Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shopping at The Goldstone?

ads52

Jul 31, 2011
I've just started a job with a new furniture company, who are going into the old Curry's building on the Old Shoreham Rd (Barker and Stonehouse). We were talking about our competitors and We were saying that some fans still won't shop at the Goldstone, do you still feel that way or have you moved on, now we have the Amex?

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I've moved on. Not that i've been there since mind you.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I always said that I'd never set foot there until we had our own ground again. But even now I just can't do it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Moved on, neither here no there about the issue

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always no. Never. Been there once to look. Not that I hanker for the old days (it is MUCH better now) but its about how we were ****ed over by a money and blood sucking clown, with no regard for anything. I will never shop there or buy anything. It should have a staue in the middle of it. Charlie Webb.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I've just started a job with a new furniture company, who are going into the old Curry's building on the Old Shoreham Rd (Barker and Stonehouse). We were talking about our competitors and We were saying that some fans still won't shop at the Goldstone, do you still feel that way or have you moved on, now we have the Amex?

Needs must when you have a child and birthdays, Christmas come calling.

I actually find myself fondly looking at the hove park tavern when stuck at the lights, remembering the atmosphere before those crucial games in the last few years.

D

Deleted member 2719

I never like to see a business go bust, but I would love to see that place like a ghost town. None of my cash will ever be spent on that site.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I never like to see a business go bust, but I would love to see that place like a ghost town. None of my cash will ever be spent on that site.

For a while I felt like that, but now we have come through the other side stronger, with a healthy outlook, great chairmen perhaps we had to go through that. We could never have upgraded the Goldstone to the standard of the Amex, we may have sleep walked into oblivion had we not had a shit chairman and run down ground and those things lead us all to greater things....

Yes the goldstone is a part of our past and we should never forget, but I don't hold a grudge against toys r us or dfs or whoever.

We have moved on to bigger better things, I would rather see 20+ k fans at the Amex than 8-11k at a run down goldstone. People hark on about the 30k at the Goldstone but I never saw that and it was a different time with standing and swaying I'm sure that was a very powerful memory for those that enjoyed that.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I was brought up in Goldstone Crescent. These days I look across the park and sense the absence of the ground like an amputee can still feel sensation in a missing limb. The memories are so deep that I only have to see a thread like this to conjure up images of the pre-match hustle and bustle along an Old Shoreham Road shut to traffic, a cluster of Police Motorcycles on the edge of Hove Park, the clicking of the turnstiles, the climb up the steps at the back of the North Stand ... emerging through that miserable corrugated opening to be struck by the greenest green you ever did see, the bright white lines and the hum of expectation from the gathering clans. I'm buggered if I'm ever going back there. I can't even drive past it.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Yes I was there on the East Stand just about the hallway line and remember talking to Crystal Palace fans and Sheffield United fans, no segregation of course. It was brilliant, no aggro at all. They stick in my mind because we were beating Sheffield United 3 nil and loads of fans were coming past me chanting “We’re going down again, we’re going down again”. The previous season they had been in the first division. I thought, they have come all this way from Yorkshire to see their team beat and they react like that. Respect.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Have ventured there on occasion but only in the last couple of years to toys r us. A case of needs must but until then I had avoided it like the plague

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Obviously hard for me to get there but I only went there once before emigrating and that was in the car park to collect some cash from my boss at the time. If i still lived in Brighton i suspect i would as often as possible find an alternative to shopping there (to be fair i genrerally find an alternative to shopping anywhere) as I still feel like many others that I don't want any part of going there.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I was brought up in Goldstone Crescent. These days I look across the park and sense the absence of the ground like an amputee can still feel sensation in a missing limb. The memories are so deep that I only have to see a thread like this to conjure up images of the pre-match hustle and bustle along an Old Shoreham Road shut to traffic, a cluster of Police Motorcycles on the edge of Hove Park, the clicking of the turnstiles, the climb up the steps at the back of the North Stand ... emerging through that miserable corrugated opening to be struck by the greenest green you ever did see, the bright white lines and the hum of expectation from the gathering clans. I'm buggered if I'm ever going back there. I can't even drive past it.

That has given me goose bumps just reading it - the best of times, the worst of times!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here