Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Really, really O/T. Anyone know a very good organist?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This is pretty out there, I know, but here goes.

A friend of mine is getting married in a cathedral in November and I said that I might be able to source an organist. I said this because I know (knew, as it turns out) a retired principal organist of St Pauls. On contacting him, I got a very nice email back from his widow saying that he'd died about 5 months ago. :facepalm:

Before I go back to the bride-to-be saying I can't help, I thought that someone on here might know of somebody of similar standing. Unlikely, I know, but...does anyone know anyone who's good enough and has played such an instrument before and who might be up for a gig in November?

Long shot, right?

Oh, applications from [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] and [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] discouraged. :wink:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
This is pretty out there, I know, but here goes.

A friend of mine is getting married in a cathedral in November and I said that I might be able to source an organist. I said this because I know (knew, as it turns out) a retired principal organist of St Pauls. On contacting him, I got a very nice email back from his widow saying that he'd died about 5 months ago. :facepalm:

Before I go back to the bride-to-be saying I can't help, I thought that someone on here might know of somebody of similar standing. Unlikely, I know, but...does anyone know anyone who's good enough and has played such an instrument before and who might be up for a gig in November?

Long shot, right?

Oh, applications from [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] and [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] discouraged. :wink:

I might be able to help.

If you can PM the date and location, I can check with a couple of people I know.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Expecting lots of jokes about how everyone here is good at playing with their organ.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I have be known to play the organ on occasions and in the odd cathedral, but perhaps for the end of the market you seem to be looking, I do have connections with several professional organists... not sure what sort of fees we are talking but I am happy to put you in touch. Which cathedral is it?

(although to be honest, I would have expected a cathedral to offer up a list... from the incumbent organist, through scholars to local and very able deputies etc..)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
One of the NSC moderators in an extremely accomplished musician and organist. He could be your man if he fancies doing it.

Edit: see post above...!

Which cathedral? Titanic you should do it - you are easily good enough for only the most discerning professional not to be happily impressed - aren't you?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have be known to play the organ on occasions and in the odd cathedral, but perhaps for the end of the market you seem to be looking, I do have connections with several professional organists... not sure what sort of fees we are talking but I am happy to put you in touch. Which cathedral is it?

(although to be honest, I would have expected a cathedral to offer up a list... from the incumbent organist, through scholars to local and very able deputies etc..)

It's Wells. The cathedral organist is apparently away on the date of the wedding. They have indeed offered scholars, but the bride-to-be is nervous about accepting someone of relative inexperience (unnecessarily so, imo). I don't know about local deputies, but that has to be a good alternative too - I'll enquire of her whether she's been offered any. Fees are unlikely to be a problem for this particular wedding.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's Wells. The cathedral organist is apparently away on the date of the wedding. They have indeed offered scholars, but the bride-to-be is nervous about accepting someone of relative inexperience (unnecessarily so, imo). I don't know about local deputies, but that has to be a good alternative too - I'll enquire of her whether she's been offered any. Fees are unlikely to be a problem for this particular wedding.

If the cathedral offer an organ scholar - I would bite their hand off personally. If they want to spend money on a top end recitalist - I can put you in touch with two of the country's finest.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If the cathedral offer an organ scholar - I would bite their hand off personally. If they want to spend money on a top end recitalist - I can put you in touch with two of the country's finest.

OK - I know they've offered a choice of two. Perhaps I should push her harder in that direction? A scholar would have the dual advantages of being local and, perhaps more importantly, really knowing the instrument, right?

I should have known that NSC would be able to deliver on this, perhaps the most obscure request I've ever made. Shame on me for doubting...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
OK - I know they've offered a choice of two. Perhaps I should push her harder in that direction? A scholar would have the dual advantages of being local and, perhaps more importantly, really knowing the instrument, right?

I should have known that NSC would be able to deliver on this, perhaps the most obscure request I've ever made. Shame on me for doubting...

Looking on their website... if someone like their Senior Organ Scholar James Kealey is on offer... I would definitely go for him.

I have sung in Wells Cathedral but not played there... lovely place for a wedding!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here