Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens - Press Conference

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm afraid that is wishful thinking. He turns 28 this summer so his next contract will be the one that sets up his retirement. He'll just go to whichever club offers him the most money and longest secure deal, which could be us IF we get promoted. Can't blame him for being non-commital with a 3rd of the season to play.

He will also get a chunk in signing on fee for being a freebie.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He said, “I’m enjoying playing again. I’ve been in the team for a number of consecutive games now, I’m back playing and I feel physically fit. Hopefully I can do a job for the team.

“I’ve enjoyed playing with Siddy. I’ve played with Beram [Kayal] for a long time and I’ve enjoyed it. He [Sidwell] leads with his experience and is a good bloke to have around the team as well.

“It’s nice to be back, picking up points and starting to win games again.”

http://mobile.seagulls.co.uk//news/...righton-hove-albion-cardiff-city-3449765.aspx

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
They can talk to overseas clubs, not english ones.

Didn't realise that. But in truth I'm sure clubs will already be sounding out players unofficially. In fact the pessimistic side of me wonders whether Burnley have already had a quiet chat around a signing on fee for when his contract expires!!!! Surely not.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I presume the same situation with the other players out of contract, the concern for me is that the likes of Stephens and Stockdale are now able to talk to other clubs when the last window closed. Surely the likes of Dunk and others who have penned new contracts must have improved terms in there depending on what division we are playing in, begs the question why we couldn't have offered the same to those that we want to keep.

I'm never sure of the rules for that. I thought you couldn't talk to clubs in the same country until about three months before your contract ends (not six) but could be wrong.

I don't see any reason for Stephens or Stockdale to rush a decision (in Stockdale's case, we don't even know he's had an offer as we've heard nothing).

I'm sure those offers were made to out of contract players but the reason Stephens is not signing is he wants to play in the Premier League. If he comes out now and says he's definitely staying, he wouldn't be telling the truth. His comments as written on here (I've not heard the interview) seem reasonably non committal.

If we go up, losing a couple of players like Stockdale and Stephens would be a big blow but with so much money in the Premier League, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Much worst if we don't go up.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Didn't realise that. But in truth I'm sure clubs will already be sounding out players unofficially. In fact the pessimistic side of me wonders whether Burnley have already had a quiet chat around a signing on fee for when his contract expires!!!! Surely not.
I'm sure you are right and unofficial chats happen all the time.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Even if we're promoted? Is it because of the northern thing?

Suspect that may well be the case, but who knows.

so he is going to palarse then
glen was home sick and wanted up north and look where he ended up ...................bugger me he even had a house down here
AND THANK GOD HE CAME BACK

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I presume the same situation with the other players out of contract, the concern for me is that the likes of Stephens and Stockdale are now able to talk to other clubs when the last window closed. Surely the likes of Dunk and others who have penned new contracts must have improved terms in there depending on what division we are playing in, begs the question why we couldn't have offered the same to those that we want to keep.

How do you know we haven't offered them excellent improved terms? You can't force them to sign.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
He's off isn't he.

For those that have Seagulls Player and watched today press conference I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

For those that haven't, when questioned about his future he pretty much suggested and insinuated (IMO) that he'll be off in the summer.

How did you conclude this from THAT press conference?

Is this the first time you've watched him being interviewed? I would search back on player to when he actually signed for us and watch that one if you think he isn't being motivational enough.

Nothing of what he said is unexpected under the circumstances, he does not motion his words too far either way because of the simple fact he does not know what is going to happen regarding the club and promotion, and none of us do. I actually thought he had more encouraging things to say about the possibility of staying than he has ever done before.

Now a load of people are going to comment on this thread topic as if he's off, without actually watching the interview. I would suggest you do before commenting.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm sure it's not beyond the realms of possibility to hold talks for two different contracts, one for the Prem, one for the Championship.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
How did you conclude this from THAT press conference?

Is this the first time you've watched him being interviewed? I would search back on player to when he actually signed for us and watch that one if you think he isn't being motivational enough.

Nothing of what he said is unexpected under the circumstances, he does not motion his words too far either way because of the simple fact he does not know what is going to happen regarding the club and promotion, and none of us do. I actually thought he had more encouraging things to say about the possibility of staying than he has ever done before.

Now a load of people are going to comment on this thread topic as if he's off, without actually watching the interview. I would suggest you do before commenting.

As you've highlighted in Bold...... IMO.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
'It's a great club, whether I finish here this year or not'
'I had to knuckle down, I enjoyed playing for this football club'
'I'll try to work hard right up to my last day at this football club'

Maybe I've taken things in the wrong context but nothing in that interview suggested to me he is going to be here next season. I so hope I've got this wrong.

Not a great deal that suggests he won't either. Very non committal as you'd expect. Optimists will grasp at the positives, pessimists at the slightest negative.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Makes me wonder is it because we don't have a song to sing about him . There's a song about everyone else pretty much . Hes clearly one of our best overall players - he was sublime on Saturday . And yet no song - no wonder hes thinking about leaving ....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Makes me wonder is it because we don't have a song to sing about him . There's a song about everyone else pretty much . Hes clearly one of our best overall players - he was sublime on Saturday . And yet no song - no wonder hes thinking about leaving ....

I'd leave JUST for that... b'stards!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If he goes then I wish him well, but I'm not going to fret over it. Plenty more decent midfielders out there.

As someone said earlier Houghton and the current recruitment team have got the majority of decisions that they have taken correct to date.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm afraid that is wishful thinking. He turns 28 this summer so his next contract will be the one that sets up his retirement. He'll just go to whichever club offers him the most money and longest secure deal, which could be us IF we get promoted. Can't blame him for being non-commital with a 3rd of the season to play.

I think you'll find he's pretty astute and already set up for retirement with a string of property investments. I don't believe his desire is to get a big pay check and sit on a bench on the periphery of a 25 man squad but he actually wants to pit himself against the best on the pitch. If we go up, staying here will be one of his leading options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here