Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists protesting about road safety

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What does that mean? Where should they go - on the driver's side of vehicles?

If there's a 'blind side', it implies drivers don't have the correct mirrors and/or visibility, which is in itself bloody dangerous.

Exactly,in cars there is a very small window/envelope of a blind spot,most people are just too lazy or ignorant to the fact to check their nearside often enough.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just a bit more respect needed all round. Too many selfish People out there on two, four and no wheels.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If there's a 'blind side', it implies drivers don't have the correct mirrors and/or visibility, which is in itself bloody dangerous.

Never driven a lorry have you? To have the "correct mirrors" the designed would need them to be quite considerably large to cover the area needed.
Complain to the manufactures/regulation authorities not the drivers.
And yes it is bloody dangerous which the cyclist seem unaware or more dramatically ignorant of.
They are the're own worst enemy sometimes thinking its safe to rides down the inside of large vehicles.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Cyclists in London are a danger to everyone. I was stopping at a traffic light and a cyclist wanting to turn right was anticipating that the light wouldn't turn red, went straight into the back of my car as I stopped. I hate driving in town with all these a-holes on bikes (of the engine variety too), just any two wheeler.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Never driven a lorry have you? To have the "correct mirrors" the designed would need them to be quite considerably large to cover the area needed.
Complain to the manufactures/regulation authorities not the drivers.
And yes it is bloody dangerous which the cyclist seem unaware or more dramatically ignorant of.
They are the're own worst enemy sometimes thinking its safe to rides down the inside of large vehicles.

Even lorries have double mirrors, one reflected to general reflection behind, and one pointing down towards the kerb to look out for nearside cyclists / pedestrians.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Even lorries have double mirrors, one reflected to general reflection behind, and one pointing down towards the kerb to look out for nearside cyclists / pedestrians.

And even then there are blind spots,i drive 7.5 tonne and have 6 mirrors two per side and one kerb and one front facing down as well as forward and rear cameras,the latestmodels have cameras that view the blind spots which ever direction you go,or if reversing the camera switches to reverse that type of thing

They are not a substitute for mirrors merely a guide..

Get into an tractor unit - Articulated vehicle and actually sit in one and it's frightening how much you cannot see in and immediately around the cab area..

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
gifA.gif

This fcktard Deliveroo rider even had the front to claim it was drivers fault and try and claim compensation for loss of earnings!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As a driver I am not perfect, as a motorcyclist I am better, as a cyclist I am almost perfect. Why? Because I realise how vulnerable I am outside of a metal box and leathers. Unfortunately many people do not realise this, motorcyclists blame the car driver far too often, cyclists generally blame anyone but themselves. Just last week I saw a lycra clad commuter warrior hairing down the outside of stationary traffic on Brighton Road, Lancing. He was entirely unaware of the wheelchair user about to emerge from the traffic into the middle of the road and suddenly had a full on emergency braking incident with wheels locked up and him threatening to go airborne over the handlebars into the wheelchair. All this kerfuffle when there is a dedicated cycle lane actually on the prom just 50 yards away, but it wouldn't have been the cyclists fault now would it?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

Many of the incidents in London have happened because a lorry has been turning left and the cyclist has been on the
inside. Yes - it's a mirror thing - but why on earth does the cyclist not hold back?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Many of the incidents in London have happened because a lorry has been turning left and the cyclist has been on the
inside. Yes - it's a mirror thing - but why on earth does the cyclist not hold back?

Cos you can always blame someone else can't you?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
On my journeys home in the evening i am seeing more and more cyclists on the seafront without any lights and dressed in dark clothing. I recently had a near miss along the seafront when a cyclist rode straight across the carriageway in the dark and almost into my path and was barely visible until the last second. No lights, dark clothing, not looking - the full house.

Most cyclists are sensible thankfully but these idiots will only have themselves to blame when they end up in hospital - or worse.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I used to cycle everywhere when I was younger, I always stayed tight to the curb and never rode on the pavement, as you were considered a pussy if you did.
I never had any problems, never wore Lycra or a helmet.

Wise words. Pavements are for pedestrians and roads are meant for cars! If a cyclist insists on riding on the roads they should ride in the gutter as tight to the curb as possible. It's just best for everyone that way.

A good guide is if the cyclist occasionally clips the curb with their pedal or comes to a brief stop in a drain grate then they're riding correctly. Oh, and they should also stop behind every parked car and look behind them first to check there's no cars behind them before riding around it. I hate those idiots that think they're clever by 'anticipating' the danger and easing out well in advance of parked cars without breaking their pedal stroke...wankers!

The most bizarre thing of all is most adult cyclists actually drive a car as well! I mean, wtf is that all about!? Why even bother cycling on the road when you've got a bloody car sat at home!? Just about sums 'em up really.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Exactly.

Those who have no lights and wear dark clothing should be restricted to private land or public parks with no vehicles.

Those lurid spandex wankers should be restricted to a velodrome, or a gym, or roads closed for organised races.

Sorted.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

well, if you want to pass a car thats too slow or turning left, yes. i repeatedly see cyclist think they dont have to obey the simple rule that you pass on the right, and frequently put themselves in danger doing so. car indicating to turn left doesnt have to wait for cyclist to pass on the inside.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
On my journeys home in the evening i am seeing more and more cyclists on the seafront without any lights and dressed in dark clothing. I recently had a near miss along the seafront when a cyclist rode straight across the carriageway in the dark and almost into my path and was barely visible until the last second. No lights, dark clothing, not looking - the full house.

Most cyclists are sensible thankfully but these idiots will only have themselves to blame when they end up in hospital - or worse.

You highlight another very real danger,at dawn dusk and especially at night,when waiting to join a main road,many motorists glance quickly looking for "lights" assuming that an idiot cyclist as you have described would not even be on the road,it's at these times its even more important to not just turn quickly but make allowance for the fact the odd idiot cyclist may be actually riding into your path on the main road....

Apologies for the use of the word "idiot" not all cyclists fall into this category..

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

I see this all the time. They will be the 1st to blame the driver if they were ever involved in a accident. Also why do we have cycle lanes when they still ride on the pavement.
When I was young if we didn't have lights we would be stopped by the police and in some instances they would take the bike to the station so you would have to pick it up with your parents. I wonder why they don't care anymore and surely you would think the greens would press home the safety issues seeing as it was one of their disasters to the local roads

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

no just join the back of the queue like everyone else, and don't come squeezing in down the inside, scratching cars paintwork or banging into their mirrors ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here