Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Policing at London matches

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just wondered, in these hard times, how it is that the Met police justify having HUNDREDS of officers at Brentford vs Brighton, when our friends at Sussex Police need perhaps a dozen for the reverse fixture with three times the crowd.

I guess it has always been the case?

Is it just an example of London having more funding for everything? Whatever it is, it certainly makes the whole experience less pleasant. I also noticed that all of the Brentford stewards had "security" on their backs, and some of those who were walking in front of the away fans were making various gestures at us. All a far cry from the Amex experience.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just wondered, in these hard times, how it is that the Met police justify having HUNDREDS of officers at Brentford vs Brighton, when our friends at Sussex Police need perhaps a dozen for the reverse fixture with three times the crowd.

I guess it has always been the case?

Is it just an example of London having more funding for everything? Whatever it is, it certainly makes the whole experience less pleasant. I also noticed that all of the Brentford stewards had "security" on their backs, and some of those who were walking in front of the away fans were making various gestures at us. All a far cry from the Amex experience.
What sort of gestures were the Brentford "security" making?

edit: The latest Albion Roar had Darren Balkham as a guest, he sort of covers your question.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
It's funny actually. I saw something yesterday that said that apparently the Met Police want London Clubs to pay them to police at their games...

Almost seems like they are just trying to get more money...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just wondered, in these hard times, how it is that the Met police justify having HUNDREDS of officers at Brentford vs Brighton, when our friends at Sussex Police need perhaps a dozen for the reverse fixture with three times the crowd.I guess it has always been the case.Is it just an example of London having more funding for everything?
Brentford stewards had "security" on their backs, and some of those who were walking in front of the away fans were making various gestures at us

I guess it's always the case that the home stewards (some of them), are loyal supporters to the core and will forget that they are actually stewards and put their Brentford hat on!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Londoners’ safety will be put at risk if police funding is cut further

16 January 2017
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, today warned that it would become increasingly difficult to keep Londoners safe from growing security threats if the Government continues to underfund the Met, or makes further cuts in funding. Over the coming weeks, he will be calling on ministers to listen to the very serious concerns about Londoners’ safety ahead of a Government decision on funding.

As the Government prepares to change the way the policing budget is divided between forces across the country there is a real, and potentially devastating, risk that the Met could lose millions from its budget.

The last time the police funding formula was considered by the Home Office, in Autumn 2015, the Met stood to lose between £184m and £700m from its yearly budget. Ministers are expected to make a decision about whether to proceed in March.

Keeping Londoners safe is the Mayor’s highest priority, and following the horrific terrorist attacks in Berlin and Istanbul, it is more important than ever that the Met has the resources it needs to protect us.

Already, the Met is having to find £1bn of savings as a result of systematic Government cuts since 2010. So far, this has led to the loss of 2,800 police staff, including hundreds of Police Community Support Officers, and the closure of dozens of police stations and the Mayor has asked the Met to go even further in terms of restructuring and reducing back office costs to make efficiency savings.

In addition, Sadiq Khan has made the very difficult decision to raise council tax from April by an average of 8 pence a week per household to keep officer numbers as high as possible.

Today, the Mayor warns that even with this extra funding, the Met faces an extremely challenging financial situation, and if further cuts are made then a fall in police officer numbers will be inevitable.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “Keeping Londoners safe is my first priority as Mayor. That means keeping police officer numbers as high as possible, especially in the wake of recent horrific attacks in Berlin and Istanbul.

“But in the face of continued pressures on the police budget, exacerbated and deepened by central Government, this is becoming increasingly difficult.

“This year, I have done everything I can to protect police officer numbers – including making the very difficult decision to raise council tax. But if the Government subjects London’s police service to any further cuts, it will become near impossible to maintain the number of police on our streets.

“My message to the Government today is clear: Londoners’ safety will be put at risk if police funding is cut any further, and ministers must listen to our concerns.”

One of the main causes of underfunding is the Government’s refusal to fully fund activity undertaken because of London’s position as a major global capital and the seat of Government, such as diplomatic protection, and policing major events such as protests, concerts and football matches. This costs some £346m a year, but London currently receives funding from government for barely half of this.

The Met also has less money because the previous Mayor, Boris Johnson, cut the police council tax precept last year - the same year as the Mayoral election – against the advice of his own Government.

Notes to editors
• The Mayor is committed to keeping the number of police officers on London’s streets as high as possible and has added a further £24.2m for the Met this year, to keep numbers high. As part of this, last month he announced plans to increase the policing share of council tax bills by an average of 8p a week from April 2017. But in the face of continued central government cuts this is becoming increasingly difficult.

• Since 2010 the Met police have had to make £600m of savings, and over the next few years they will have to find a further £400m. This will mean a total of £1bn of savings will have been made by London’s police service.

• The Met has therefore made huge efficiencies including reducing overtime, cutting managers, selling off 120 buildings, changing procurement processes and cutting officer perks including free travel, housing and cars. Plus, the Mayor has asked them to go much further in reducing the number of managers, restructuring the way borough policing is delivered and reducing back-office costs from around 20 per cent to 15 per cent of total expenditure.

• While this Administration has increased council tax next year by the maximum amount, in order to keep officer numbers as high as possible, the fact that previous Mayor Boris Johnson did not do similar has created a funding shortfall.

• The Home Office is supposed to fully fund work undertaken because of London’s position as a major global capital, through the National and International Capital Cities Grant (NICC). This work currently costs the Met £346 million a year, although the Home Office Independent Panel believe it should cost £281 million. In fact, London receives £174m, so on either calculation it is clear that the NICC is significantly underfunded.

• The Home Office is now preparing plans to change the way the overall police budget is divided between different forces across the country, and there is a real risk that they will seek to move police funding away from London and give it to other forces instead. When they considered similar changes in late 2015, the Met stood to lose between £184m and £700m. Ministers are expected to make a decision in March.

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/mayor-warns-government

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Whatever it is, it certainly makes the whole experience less pleasant. I also noticed that all of the Brentford stewards had "security" on their backs, and some of those who were walking in front of the away fans were making various gestures at us. All a far cry from the Amex experience.

Brentford stewards are an odd bunch. The ones frisking the away fans on Sunday were on top form and v friendly but sounds like the ones in the ground who are more response stewards were being ********s and true to form. A couple of times I've been to Brentford the stewards in the ground have made gestures (usually homophobic).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Brentford stewards are an odd bunch. The ones frisking the away fans on Sunday were on top form and v friendly but sounds like the ones in the ground who are more response stewards were being ********s and true to form. A couple of times I've been to Brentford the stewards in the ground have made gestures (usually homophobic).

There were announcements being made over the tannoy, well before the match, basically informing that homophobia will not be tolerated.
Being a cynic, would that just because of they were playing the Albion, or an actual every match day event?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

That is true, they were great, especially the guy giving high fives!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
£1bn cut from the Met alone. The country should be swimming in cash with such measures being in place since 2010. Austerity has been such a great success. Oh...

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
All the away stewards there are very friendly & always have a smile on their face.

Anyone know why 1 of our fans was being marched out along the front of the stand?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I've always noticed that the Met like to bring their horses out for any London game, which I'm not sure I've seen at games in other places.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I've always noticed that the Met like to bring their horses out for any London game, which I'm not sure I've seen at games in other places.

I've noticed that as well. Might be they're an effective way of controlling where crowds go, as most London grounds tend to be surrounded by neighbourhood type areas with loads of small side streets. Or might help regulate flow of people as you're likely to slow down and get out of the way of a police horse approaching. Unless you're a pissed up Northerner in which case you try and punch it in the head.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
But then I am equally baffled why Sussex Police had the horses out v Charlton last season and the attack dogs out on the platform against Fulham this season! Not as if we even have history with either club.

The Met still police football like it is 1979 anyway. Not a clue why that should be. Football and society have moved on over the years. The Met hasn't.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
But then I am equally baffled why Sussex Police had the horses out v Charlton last season and the attack dogs out on the platform against Fulham this season! Not as if we even have history with either club.

Maybe they use matches like that for training purposes

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Some clubs sub contract stewards. If I remember rightly Crawley do. They have Security on their vests too, unless things have changed. So possibly the Brentford lot are subbed out. As for the cops, have to say, living in the dirty old town for over a decade I was quite happy to see their presence. Totally different world in the capital.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Went by coach to Brentford. In one of the pubs pre match the Sussex police 'spotters' came through. Smiles and a chat as their job is to know everyone. I wouldn't say there were any more than the required amount of stewards at the gate for a 1700 away crowd. Inside they seemed polite.
On leaving I aked a copper the quickest way to the coaches but he was from Brighton. Stood next to him was a Met officer. His comments and attitude reminded me of the bad old days in the 70's when away fans were treated like animals (I know because I was there). Had I questioned his comments I'd have been arrested for sure. The look on the Brighton coppers face showed his shock.
And before you ask, one pint in the pub because no one told me the ground was dry.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
To be fair to them, there are a lot of 'crews' around London that might regard a Brighton game as a good one to pay a visit to. I remember a Selhurst game a while back when around 100 blokes in Burberry hats/ no colours turned up, clearly looking for trouble. The police did a great job of shepherding them in and keeping them away from trouble.
Given we've no track record of trouble (recently, anyway), and the Amex is pretty well-designed to cope with crowds (no backstreets etc), I'm sure it's a lot easier for Sussex police than the met at Griffin Park

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Met have always used horses and always been massive bellends. It'll still be the same in 2117.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Went by coach to Brentford. In one of the pubs pre match the Sussex police 'spotters' came through. Smiles and a chat as their job is to know everyone. I wouldn't say there were any more than the required amount of stewards at the gate for a 1700 away crowd. Inside they seemed polite.
On leaving I aked a copper the quickest way to the coaches but he was from Brighton. Stood next to him was a Met officer. His comments and attitude reminded me of the bad old days in the 70's when away fans were treated like animals (I know because I was there). Had I questioned his comments I'd have been arrested for sure. The look on the Brighton coppers face showed his shock.
And before you ask, one pint in the pub because no one told me the ground was dry.

Blimey, what did he say?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I have always found the Police very over the top in London. I don't think it is any coincidence we very rarely get a Saturday KO. The only ones they don't seem to mind are Charlton and Fulham and that is probably because their fanbase is about as intimidating as The Teletubbies. In fact in recent years I remember it being ridiculously heavy when we have been coming home through London let alone playing there. Wigan away the season before last I remember an entire tube station being basically shut down so they could move us on ASAP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here