Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WHC X: Quarter final 3 - Grasshopper Mouse vs Shrew

Who's harder?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Here we go then, the battle of the little fellas. Which one will progress to the semi finals and be just one win away from the Animal Dome?

48 hours, two beasts, one vote, one winner. Think Carefully.

The combatants:

Grasshopper Mouse

micehunter.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grasshopper_mouse

Road to the quarter finals:

2nd round: Beat Siberian Tiger 66 - 60
Group C: 1st (28 votes)

It's difficult to imagine a time of the WHC without the Grasshopper Mouse but this small fans favourite has only been competing in the last few tournaments. What is it that endears him to so many? In short it's a small, highly aggressive, crazy, howling, cannibalising mentalist who attacks, kills and eats poisonous prey. Lets break that done a little. It howls like a wolf. It's a tiny little mouse that after victory, or just for the fun of it, likes to stand on its hind legs and howl like a wolf. It has a huge territory of 28 acres that it defends ferociously fighting to the death any intruder. And then, if its another Grasshopper mouse, it eats it. These aren't social beasts. Put a few of them in a cage and soon enough only one will be left, the others having been devoured by the victor. They hunt, kill and eat poisonous and deadly centipedes, scorpions and snakes.

VS

Shrew

shrew-2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrew

Road to the Quarter finals:

2nd round: Beat Cassowary 39 - 26
Group D: tie 3rd (15 votes)

At first glance Shrew might not seem much of a competitor, he is, after all, very small and near blind. Don't be fooled though, because behind those blind eyes and within that tiny frame lurks the heart and machinery of a stone cold killer. He has a toxic bite but doesn't let that do the dirty work for him. Instead, impatient for the kill and eager for some food (he needs to eat anywhere from 50-200% of his body weight every day), he goes for the kill by crushing its victim's skull. And just who might his victims be? Snakes. Scorpions. Anything that comes across its fiercely territorial and permanently hungry path. And it does this whilst being near blind. Impressive.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
For the sheer showmanship of it all, the Grasshopper Mouse has it!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Shrew is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Up against a very similar but far more FLAIR opponent.

I'd be more than happy for the GM to win the whole thing. The fact such a small fella is determined to hold a territory of 28 ACRES means he has to be CONSTANTLY looking for a fight 24-7.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
On paper the grasshopper mouse should have this one. Will wait to see what further evidence arises in favor of the Shrew!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Size means nothing when you have the right weapons- gotta be the shrew every time!! He eats snakes when they're still alive for gods sake!!

Aug 23, 2011
The Shrew is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Up against a very similar but far more FLAIR opponent.

I'd be more than happy for the GM to win the whole thing. The fact such a small fella is determined to hold a territory of 28 ACRES means he has to be CONSTANTLY looking for a fight 24-7.

To be fair the shrew is always looking for a fight too as it needs to eat pretty much all the time

Aug 23, 2011
The shrew also goes down in folklore:

"Chambers (1979) reviewed some aspects of shrew biology and folklore: At one time in Europe it was thought that if a shrew ran across a farm animal that was lying down, the animal would suffer intense pain. To counteract this, a shrew would be walled up in an ash tree (a ‘shrew ash’), and then a twig taken from the tree would be brushed onto the suffering animal to relieve the pain. The ancient Egyptians believed the shrew to be the spirit of darkness. The shrew has also been mentioned as a Zuni beast god, providing protection for stored grains from raids by rats and mice (Hoffmeister 1967)."

They've been terrifying man for 1000's of years

Aug 23, 2011
After some more research the grasshopper mouse doesn't feel pain from the sting of a scorpion and the toxin isn't toxic to them so perhaps less impressive on that front?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This matchup just goes to show how far the competition has declined in recent years..this is the equivalent of Sylvester McCoys Dr.Who.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
This matchup just goes to show how far the competition has declined in recent years..this is the equivalent of Sylvester McCoys Dr.Who.
I think it shows the exact opposite - no longer necessary to be an obvious apex predator to win the whole thing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Couldn't agree less. It shows that people have really cottoned on to what makes this competition great - pound-for-pound hardness and personality.

Nothing more BORING than massive fat apex monster vs mass fat apex monster. Also nothing hard about it either.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Couldn't agree less. It shows that people have really cottoned on to what makes this competition great - pound-for-pound hardness and personality.

Nothing more BORING than massive fat apex monster vs mass fat apex monster. Also nothing hard about it either.

Indeed, this match is EXACTLY what WHC is all about.

I'm very much Team GH, but I'd LOVE to see this one go right down to the wire. I'm almost disappointed GH has built up a big lead.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh dear, lot of Mantis Shrimp boys on here today...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Grasshopper mouse-done,now back to deciding Jag or Polar Bear..

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm saving some GM facts until the semis.

It is certainly ****ing hard.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Shrew vs scorpion

Grasshopper mouse vs scorpion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here