Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Firing Squads and Gas Chambers

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why are we looking to get closer to America, with the ongoing issues with lethal injections, Mississippi is looking to death by firing squad, electrocution and gas chambers as new execution methods.

A bill has passed the state's house and will now go to the Senate for further discussion.

All this to ensure that inmates can be put to death without violating the constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment.

Personally i would have thought that death is cruel but 33 states still have the death penalty.

Welcome to Trump's American home of the gun and the wall.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Why are we looking to get closer to America, with the ongoing issues with lethal injections, Mississippi is looking to death by firing squad, electrocution and gas chambers as new execution methods.

A bill has passed the state's house and will now go to the Senate for further discussion.

All this to ensure that inmates can be put to death without violating the constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment.

Personally i would have thought that death is cruel but 33 states still have the death penalty.

I was under the impression that this was to do with European companies refusing to sell the drugs used in lethal injections to the US.

Bloody Europe!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Last thing anyone wants to do is defend Trump but this has nothing to do with him and even predates him by several presidencies.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
with the ongoing issues with lethal injections, Mississippi is looking to death by firing squad, electrocution and gas chambers as new execution methods

As Piers Morgan has been allegedly outspoken on their NRA, perhaps someone should send him back to the good old US of A, to do a thorough internal investigation of the new methods mentioned.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Last thing anyone wants to do is defend Trump but this has nothing to do with him and even predates him by several presidencies.

Quite. Trump would be proud of making a link so transparently false. This type of thing simply re-enforces his support. I have come to the conclusion that those most vociferously anti Trump are just the flip side of the same coin in their carelessness with the truth. The world will not defeat Trump politics by using his tactics.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Quite. Trump would be proud of making a link so transparently false. This type of thing simply re-enforces his support. I have come to the conclusion that those most vociferously anti Trump are just the flip side of the same coin in their carelessness with the truth. The world will not defeat Trump politics by using his tactics.

Although there is a view that rather staying with usual articulate speeches that messages are dumbed down into short repetitive comments as Trump does.

Something like

Yemen bad unacceptable

Holiday after 2 weeks Trump lazy

And on and on.

While not fully connecting with anti Trump groups it should get through to Trump heartland supporters and Trump himself.

I think the worse thing currently is to remain silent and a by stander.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Although there is a view that rather staying with usual articulate speeches that messages are dumbed down into short repetitive comments as Trump does.

Something like

Yemen bad unacceptable

And on and on.

While not fully connecting with anti Trump groups it should get through to Trump heartland supporters and Trump himself.

I see where you are coming from but I don't think progressive voices should stoop to Trump's level. I have a feeling he and his politics will always win that game.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Something like

Yemen bad unacceptable

And on and on.

So you prefer the crying wolf strategy so when something realy important happens no one listens. :shrug:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Surely if the death penalty is a deterrent (as the bring-back-hanging brigade always claim), no-one would need to be executed?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
To be fair, I didn't read the original post as blaming this on Trump. Anybody with any sense would realise that the execution thing predated him - it hasn't occurred in the last 2 or three weeks. But Trump certainly won't make it any better.

But there is a valid point about what sort of country does one want to be identified with. Even though Obama might have presided over the same situation, at least he wanted to change it.

My own concern is that we might, if we over-alienate ourselves from Europe, be pushed in to becoming de-facto the 51st state.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

God bless Little England, its not that bad

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

And in reply I would ask you:

Why have we been looking to get closer to Saudi Arabia and China for years? Is it because of their gleaming spotless record on human rights?

Personally I oppose the death penalty, but at least in the US you get a fair trial and an appeals process before they execute you. Same can't be said for our other "best buddies" can it?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
But there is a valid point about what sort of country does one want to be identified with.

I find it very strange that the abominable acts that America did in the dropping of the two bombs seems to have been deemed as acceptable by history. The second bomb was a different type so they could test it against the first and see it's effect on live subjects!

I'm sure the correct deterrent for continued hostilities would have been a live test on a remote island as a warning then saying to Japan the next one is on you unless you surrender.

However then they wouldn't have known what the true effect on humans would be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here