Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Simpson of Galton and Simpson fame has passed away

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Remember chatting to him in the Horsham boardroom when he was chairman of Hampton & Richmond Borough. Easy to talk to and very self effacing.

RIP.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Listen to Hancock's Half Hour most mornings on the way to work - made a great contribution to the comedy world.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Been catching a lot of Steptoe & Son on R4 Extra lately. Amazing how the same storyline basically recurs in every single episode and yet you still warm to the characters and care about them. A lot of that is down to the acting but the writing itself is so well done.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What minute are we having the minutes applause on Saturday for Alan.

On a serious note, the likes of Hancock and Steptoe are still funny today, and many of the jokes have been borrowed and used in more recent comedies which illustrates how good the pair were at writing.

RIP

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Episode on Radio 4 Extra this evening at 7.30 pm..
The one about triskaidekaphobia.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
"A pint. That's nearly an armful!"

"You won't have an empty arm, or any empty anything."

Genius writing - The Blood Donor for those few who don't recognise it. I was always very grateful for those involved in Hancock's Half Hour as for a fallback I could always buy my dad an LP of a couple of programmes (or Round The Horne or The Goons). A gentler comedy than we have today.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Steptoe and Son. Pathos at its finest.

PG

Very much this.

Very, very funny but with an element of tragedy in that you always knew Harold would never escape.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
"A pint. That's nearly an armful!"

"You won't have an empty arm, or any empty anything."

Genius writing - The Blood Donor for those few who don't recognise it. I was always very grateful for those involved in Hancock's Half Hour as for a fallback I could always buy my dad an LP of a couple of programmes (or Round The Horne or The Goons). A gentler comedy than we have today.

Talking to Paul Merton on radio 4 at teatime - he knew them both well - he commented on the genius of that very line. Not "A Pint, that's an armful", but "A pint, that's nearly an armful", giving the poaaibility of lots of discussion about how much an armful would be.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I remember going to Hampton and Richmond to see Eastbourne Borough play. When he saw us in the club bar he made a point of coming over for a chat, thanked us for going and wished us good luck for the day. An absolute gent and a very fine writer.
RIP and thank you for the many laughs you have given

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here