someone in blue and white
Dunk 8 -- MOTM Some superb interceptions and then pressing forward with cracking runs. No way a yellow.
Pocognoli 5 -- He's OK but no good enough for a top Championship team
Knockaert 4 -- You can forgive him everything. Works his socks off, rallies the crowd but was woeful tonight
Stephens 4 -- Oh dear, the worse I've seen him play
March 4 -- I was so looking forward to seeing him play after Burton but he was poor.
Baldock 6 -- Average, runs hard...his chance wasn't too bad just a good save
Hemed 6.5 -- Didn't do much but scored another perfect pen

Murray 6 -- Unlucky post shot... still looks sharp to me
Akpom 5 -- Very quick but don't think he kisses the badge
Murphy 8 -- The only real saving light of the night. Would have been MOTM if he'd played longer

Sidwell 7 - easily the best of our midfield

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I thought Sidwell played well ???

Far and away MOTM. Worked hard all game. Won tackles, passed intelligently. I only remember him making one mistake, but I'll let him off because if he hadn't got his head to the follow up shot which hit our post, to put the ball on to the bar and over, that would have been 1-2 and I don't think we would have come back from a goal down.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Stockdale 7 solid display as ever 2 good saves
Bruno 7 - assured performance
Duffy 7- decent performance could have done better with a couple of headers at the death
Dunk 7 really good performance disappointed with the card.
Pocognoli 6.5 looks very good coming forward and made some good tackles
Knockaert 6 not his night.
Sidwell 7.5 MOM. Assured and effective
Stephens 6. Not his best performance
March 7 a threat in the second half, was surprised he came off. Thought knocky was the obvious choice
Baldock 6.5. A lot of industry but not his night should have done better with his chance
Hemed 7. Keeps his place. Did very well. Very cool for the pen after delay and keeper trying to put him off.

Murray 6.5 great turn and shot. Not our night
Akpom 7 like him. Looked a threat nice and lively. Could be the key
Murphy 7 did really well as always. Direct.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Stockdale 7 solid display as ever 2 good saves
Bruno 7 - assured performance
Duffy 7- decent performance could have done better with a couple of headers at the death
Dunk 7 really good performance disappointed with the card.
Pocognoli 6.5 looks very good coming forward and made some good tackles
Knockaert 6 not his night.
Sidwell 7.5 MOM. Assured and effective
Stephens 6. Not his best performance
March 7 a threat in the second half, was surprised he came off. Thought knocky was the obvious choice
Baldock 6.5. A lot of industry but not his night should have done better with his chance
Hemed 7. Keeps his place. Did very well. Very cool for the pen after delay and keeper trying to put him off.

Murray 6.5 great turn and shot. Not our night
Akpom 7 like him. Looked a threat nice and lively. Could be the key
Murphy 7 did really well as always. Direct.

This (except I think Murray should start the next games)

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
my view from ESU- 6 = average

Stockdale - 6 - looked at fault for the goal but then saved us multiple times
Pocognoli - 5
Bruno - 5 - left his man near the end and didn't have the legs to get back, could have cost us the game. A shadow of his former self.
Dunk -7 - MOM in the absence of anyone else better than average
Duffy -6
Sidwell - 6
Stephens -3 - Passed the ball to Ipswich so many times I lost count.
March - 5 - 2 games in 4 days too much for him after his injury?
AK - 6 - Threatens to turn the game but is getting worse at decision making in the final third
Baldock - 4 - As March. Looked out of his depth today
Hemed - 6 - He scored the penalty that nudged him up to average. Could not keep the ball in the first half.

Murphy - 7 - A breathe of fresh air but no end product
Murray - 6 - Got to score those
Akpom - 6 - Should have come on far sooner, might have got something then

I thought by far our worst performance of the season and all self inflicted. Walked on the pitch without the necessary focus or commitment to get a result. How many times did one of our players make an error? CH has got to take responsibility for that. We've been playing at way below the required tempo for some time now but getting away with it. When was the last time we looked like a top two side? Hoping that we can bounce back from this or our next two home games are going to be uncomfortable viewing.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
What a frustrating game to watch. We were very poor in the first half and not a whole lot better in the second. Allowing Ipswich to score when they had only ten men on the pitch was unforgiveable. Top marks to the fans for getting right behind the team in the 2nd half, but we did not get the response we deserved.

Stockdale 7. Two very good saves, but was he at fault from their goal?
Bruno 6. The sponsors must have been watching a different game to give him MOM. He was OK, but way below his best.
Duffy 7. OK. Should have scored.
Dunk 7. Another silly yellow. He needs to keep his brain in gear. Some nice runs upfield late in the second half.
Pocognoli 7. Decent game.
Stephens 4. Very poor by his standards. Shocking passing in the first half. Some improvement later on. One excellent long-range shot.
Sidwell 8. Had a very good game. MOM
Knockaert 5. Some shocking passing coupled with poor decision making. Needs to have a sit down with the manager who should run through the match video with him and ask him what the hell he was thinking.
March 7. Not up to his recent standards.
Baldock 7. OK
Hemed 6. Good penalty, but apart from that nothing special.

Subs:
Murray 7. Should he have scored with the shot that hit the bar?
Murphy 8. Much to my surprise the lad did good when he came on.
Akpom 7. I think he will come good given more time on the pitch. should have been given 20 mins instead of ten.

Just got home after a long drive up the M40 reflecting on tonight's performance and what might have been. I am gutted, to be honest, because that very much seemed 2 points lost. Pretty much agree with the above summary which - from where I sit in WSL - seems quite balanced. It was incredibly frustrating viewing at times and unfortunately we seemed to make the wrong final decision at the end of most of our forward forays, shooting when we should have passed and vice versa. A lot of crosses were either over hit, passes fell short or went astray (Stevens being the main culprit, especially in the first half) and you just felt from an early stage that it wasn't going to be our night. Indeed, Ipswich could arguably have nicked it but for a couple of fine saves from Stockers. There doesn't seem to be the tenacity in our tackling and the flair that we saw earlier in the season, when we went at it "out of the blocks". It was always going to be a tough season and there's a long way to go yet, but you can't help feeling that we need to get back to winning ways ASAP to thwart the challenge of what is turning out to be a rampant Huddersfield. Our next three games are really tough, with a trip to an in-form Barnsley followed by Reading and Newcastle visiting the Amex. We simply have to get a decent points haul from those games to keep the pressure on Newcastle and Huddersfield. As I have said in another thread, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that three teams could reach 90+ points this season. It is certainly mathematically possible.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stockdale 7 - could've been a lot worse without him
Bruno 6
Duffy 6
Dunk 7 - looked very unlucky with the yellow. Some good runs forward
Pocognoli 6
Knockaert 4.5 - one of his worst. Misplaced passes and failed fancy tricks
Sidwell 7.5 - another very solid performance. MOTM
Stephens 5 - gave the ball away far too much
March 6
Baldock 6
Hemed 6

Murray 5 - looked lazy again, including needless offsides
Akpom 6.5 - quick and strong, starting to like the look of him. A handful.
Murphy 7 - best of the wingers on the day, looked lively

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Looking on from the North I am a bit concerned now. I think we are really missing Calderwood. Some thoughts on individual players last night..
Stockdale - being required to keep us alive way too often at the moment. Thank heavens we have him
Bruno - hate to say it but his powers are in decline now. Passed inside too often
Dunk - pressure getting to him and wouldnt be surprised if he gets red carded soon. This is what will prevent him ever being in the Lawrenson class
Stephens - not the performance of a PL quality player
Knockaert - you are allowed to pass to your team mates and you're not meant to pass to the opposition
Murphy - no longer frustrating, just disappointing. Consistently poor final ball. Has not progressed
Akpom - lacking confidence when through on goal

At the moment we are relying a lot on set pieces, in that case Norwood and Skalak ought to be playing.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Stockdale- 8 mom kept us in it
Bruno - 6
Dunk - 6
Duffy - 6.5
Pocognoli - 7
Sidwell - 7
Stephens- 6.5
Baldock 6.5 - should have stayed on
March - 7 should have stayed on
Knockaert- 6
Hemed - 6

Murphy- 4 shocking -no end product
Akpom -2 brings nothing
Murray- 6

Hughton - 5 poor decisions last night. Would not have taken off March or Baldock so early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Stockdale 7 Kept us in it
Bruno 6 Just not great at defending
Dunk 7 Played well
Duffy 6 Not as dominant as usual
Stevens 4 Very poor
Sidwell 7 Played well
March 3 Contributed nothing
Hemed 4 Marked up for penalty. Doesnt make himself available and very poor irst touch
Baldock 4 Again poor first touch.
Knockhaert 4 Very poor.
Murphy Made a difference
Murray At least he can control ball
Akpom Unlike Baldock and Hemed at least gave defenders something to think about.
Was impressed with ipswich going forward very mobile. We were so poor in first half why didnt subs come on at half time

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Stephens was still reflecting on his sell our interview with Naylor.... 4 at best.

Knocky was just trying to over complicate every thing, four back heels none actually worked. - 4.5

Stockdale made a few good saves, but rarely dominates his area, this causes panic. - 5.5

March was not helped by a flaky Pocognoli performance behind him, so gets a 6.

Sidwell -7

6.5 for every one else.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here