Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar spending $500m a week on World Cup infrastructure projects

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Qatar is spending almost $500m (£400m) a week on major infrastructure projects as it prepares for the 2022 Fifa World Cup, its finance minister has said.

Ali al-Emadi expected spending to continue at that level for three to four years as new stadiums, motorways, rail links and hospitals are built.

More than $200bn (£160bn) will be spent in total by the gas-rich emirate.

But Mr Emadi denied that the plans would make the 2022 tournament the most expensive World Cup yet.

The 2014 World Cup in Brazil is reported to have cost $11bn (£8.8bn) to host, while Russia increased government spending on the 2018 World Cup by $321m to $10.7bn.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bit odd to boast the spending then deny the extravagance. good luck to them, if thats what they want to spend their money on, would have though spending a chunk on other causes might have been more worthwhile, but heyho. will still be a shite tournament in the heat and no drinking.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Corrupt corrupt corrupt.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not sure Brazilians or even Russians should be quite so happy with the amount of money that was/is being thrown at those tournaments. At least Qatar can actually afford it, although nothing is going to stop it being the shittest world cup imaginable. Not even money.

Oct 25, 2003
I really think that FIFA need to stop giving the world cup to countries that pretty much have to start from scratch when it comes to building stadiums. Stadiums (stadia?) are really expensive and are only vaguely worth it if there's enough interest in the domestic game to be able to fill them post-world cup (Germany is a good example of this). South Africa and Brazil both spent shit loads on arenas, many of which are now pretty much redundant- both countries that could ill afford expensive unnecessary expenditure on that scale.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
England went for 2018. Qatar beat USA, Australia and Japan

I remember, I'm still bitter about Russia getting it. But the nature of the corruption scandal taking place at FIFA only makes me consider how fair the bidding process actually was. It's too late now but personally would have liked the plug pulled before billions was sunk into it already, and likewise the host nation should've been a country that had a (reasonably) successful record of sustaining major international competitions.

Though I will accept with the current issues of the FA and demand for reform, as well as the sorry state of English football on the international stage, maybe it was for the better.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Qatar is spending almost $500m (£400m) a week on major infrastructure projects as it prepares for the 2022 Fifa World Cup, its finance minister has said.

Ali al-Emadi expected spending to continue at that level for three to four years as new stadiums, motorways, rail links and hospitals are built.

But Mr Emadi denied that the plans would make the 2022 tournament the most expensive World Cup yet.

The 2014 World Cup in Brazil is reported to have cost $11bn (£8.8bn) to host, while Russia increased government spending on the 2018 World Cup by $321m to $10.7bn.

He should get Sean Spicer to do a press release to support that statement!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wonder how much has gone into the pockets of Beckenbauer et al, to keep the worker deaths hushed up. *****. Actual ***** with blood on their hands.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What with FIFA corruption, the multitude of deaths of the labour force, increasing the number of teams in the finals to 48, I hope FIFA end up with just the tournament they so richly deserve

I stand to be corrected but during the world cups of the 60s and the 70s wasn't it a case of build a new stadium for the final (if necc.) give a lick of paint to the existing ones, flush all the bogs the night before and put on a few extra buses on match day.

With the exception of a new stadium I could bring the World Cup in for about £100k

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
England went for 2018. Qatar beat USA, Australia and Japan

A WC in Oz would have been great

Must admit close to zero interest the WC these days, the toxic combination of FIFA and England's cycle of failure. Wake me up in 2026

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
2018 should have been England not Russia
2022 should have been Australia not Qatar

Simple.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Given how much the Qatari FA is paying football finance DULLARDS to help them understand how to calculate the numbers on the tournament I am not surprised at those figures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here