Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice: Neighbour's drain

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
I've got a question about drains and thought the hive mind of NSC might be able to help, here goes:

My neighbour's drain runs under my fence to a manhole under the decking, it then turns a right angle and runs under our house to the main sewer. We need to move the part before any waste from our house joins it, who's responsibility is it? How would I find out if it is our responsibility to keep it working?!?

Thanks in advance

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i would guess if its on your property, its your responsibility. its surely not common for them to run under another house anyway i understand, that seems bad luck for starters.

its not technically the responsibility of the water board until it hits the public highway (I think)

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
If it's shared and it's on your property even if you don't use it, it is the water company's responsibility. Good luck if it's Southern Water.

All the laws changed in 2011.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
i would guess if its on your property, its your responsibility. its surely not common for them to run under another house anyway i understand, that seems bad luck for starters.

its not technically the responsibility of the water board until it hits the public highway (I think)

All completely wrong.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure what your post actually is trying to say? Are you trying to re route the drain so it doesn't go under your house or so it doesn't go under the decking?

Either way, I think in respect of drains, if they are under your property then they're your responsibility. Best bet will be to contact the company that deals with your waste water.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Chuck some Anthrax through his letterbox

Job's a good 'un:thumbsup::jester:

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I've got a question about drains and thought the hive mind of NSC might be able to help, here goes:

My neighbour's drain runs under my fence to a manhole under the decking, it then turns a right angle and runs under our house to the main sewer. We need to move the part before any waste from our house joins it, who's responsibility is it? How would I find out if it is our responsibility to keep it working?!?

Thanks in advance

So your neighbour's drain runs across your property to join up with the main sewer line ?

Then your drain line runs into this branch line that comes from your neighbour's property, then this sewer line (servicing your neighbour's property then your property) then connects into the main sewer line ?

Is the connection (an easement) to the main sewer line from where yours and the neighbour's shared line connect to it, located anywhere on your property ?

Or does the sewer line that carries the waste from your property and your neighbour's property join the Main sewer line, on another property or council controlled land?

And what is the reason why you need to move your sewer line ?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

Thanks in advance

If it's shared and it's on your property even if you don't use it, it is the water company's responsibility. Good luck if it's Southern Water.

All the laws changed in 2011.

Very much this. It is the water companies responsibility the second that it crosses the property boundary even if it is single serving. Next door will be head of run so you will need to ensure that all work is done correctly or they may self flood. There used to be a rule (and I think it is still in place) that should you make any changes to the public sewerage system then you become the owner for it unless you can have it adopted. the problem with getting it adopted is that you have a lot of red tape to go through.

You would need to contact the sewerage supplier should you wish to make any changes, however unless there is a valid reason then they will simply say no (if it is the company that I spent 7 years with). I guess the main question is why you wish to move it and where to?

If it is for an extension that a build over agreement would be far less costly. I guess if it is a swimming pool then you would need to also get a discharge license I believe to ensure that you do not overload the system when emptying it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Thanks in advance

My advice is - Get the patio dug up. Once you discover the identity the body under it then it should become clear who's problem it is.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Apologies, but on the subject of drains and all things waste, have just seen this on TV, really....................!

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
Wow thanks for all of the replies, both the puns and ones packed of info.

I got my pens out and have drawn a diagram to show what I'm banging on about. We plan on taking the deck up and having an extension, it would fill in the space on the side and go back a few metres too. We'd end up with the manhole on our new kitchen and are debating between moving it or having a sealed hatch. Got us thinking how do we have our neighbours' waste flowing under our home anyway!?

a2f9484e7b96d7884a5b7a7b04c565e0.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wow thanks for all of the replies, both the puns and ones packed of info.

I got my pens out and have drawn a diagram to show what I'm banging on about. We plan on taking the deck up and having an extension, it would fill in the space on the side and go back a few metres too. We'd end up with the manhole on our new kitchen and are debating between moving it or having a sealed hatch. Got us thinking how do we have our neighbours' waste flowing under our home anyway!?

a2f9484e7b96d7884a5b7a7b04c565e0.jpg

Is there anything else joining from beyond your neighbours side? If not and it is as you've drawn in, then in practice until your drain joins the sewer it is a private sewer as it serves only 1 property i.e. your neighbour. However, as soon as yours joins it it becomes a 'public sewer' and you will not be able to build over that part forward or divert it unless you complete a Build Over application to the water authority (which isn't cheap).

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/build-over-public-sewer

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Mustafa is right.
Whatever you do keep the manhole accessible somehow.
The only good news is that should the drains back up the water company has to come sort it free of charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here