Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Danny Baker saved Brighton & Hove Albion  - The inside story of Fans United

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
https://medium.com/@warrenchrismas/...-brighton-hove-albion-11c1be4aaacb#.t637t5cfp

It's still work in progress really but as it's the anniversary and all that... enjoy!

Hard to believe it's 20 years since we swapped emails and I made the trip over for Fans United. How the club has changed and how close we came to extinction. We should never forget that 20 years later, too many clubs are run by eccentric, absent, wealthy owners who feed their egos with ownership and not respectful stewardship of these community jewels. We are indeed lucky to have a fan and a brilliant, generous man at the helm of our club. I'd say almost and increasingly uniquely in fact. I suppose the dark years have been replaced by the enlightenment and thank you for a timely reminder for those newly in love with the rollercoaster ride that is our beloved Albion. UTA4Ever.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Superb. Thanks for that.

I wasn't online at the time, and I really can't remember how I was aware of fans united at the time, but that I was. I guess it was through old school media. Those ads are brilliant, don't remember seeing them.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
A really wonderful read. I'd just got online regularly through work in oct 1996. I had just started working in Liverpool. One of the first things I did on getting freedom to roam the internet was to look up everything to do with the Albion. I found out what was going on exclusively online. If it wasn't for that I would never have known and wouldn't have been there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey that feels like it was a good 20 years ago...

...nah not really - 20 fookin years in the blink of an eye. :down:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I remember it all so well. Now 606 is just for Arsenal fans slagging off Wenger and other Premier league fans bitching about referees

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I liked that piece i have one small request-please.......i feel the title to the thread needs changing to include the word "Helped" .

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Brilliant both then and now. Fans United was an amazing day.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I remember it all so well. Now 606 is just for Arsenal fans slagging off Wenger and other Premier league fans bitching about referees

Spot on. Danny Baker on 606 was always funny and entertaining, not a week went by in those bad days when he didn't mention us. He also always played a bit of Losing My Religion on his show, that for me was the soundtrack to our final years at The Goldstone.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Excellent piece - must read for any Albion fan, particularly those who weren't around at the time.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Great article Wozza - brings it all back. I remember standing there with a load of my mates who didn't normally come to the Albion but who wanted to be part of it - an incredible day in our history

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Excellent piece - must read for any Albion fan, particularly those who weren't around at the time.

And players. Rosenior mentioned on The Roar that the club show prospective signings a video, I hope Fans Utd features. Twenty years ago, blimey. I was still (just) in my thirties!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here