Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brazilian Olympic Legacy

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Some incredible photos, unbelievable to see the Maracana like that.

It's terrible the amount of money that was pumped into Rio without any decent plan on how the venues could be maintained and operated in the future. What a waste of money. Surely the IOC needs to bring in much stricter measures with regards to the legacy of the events. If a city can't provide an operational business plan for the future they should not be fit to host the Games. I haven't visited the London Olympic Park but apart from the Stadium shambles the area seems to be doing OK compared to what we can see in Rio.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2017/feb/10/rios-olympic-venues-six-months-on-in-pictures

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
It was pretty obvious that (like with Athens) this was going to happen unfortunately. The amount that it costs to put on the Olympic Games is just not achievable for most countries, especially given their economic situations.

My other half is of the opinion that they should just stay in one country i.e. Greece for the summer olympics and then each country pays towards the upkeep etc. I can see her point, but it would mean that I wouldn't have experienced the wonder of the London 2012 Olympics...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7796274 said:
Surely the IOC needs to bring in much stricter measures with regards to the legacy of the events.

i think there's too much "legacy" as it is, half the problem is trying to convince the committee that something will be left for future. a business plan wil just be fluffed with unrealistic forecasts, signed off by a friendly auditor, which will blame any and every local and world event when it fails.

the opposite is whats needed, emphasis on re-fitting to alternative uses (London Stadium prime example) or tempoary arenas to reign in the spend, and have the IOC themselves pay for much the facilities out of the massive commercial deals they make.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Aren't fewer countries bidding bidding to host these events now? It's harder to convince people the gigantic cost is worth it. The world cup is essentially a giant extortion racket and the olympics aren't that far behind. Conmen taking advantage of world leaders egos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here