Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shanghai Shenhua / Poyet / Tevez out of Asian Champions League

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Was strange watching a bit of the AFC Champions League qualifier today - with Poyet and Oatway on the touchline - and Tevez (on his debut) and Obafemi Martins on the pitch. Shanghai are already out after this one-leg play-off qualifier at home to the tricky Aussies of Brisbane Roar. Lots of urgent whistling and arm waving from Poyet. Not sure I get the Chinese model of paying absolute fortunes to aging players - but at least now they can concentrate on the league:smile:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure I get the Chinese model of paying absolute fortunes to aging players
I think the problem is that they're limited to 3 foreign players, so to build a good team they blow their money on the best 3 they can get, which will often be older ones who've given up playing decent football.

I think they'd be better off allowing 6 or 7 foreign outfield players, and then trying to get the 3 or 4 Chinese players up to the standard.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I'm sure he is getting paid loads, but it's a shame he didn't knuckle down, behave, stay and finish the job at Brighton. It would have been so much better for him if he had.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The missing an open goal at the end made me chuckle, reminded me of times when we couldn't buy a win.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The booing at the end doesn't auger well for the holy trinity!!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I think the problem is that they're limited to 3 foreign players, so to build a good team they blow their money on the best 3 they can get, which will often be older ones who've given up playing decent football.

I think they'd be better off allowing 6 or 7 foreign outfield players, and then trying to get the 3 or 4 Chinese players up to the standard.
And the three that Shanghai have got are all in advanced positions - "glory" names. Would have been better for the team to have a decent defender to teach the players around him
Bloody noisy there though

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
And the three that Shanghai have got are all in advanced positions - "glory" names. Would have been better for the team to have a decent defender to teach the players around him
Bloody noisy there though

This. If I was a manager in the Chinese league I would go all out to try and sign the likes of Pique and John Terry in defence and then maybe a Pirlo in midfield to build the rest of the team around.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm sure he is getting paid loads, but it's a shame he didn't knuckle down, behave, stay and finish the job at Brighton. It would have been so much better for him if he had.

Agreed, although l still think, if anyone was prepared to give him the chance, that he could still do a decent job in the Football League. It was never his managerial skills that were open to question, more his outspoken style, and massive ego.

I for one, hope that we will see him managing again in this country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here