Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Off League Fixtures - Burton (H)?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
It seems quite possible that this weekend's fixture vs Burton Albion could be a one off league game never to be repeated. These teams could easily be two leagues apart next season and who knows what after that? I can recall being at two other fixtures which are currently one and only home league meetings.
Rushden & Diamonds in 2004 and Dagenham & Redbridge in 2011
Any others anyone?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Oh God - I'd rather we didn't get ahead of ourselves TBH.

This thread will probably be pasted on the wall of the away dressing room come Saturday lunchtime.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
It seems quite possible that this weekend's fixture vs Burton Albion could be a one off league game never to be repeated. These teams could easily be two leagues apart next season and who knows what after that? I can recall being at two other fixtures which are currently one and only home league meetings.
Rushden & Diamonds in 2004 and Dagenham & Redbridge in 2011
Any others anyone?

Really glad I made it to that game at Nene Park a few years' back (struggling with a heavy cold) Not only have the club sunk almost without trace, but the ground has gone as well.

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Not league, but I saw us play them in the Cup in the Sixties.

I remember the cup game at the Goldstone in 1968 - drew 2-2 and won replay 1-0.

We did play them once at Withdean in League 3 (4th tier) in Aug 2000 losing 2-0 but won the return fixture 2-0. They were the only league meetings.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I remember the cup game at the Goldstone in 1968 - drew 2-2 and won replay 1-0.

We did play them once at Withdean in League 3 (4th tier) in Aug 2000 losing 2-0 but won the return fixture 2-0. They were the only league meetings.

I was also at the 2-0 away win. Zamora pen. and an own goal if I recall.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
One of my earliest football memories was a league match between Chelsea and Hereford United.

Don't suppose that's going to be repeated in a hurry.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I remember Southampton fans (good naturally) retorting to our chant of 'You'll never fill your new ground' with 'You'll never see our new ground' at that last friendly at The Dell. I've also heard 'We'll never play you again' sung by us and at us. Fact is, you never know. Look at Coventry. Look at Leeds's past. Forest. Southampton. Portsmouth.

Like I said, you never know. (That's why it's so important to take in and enjoy the good times while they last. I've absolutely loved the last couple of years, despite the enormous disappointment of the play-offs. We've not seen this kind of success in terms of sustained, consistent results since the bloody 70s.) It's not inconceivable that anybody, with the possible exception of the very wealthiest elite, could end up dropping back down through the divisions like a stone, weighed down by the enormous cost of their efforts to stay up there in the first place.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here