Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool Football Club ban Sun journalists

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Liverpool Football Club have banned the Sun from its Anfield stadium and Melwood training ground over the newspaper’s notorious coverage of the Hillsborough disaster, in which 96 Liverpool supporters were unlawfully killed.

The Sun will not be permitted to report on the club’s matches from Anfield and be given no access to interview players or the manager, Jürgen Klopp. The decision is understood to have been taken by Liverpool’s Boston-based owners, led by the financier John Henry, after club executives had discussions with families whose relatives were killed at Hillsborough at the 1989 FA Cup semi final.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Stable, bolted, horse, door...........................arrange them as you see fit.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Stable, bolted, horse, door...........................arrange them as you see fit.

Very much this. Seems a really bizarre decision and so long afterwards.

Almost feels like they are trying to get the fans on side after a dodgey few weeks/months of performances.

Don;t get me wrong it was a disgusting way to report and I completely understand the hatred but cannot understand banning them after this amount of time

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very much this. Seems a really bizarre decision and so long afterwards.

Almost feels like they are trying to get the fans on side after a dodgey few weeks/months of performances.

Don;t get me wrong it was a disgusting way to report and I completely understand the hatred but cannot understand banning them after this amount of time

Sums it up for me.

My first thought when I saw the story was "why now?".

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Must be a distraction from the Liverpool managers are crap thread on YNFA.I know Yanks are said to be a bit slow,but that is ridiculous.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seeing as they hate the Murdoch rag so much, will they ban the Sky Sports cameras too?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Saints were South Coast Club,wonder what LFC will be?Underperformers FC?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Slightly similar to those Albion supporters that still refuse to shop at the Goldstone Retail Park. How long do you hold a grudge.

While I am unable to say how the families feel (thankfully I have not experienced such loss) I do think that banning journalists that were not working for the Sun all those years ago does seem from the outside somewhat too late and pointless.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Slightly similar to those Albion supporters that still refuse to shop at the Goldstone Retail Park. How long do you hold a grudge.

It would be more like an Albion fan who'd visited to treat themselves to a weekly Burger King for the last ten years, suddenly NOW decide to boycott the Goldstone Retail Park.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Liverpool Football Club have banned the Sun from its Anfield stadium and Melwood training ground over the newspaper’s notorious coverage of the Hillsborough disaster, in which 96 Liverpool supporters were unlawfully killed.

The Sun will not be permitted to report on the club’s matches from Anfield and be given no access to interview players or the manager, Jürgen Klopp. The decision is understood to have been taken by Liverpool’s Boston-based owners, led by the financier John Henry, after club executives had discussions with families whose relatives were killed at Hillsborough at the 1989 FA Cup semi final.

Yeah it's weird but Newsagents still refuse to stock the Sun and even advertise that fact, in and around Liverpool. Long memories up that way

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here