Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you deal with blatant xenophobia/racism from "friends" on social media?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
So I have a "friend" on Facebook (I live in a town full of expats so lots of acquaintances that have friended me on Facebook) and he posts some absolutely horrific stuff. Now I know one possibility is to simply delete him and I have been tempted to do so. However at the same time don't we have some responsibility to confront people like this? Or is it simply a waste of time to debate with people like this? What do you do?

Attached below some of his latest facebook drivel:

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 08.36.04.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 08.36.24.png

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7799101 said:
So I have a "friend" on Facebook (I live in a town full of expats so lots of acquaintances that have friended me on Facebook) and he posts some absolutely horrific stuff. Now I know one possibility is to simply delete him and I have been tempted to do so. However at the same time don't we have some responsibility to confront people like this? Or is it simply a waste of time to debate with people like this? What do you do?

View attachment 82111

View attachment 82112
There is an unfollow button

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I wouldn't want to be associated with someone like that in any way, shape or form. You're better off being shot of them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"rappers like Cuban Cigars"

I've heard of Jay Z and Eminem, but not Cuban Cigars.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I don't have many like that thankfully. Most are pretty rational and see folk as individuals.

I tend to either 'unfriend' such folk or better challenge them on their generalisations.

I have one or two committed Christians who seem to think that the Israeli government can do no wrong. I find that very disturbing.

I also have some Muslims, through my cricket connections, who say little that is contentious.

People just seem to thrive on being angry. On the other hand, treating folk as individuals and avoiding aggressive generalisations does get a bit boring sometimes. Especially when people say it is 'appeasement'.

An old boss once called me a 'wanky lefty' just because I didn't have an all sweeping view of refugees.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tell him to join the few knuckle draggers on NSC, defriend him and tell him he's a €$**%~<# c_#€.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Tell him to move to Trumps American he will be received with open arms and celebrated for his forthright views.

Unfollow no point reading these postings

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If he's only an acquaintance, then why are you still friends with him? If you need to still have him as a friend, then you can 'unfollow' without him knowing as you still remain friends, but it means you can't read his posts.

Some of my friends are really nice people in real life, but share some ridiculous memes, which I do challenge (hopefully nicely) but if they carry on, then I just ban the originator (all Britain First posts are banned, for example) or unfollow the friend. I'm sure they don't really think about their posts.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
To a much lesser degree but I have several Scottish and Irish friends who continually post anti-english stuff, of course this is meant to simply be 'bants' but I find it very tiresome.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7799101 said:

View attachment 82111

View attachment 82112

Your just one click away from freedom, you simply unfriend an idiot like that.
You can never have a rational debate on Facebook and least of all with a racist or religious fanatic of any persuasion so don't waste your energy and time.
For someone who allegedly went to a boarding school as he hints at, I would expect a more subtle hint at racism rather than the knuckle dragging bullshit he has come out with with no substance. I would bet good money he is a bullshitter anyway, and went to boot camp.

Do you actually know him.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
NSC aside,this is why i am stuck in the 19th century on such matters and do not do these types of *price comparison websites*

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here