Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hello again....the Ipswich view

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
Unfortunately I can't make it along tomorrow night - think it's the first BHA away trip I've missed in the last ten or so which is a shame.

Good to see you people having a good season - just shows what a decent Championship boss can do with patience, training ground coaching and resources to bring players in. Hughton is an excellent choice at this level and looking forward to see you going up with Newcastle.

We've had a very inconsistent season - injuries haven't helped, lack of investment hasn't helped and selling Daryl Murphy on the last day of the summer window without a replacement definitely didn't help.

However, we are where we are as we simply haven't been as good on the pitch than the last few seasons.

You'll probably have see our rotten display at Lincoln but actually just before and since then we have stuck with a new identity, new players and the confidence is beginning to come back - our last two performances have shown that.

We have some real injury problems at centre back for tomorrow - Christophe Berra, Steven Taylor, Adam Webster (great young player) and Tommy Smith are all out.

However, we have Tom Lawrence and David McGoldrick fit and firing up front - without doubt our best two technical players who play with their heads up.

I'm expecting a 3-1 Brighton home win - in a lot of ways it's a bit of a 'free' game for us on the back of the win at Villa.

I just hope we continue the last two performances, see it as a chance to pit our wits against the division's best and build some more confidence and begun to build a new identity.

All the best
AL

PS : Not that anyone is bothered, but I'm a Mick McCarthy fan. He can come across arrogant and has never really bonded with Ipswich fans but he is working on buttons and string. You can get a lot worse than Mick in that context.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Unfortunately I can't make it along tomorrow night - think it's the first BHA away trip I've missed in the last ten or so which is a shame.

Good to see you people having a good season - just shows what a decent Championship boss can do with patience, training ground coaching and resources to bring players in. Hughton is an excellent choice at this level and looking forward to see you going up with Newcastle.

We've had a very inconsistent season - injuries haven't helped, lack of investment hasn't helped and selling Daryl Murphy on the last day of the summer window without a replacement definitely didn't help.

However, we are where we are as we simply haven't been as good on the pitch than the last few seasons.

You'll probably have see our rotten display at Lincoln but actually just before and since then we have stuck with a new identity, new players and the confidence is beginning to come back - our last two performances have shown that.

We have some real injury problems at centre back for tomorrow - Christophe Berra, Steven Taylor, Adam Webster (great young player) and Tommy Smith are all out.

However, we have Tom Lawrence and David McGoldrick fit and firing up front - without doubt our best two technical players who play with their heads up.

I'm expecting a 3-1 Brighton home win - in a lot of ways it's a bit of a 'free' game for us on the back of the win at Villa.

I just hope we continue the last two performances, see it as a chance to pit our wits against the division's best and build some more confidence and begun to build a new identity.

All the best
AL

PS : Not that anyone is bothered, but I'm a Mick McCarthy fan. He can come across arrogant and has never really bonded with Ipswich fans but he is working on buttons and string. You can get a lot worse than Mick in that context.
Cheers. Have no problem whatsoever with MM. Seems a sound bloke and a good mate of Hughton's by all accounts which is good enough for me.

Seagull Mags

Aug 18, 2016

All the best
AL

Nice post and a good report on your current status..... considering the lack of investment I think MM is working miracles, Villa losing ruined my acca last week but fair play a very good result (I hear it was snatch and grab but they all count)

I recall last season MM saying he would love to do Brighton a favour and beat Middlesbrough so top man in my eyes!

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
Nice post and a good report on your current status..... considering the lack of investment I think MM is working miracles, Villa losing ruined my acca last week but fair play a very good result (I hear it was snatch and grab but they all count)

I recall last season MM saying he would love to do Brighton a favour and beat Middlesbrough so top man in my eyes!

Villa definitely on top in the first half and probably deserved to lead. The first team I have ever seen who have tried to physically intimidate us so blatantly since we've had McCarthy as manager.

However, despite losing two centre backs we stood up to it and played very well second half capped with a late winner.

Villa fans not happy.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Have to say, despite your horrible form and although I can empathise with a lack of progress, I was still surprised many were turning on MM and the walkouts etc.

With the lack of investment there, you could have easily been in real trouble with someone else less experienced at the helm.

I wish you luck after our game (which I don't expect to be easy whatsoever), especially in your home fixtures against dirty and the toon.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Your strikers do concern me and we've had a notable lack of clean sheets recently, so reckon our front men will have to take their chances on Tuesday.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

All the best
AL

Thanks for the post - you're always a good poster here mate..

One question, who do you expect to deputise at CB? And what are their experience? Or will it be a player or 2 out of position?

Thanks

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015

One question, who do you expect to deputise at CB? And what are their experience? Or will it be a player or 2 out of position?

Thanks

Spence and Knudsen playing 60 minutes at centre back on Saturday and had never played there before.

Depends if we stick with 5-3-2 or 4-4-2

Luke Chambers will definitely be one centre back.

Tommy Smith is playing in the U23s tonight so doubt he will be the other one.

We may either play three centre backs in Knudsen-Chambers-Spence and the two kids at full back/wing back in Emmanuel and Kenlock.

Down to the bare bones but they will only get better playing in games like this.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
When living in Honington, I used to go and watch Ipswich play, if I couldn't make it to watch the Albion, for whatever reason.
I travelled with an out and out nut of an Ipswich fan on the coach that picked up fans along the way to Portman Road.
Always welcomed on the coach by the fans with banter prevailing, even though when Albion were playing them away, the blue scarf did have its use, apart from when the Seagull appeared.
Hopefully MM will see you right, apart from Tuesday night :thumbsup:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good luck for the rest of the season,after tonight!Hope somebody will give MM a bit of cash to splash-you might follow us up then!:thumbsup:

Yoda

English & European
One thing with your consistently inconsistent form will mean either a Brighton win or a draw. How many matches in a row is it now where you haven't had the same result twice in a row?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thanks

He's my favourite non-Albion poster. Welcome back Arnold Layne, and thanks for the astute analysis.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
As someone who lived in Suffolk during the Bobby Robson years, I have a very soft spot for Ipswich. Saw some tremendous football at Portman Road. I also like MM. A very honest man plus he has TC with him. So good luck Town for the rest of the season. Would love to see you going up next season.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Mick McCarthy is by miles my favourite (other) Championship manager.

Just seems a thoroughly DECENT bloke.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here