Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] New Sussex batting coach

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex have finally got round to appointing a permanent batting coach ... and it's Michael Yardy.

While it's good that we have a coach and it's good to someone with a Sussex pedigree (even if he was born in Kent and supports West Ham) but, judging by his stance by the end of his career, I'm not sure he's totally the right person to pick up on bad technique :lolol:

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
So that'll be a new generation of Sussex Cricketers starting their stance 3 yards outside leg stump and walking to off stump on the bowlers release.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sussex have finally got round to appointing a permanent batting coach ... and it's Michael Yardy.

While it's good that we have a coach and it's good to someone with a Sussex pedigree (even if he was born in Kent and supports West Ham) but, judging by his stance by the end of his career, I'm not sure he's totally the right person to pick up on bad technique :lolol:

LOL..................Kirtley for bowling coach then ? :laugh:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

:nono:

Nice chap. I spoke to him briefly on Saturday (ooh get me.. #HB&B).

But what are his credentials for this? As you say, if he's unable to get a handle on his own technique, what is he going to achieve for the others?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He scored a lot of runs, which is what batsmen are supposed to do. I'm not sure I agree that him having his own unorthodox technique will mean he'll coach it into others.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
LOL..................Kirtley for bowling coach then ? :laugh:

When I was doing my Level 2 coaching course, I was partnered with James for a day and had to comment on his bowling action - I was very diplomatic (and was conscious of the fact that he had to comment on mine).

He was actually a lovely bloke, very helpful and is working his way of the coaching ladder so don't be surprised if he does end up at Sussex in the future.

Yards, by all accounts, is a lovely bloke too and full credit to him for the way to overcame his demons but that technique is rather worrying.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As a sidenote my team uses the nets at the County Ground, if you ever want to learn how to play the swinging ball then book a net there, it hoops round corners and we're pretty shit.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I've got tons of time for Yards - he always worked extremely hard through his own career, and obviously carries a lot of goodwill in the game. If his attitude rubs off on our younger players coming through, that can only be a good thing.

That said, it's another coaching recruit with a strong whiff of complacency. Davis, Greenfield, Hopkinson, Lewis and now Yardy - all old boys and all contributors to the slump of the last five years.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I am prepared to see this as good news. He was captain, he is a former England Player and must know what batting successfully involves. There are positive comments about his personality. We needed somebody so let's see how this goes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've got tons of time for Yards - he always worked extremely hard through his own career, and obviously carries a lot of goodwill in the game. If his attitude rubs off on our younger players coming through, that can only be a good thing.

That said, it's another coaching recruit with a strong whiff of complacency. Davis, Greenfield, Hopkinson, Lewis and now Yardy - all old boys and all contributors to the slump of the last five years.

True. My lad was playing indoor league a couple of seasons ago on Sunday evenings at the Ground, Yards was usually there on the treadmill, on his own. Machan was at McDonalds :D:D

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yardy's alright, he's a good guy. He's a Hastings lad. He used to drink in the same pub as me in Hastings Old Town on a Saturday night years back before he turned pro at Sussex.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm not sure I agree that him having his own unorthodox technique will mean he'll coach it into others.

THIS !

Elite coaching is very different to basics - Elite coaching, you work with what's in front of you and tweak & tune - for basic learners, a demo is often required but I doubt Yards would demo his trigger to these sorts of player.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good luck to Yards. Whether he has the technical credentials to be a batting coach only time will tell. And t could be worse: imagine if he were appointed the spin bowling coach. We'd be throwing more darts than Phil Taylor!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yardy's alright, he's a good guy. He's a Hastings lad. He used to drink in the same pub as me in Hastings Old Town on a Saturday night years back before he turned pro at Sussex.

Yeah, fine. He's a good bloke and great to have a drink with, but that doesn't qualify him as a batting coach though does it?

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, I really want him to be successful, but it does have a bit of a whiff of 'jobs for the boys' about it. I know I'm sounding bitter and cynical when I really want to be positive and upbeat - but this is Sussex we're talking about and it's very hard to be positive!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here