Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT Central heating boiler replacement cost

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think our boiler, fitted in 2004, is in need of replacement; There's a fault on it that no-one seems to be able to fix (when it's warmed up I get a "whirr... click" several times before it fires up and it locks out every so often).
It's a floor standing Potterton, closed loop system with a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.
Anyone know if it can be replaced with a similar ? I don't want repiping for a combi or re-siting.
What sort of money am I looking at ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
North of a grand I would think. I recently had my combi replaced and it was around £850 but included a *cough* deal.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Absolutely. It's a heat only boiler, and you can still buy floor standers. Your biggest issue might be getting the condensate away; do you have a waste/drain close by?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Absolutely. It's a heat only boiler, and you can still buy floor standers. Your biggest issue might be getting the condensate away; do you have a waste/drain close by?

could I run a pipe along the outside wall to a drain that goes to a soakaway ?
Or just have it drip onto the steps outside

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The good news being that, by replacing your old with new, it will pay for itself within a few years.

To pay for itself in a few years you either have to have a virtually non-existent bill AND a very cheap boiler AND a massive saving.

Replacing my boiler with a 30% more efficient boiler, would take about 15 years to pay for itself

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
could I run a pipe along the outside wall to a drain that goes to a soakaway ?
Or just have it drip onto the steps outside

If it's own soakaway, then it's a 500 deep hole x 300 wide, bedded with limestone chippings, put soakaway in, and surround with more Limestone chippings.
It's the 'last resort' to getting the condense away to be honest, bit of a faff, the pipework is exposed, liable to freezing (less if opened up to 32/40mm) and being knocked/banged etc. It's got the ph of tomato juice, so dont just drop it on a roof, steps or flower beds.

oh, and i recommend BB plumbing and Heating (BHA STH in WSL)

http://bbplumbing.co.uk/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here