Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'French Film' thread

Had a good look for it, couldn't find it anywhere.

Anyway, yesterday finally got round to watching Celda 211, I heard there was gonna be a US remake but you can bet your bollocks they'll change/ruin the ending like they did with The Vanishing.

Other gem's I've caught up with this cold month are Hidden (Cache) and a lovely Russian film that's on Sky cinema called Tangerines.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Top 'coming of age' movie with a 9 minute or so 'action' scene. Future Bond girl too in Léa Seydoux. Love it.

MV5BMTQ5NTg5ODk4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODc4MTMzMDE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I remember some critic saying that the French had only ever made one film but over the years had shot it from thousands of different angles.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I watched two French film while studying French A Levels: La Haine which was superb, and Tanguy which I felt was just plain weird. Then I forced myself to watch Irréversible a couple of years ago. Let's just say, it's best to watch it on an empty stomach - but what these all show is that the French know how to make provocative movies.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Top 'coming of age' movie with a 9 minute or so 'action' scene. Future Bond girl too in Léa Seydoux. Love it.

View attachment 82013

My memory of watching that film was that I chose to see it on a Monday evening just prior to playing what was then my regular Monday night football game. Thinking of the football, and how far I had to travel to play after the conclusion of the film, I actually went to see the film in my football kit. On my own. So, to the other 20 or so people that saw it that evening, they might've been a bit worried about the chap in small shorts who shuffled into a dark corner to watch a 3-hour graphic lesbian drama.
A very good film though.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

View attachment 82013

I mean this in a non perverted way but the sex scene in this is as realistic as you will ever see. None of the OTT perfect candlelit scenes you see in Hollywood movies. It was brilliantly done. Great film as well.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Claude Chabrol is up there with Hitchcock (Les Biches; and L'Enfer with the young Emannuelle Beart). And if you're of a whimsical mind, anything by Eric Rohmer. The Page Turner is very good too. anything with Isabelle Huppert

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I'd give Sweeney Paris a wide berth If I were you...though at least Carter could act unlike Plan B.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
L’Enfer, by Danis Tanovic, is one of my favourite films. I love all of Rohmer’s films (except his three films set way back in the past), especially The Green Ray. A couple of Alain Resnais’s films (Last Year in Marienbad and Hiroshima, Mon Amour) are worth seeing. Polish director Krzysztof Kieslowski wrote and made three great films in French (Three Colours Blue, Three Colours Red, and The Double Life Of Veronique). Austrian director Michael Haneke also made some stellar films in French (including The Piano Teacher, Hidden, Code Unknown and Amour). Jean-Luc Godard’s films are rather abstract, but I recommend Weekend. Claude Chabrol does Hitchcock-style suspense but with Gallic flair (of his films, I recommend The Flowers Of Evil).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here