Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens - Press Conference

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I'm sure he'll keep his options open in the summer and (if we go up) see how competitive we are with our offer.

But it all depends doesn't it on who else is interested in him? If Burnley were still interested, and were the only ones, I doubt he'd go there because we could presumably offer at least as much in wages.

Whereas if, for argument's sake, Everton offered him a deal it would probably be £10k or £20k a week more to join a bigger club. And he'd be off.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Just non commitaal really. What you would expect a player to say.
Work hard till last day ect ect.
What I would say he has wasn't a right to play PL football. Dominates games from CM and I'd go as far to say best CM in the division bar non. He's not sulked that I can tell knuckled down and I think that shows by our results with him in the team. I hope he stays but either way he's been tremendous this year and early the right to play where he wants next year. Hopefully it will be here

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Very non-commital but I suppose that's how you should play it with negotiations ongoing. If he is off, gotta say fair play to him for getting on with his job and not throwing his toys out of the pram after the summer. Should be a given, but it's definitely not the case for footballers it seems.

greenfordgull

Feb 2, 2009
The best way of him getting a really good deal is to have an offer that he would be willing to accept on the table. He will get that I suspect if we are promoted (he sounds basically happy in many respects, other than the division we are currently in).

It is in professional and financial best interests to work hard to get us promoted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would take good signing on fee to keep him probably, that is assuming we are promoted, but then it will cost a fair bit to replace him so perhaps bite the bullet and give him the money to keep what you have.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It would take good signing on fee to keep him probably, that is assuming we are promoted, but then it will cost a fair bit to replace him so perhaps bite the bullet and give him the money to keep what you have.

Why? Give me a good reason. He has no Prem experience, we would have a 120 million purse that could see him replaced with an experienced Prem player, why would we be so desperate?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
'It's a great club, whether I finish here this year or not'

Nothing wrong with this quote, simply non-committal. He goes onto say that regardless, he would like to see this club in the PL.

'I had to knuckle down, I enjoyed playing for this football club'

You left out the second half of this where he goes onto say ".. and I will continue to do so until my last day"

He will have a last day, doesn't mean it has to be in May this year.

'I'll try to work hard right up to my last day at this football club'

Can't find this quote, think you've just made it up based on the second half of what you omitted above.

Basically he is keeping his options open, as you would expect. If it's just Burnley coming in for him in the Summer then i'd wager he'll be signing here. If it's a higher calibre club who could potentially offer more money then he will go elsewhere.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Why? Give me a good reason. He has no Prem experience, we would have a 120 million purse that could see him replaced with an experienced Prem player, why would we be so desperate?

You are asking for a good reason why we should offer a generous signing on fee to keep him, as opposed to reducing our budget by spending excessively on a replacement?

Stephens is comfortably a PL player. There are current PL players in his position earning 3x what he makes who are not at his level. Say what you like about Dyche, he has a decent eye for a player who can put themselves around the pitch and compete at the highest level.

He, along with Stockdale, would be the best first signings we could make if we can get promoted.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Thought it was all a bit bland and non-committal, exactly what I'd have expected really although easy to interpret a lost of 'past tense' comments like 'I've enjoyed my time here' etc as a signal that he's off. He's in a great position personally - if he stays in form and doesn't get injured, he'll probably have multiple PL options in the next window (including potentially here) and be in line for a whopping sign-on fee. He's a professional and I've no doubt he'll stay focused as long as he's playing here - it'll up his negotiating position with any club significantly so every incentive to keep playing well.

From our perspective, there are a few positions that will need to be looked at - his may or may not end up being one of them but no point worrying about that until May.

If we are promoted at least half of the team will need to be replaced and it would still be on the cards we will be back in the Championship the following season, no doubt he is looking for a club who have survived a few seasons and are more likely to stay in the Premiership.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Not seen it, but he is a vital player for us for the next 16 games - we can worry about other games later

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we are promoted at least half of the team will need to be replaced and it would still be on the cards we will be back in the Championship the following season, no doubt he is looking for a club who have survived a few seasons and are more likely to stay in the Premiership.
No doubt? He was looking to join Burnley who'd only just gone up. Did last year's 3 promoted teams replace half their squad?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton

Slow down a bit.... The spine of this current squad is more than good enough for the Premier League. Problem is Stephens is a vital part of that spine.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't mean to sound harsh, but players come and go all the time. So if he decides to leave for another club, then good luck to him. All I care about is that he gives 100% when he plays for the Albion and helps to club get the promotion that everyone is gunning for.

Anyway, It's not as if it's CALDE leaving. I'm STILL not over that :cry::tantrum::love:

Hugh Jorgan

Jul 30, 2008
Brighton
Who was the bloke asking the questions in that press conference, not the first one but the second one ?

Painful listening to him, he is either very nervous or completely unprepared as to what to ask.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I thought he gave the usual stock answers when a player is questioned about being out of contract in near future why lay all your cards on the table when contract negotiations are around the corner..." I'm happy at this club and always have been" I will continue to do my best for this team" "I enjoy playing with this team and for this manager" weather(whether) that finishes this year or not I will continue giving my best to get this club to the premier league

My impression is that he has been very professional in his behaviour and has shown great attitude.
Also very impressed with his restraint when dealing with some very poor questions. 6 mins on!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here