Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans United - 20 Years On...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was a momentous day for me, even before a ball had been kicked - I met my niece (born the day before) for the first time, this meant my plans for getting there really early were well and truly scuppered.

But that did mean that, by the time I reached the brow of the hill on OSR, there was already a fair crowd of supporters outside the ground. I knew that there'd be a few as I'd already bumped into a whole coachload of Charlton supporters outside a pub, but I wasn't quite prepared for the numbers. I started counting them but gave up in the 40s, it was too much for my head to cope with.

I was in the North Stand, near the Eintracht Frankfurt banner and not too far away from the Chelsea fan leading the singing, halfway up a pillar. The game itself was a bit of a blur, I mainly remember the chanting - particularly the constant "football united will never be defeated" and, for the first time that season, I started to believe that the club had a future.

Walking back to the station, I kept overhearing fans talking about what a brilliant day it had been and about how it was like football in the old days. Stopping for a drink at the Evening Star, I got chatting to another crowd of ubiquitous Charlton fans about their struggles and how it was important that Albion supporters kept fighting.

I've been watching the Albion for 50 years: I've seen us get promoted, I've seen us in the FA Cup final and the play-offs but, if I had to be pressed on my most memorable day as a Brighton supporter, Fans United would be right up there. It was the day when hope came back.

Thank you Richard Vaughan - and all the others who made it happen - we've come a long, long way together.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Anyone know if Richard Vaughan has ever visited the Amex. A few years ago I remember reading that he hadn't visited yet. He must be 35 now

He's making his first visit this Saturday.

He's this week's guest on the Roar; we're taking him and his Dad out for a few beers afterwards, then he's the guest of the club on Saturday.

So he'll be in town on Friday (and possibly Saturday) if anyone wants to meet him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a day.

But meanwhile, what were your memories of Fans United Day, 20 years ago today?

Spent lunchtime in the Hove Park Tavern with a group of Hartlepools supporters. I have posted on tthis before. I was touched by how tiny their club and its aspirations were, their glory night being a win against Sunderland (reserves) in a league cup tie or somesuch. And yet they were there, lending us some support.

We sat behind the south goal and, as I have also posted before, at the end of the game a large bloke was stone cold dead in his seat, with the St Johns folk handwringing while waiting for an ambulance.

It was a strange day and as the OP says, without those goals we would have gone down. I would also add that the 'glorious' pitch invasion against Your cost us a poinst deduction without which our survival would have been ensured. Given that the points deduction was inevitable, what was the point (unless the organisers has already settled for relegation)?

Those days give those of us old enough to remember a sense of humility. We are not entitled to premier league football. Our club really has risen like a phoenix. UTA.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think some fans chased Bellotti out of the directors box which the reporters could not believe fans climbing over the phones on the press box to get at him. Feelings running very high.
Many fans did push the boundaries however looking back it was worth doing.
Also the protest outside the FA headquarters followed by a trip to old Street �� Before regrouping outside Wembley to protest before England vs Italy game. Never forget how close Brighton was close to going out of business. Thank DK and TB and all the fans who helped named and unnamed.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A momentous day. I was not even a Brighton fan at the time, although I was in the process of moving to Brighton that year. I was however interested in the fans plight at the Albion having spent an increasing amount of time down here. I actually went as West Ham fan (well used to protesting against and uitimately defeating the ill-fated bond scheme some years earlier), and I brought one Rotherham and a Wealdstone fan down with me. We were all wearing our colours. First stop was the Sussex Yeoman where we were greeted with open arms by the Abion fans in there. A couple of pints later we headed off to the ground.

Of course I remember the fog and the vast queues outside the North Stand so we headed to the West terrace. I was stunned by how many different shirts there were, the Frankfurt flag was very memorable, as were the large number of charlton fans in attendance. I was of course on the lookout for Millwall and Spurs fans, saw a few of the former and can't remember any of the latter. To see all these 'rival' fans together united in this cause was simply awe-inspiring for me and reminded me what football was all about.

We took our spot on the terrace with a number of Wolves and Villa fans who had made the trip and then the game itself. An incredible atmosphere in the ground, the North Stand in fine voice, and even I have to give respect to the exuberant chelsea lad leading many of the songs. I felt for Hartlepool, they had no chance. it seemed that every time the Albion crossed it was a goal. A joyous occasion. Without this day I do not believe the Albion would have survived. It not only revived the team itself, but renewed the spirit and belief of the fans who went on to finish the fight.

A truly unique day in football history. I'm glad I was there. That kick started my Albion bug, three years later I'd been living here a while, packed in the rip-off premier league and rediscovered my football soul by comitting to the Abion. I have a lot to thank the Fans Utd day for. Absolute magic.

D

Deleted member 2719

He will be at the Burton game this weekend as a guest of the club.

That's a great gesture from the club and he isn't even BHA, i wonder if all the fans involved in those turbulent times would be treated in the same way today.

Emotional times and only those who were about following the Albion at the time will ever realise this, you can not understand our club fully IMO us you were there if only we could have bottled it and shared it with the more recent fans and the club employees.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was a strange day and as the OP says, without those goals we would have gone down. I would also add that the 'glorious' pitch invasion against York cost us a points deduction without which our survival would have been ensured. Given that the points deduction was inevitable, what was the point (unless the organisers has already settled for relegation)?

All part of the same process. Without the earlier protests, York pitch invasion included, and the (one-sided) media attention that received, the awareness of our plight wouldn't have been at the levels that allowed Fans United to take off.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a great gesture from the club and he isn't even BHA, i wonder if all the fans involved in those turbulent times would be treated in the same way today.

Emotional times and only those who were about following the Albion at the time will ever realise this, you can not understand our club fully IMO us you were there if only we could have bottled it and shared it with the more recent fans and the club employees.

The insinuation there, is very unfair, IMO. There are (still) club employees who were bang in the middle of all that went on, as rank and file fans, at the time. Plenty in the current club hierarchy who absolutely 'get it', from Bloom down.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm a bit gutted that I had something on that day and missed the game. Really feel that I missed out on something special.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Was 16 at the time. Remember being in the North stand. A great day and result in challenging conditions. As others have said, it's days like that that put things into perspective. Unfortunately didn't make it to the Doncaster game. The last goal I saw at the Goldstone was a close range chested effort from Ian Baird against Barnet.

D

Deleted member 2719

The insinuation there, is very unfair, IMO. There are (still) club employees who were bang in the middle of all that went on, as rank and file fans, at the time. Plenty in the current club hierarchy who absolutely 'get it', from Bloom down.

Bloom get's it i know that's why he is our god.

Dick get's it, Chapman gets it, but the Amex additions do they get it???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bloom get's it i know that's why he is our god.

Dick get's it, Chapman gets it, but the Amex additions do they get it???

Your point was aimed at 'club employees', rather than the board of directors, though.

The employees include plenty of long standing die-hard Albion fans - take Paul Camillin for example - quite important, in his media role. As an activist / fanzine producer during the troubles, does he 'get it'? Unfair.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Some absolute heroes involved in saving the club.
Massive thanks to all who were involved.

D

Deleted member 2719

Your point was aimed at 'club employees', rather than the board of directors, though.

The employees include plenty of long standing die-hard Albion fans - take Paul Camillin for example - quite important, in his media role. As an activist / fanzine producer during the troubles, does he 'get it'? Unfair.

Apologies of course Paul Camillin get's it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All part of the same process. Without the earlier protests, York pitch invasion included, and the (one-sided) media attention that received, the awareness of our plight wouldn't have been at the levels that allowed Fans United to take off.

Thanks for correcting my spelling mistake :cheers:

I was at the York game, applauded the pitch invasion (which, like most, I knew was going to happen). My point is trivial in the great sceme of things, and I am inclined to agree with you that the war was so intense that, if you call the points deduction a battle lost, the pitch invasion was nevertheless part of a war that was won. Emotionally, that's what I feel. With 20 year's hindsight, I'm not sure if my brain agrees, but whatever.

I just read Warren's piece and am now too teary-eyed to tackle the mountain of essays I have to mark today . . . best I get a grip, eh? :lolol::wozza:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He's making his first visit this Saturday.

He's this week's guest on the Roar; we're taking him and his Dad out for a few beers afterwards, then he's the guest of the club on Saturday.

So he'll be in town on Friday (and possibly Saturday) if anyone wants to meet him.
Where you going?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
**CONFESSION TIME***

I was 11 years old at Fans United. But even at that age, I knew perfectly well what was going on. I knew that some old, greedy men were trying to take away my football club from me and my Dad just so they could get richer. My best friend Gareth and I wanted to make a difference. Something. Anything.

So when Fans United was announced. We decided that the absolute best thing to do would be to don our Real Madrid shirts (which we'd acquired the previous summer whilst on holiday in Majorca) and make a BANNER. What greater difference could we make than to declare that the biggest club in the world wanted Archer out? It doesn't matter that we aren't ACTUALLY from Madrid. I'm sure they'd say they'd want Archer out anyway right? Right. This would be brilliant.

fans united.jpg
Image taken from this tweet

And brilliant it was. The North Stand applauded us. We felt like kings. Owing to the fact that I'm a bit brown and Gareth had awful hair, people genuinely thought we were Spanish. We could have gotten away with it if it weren't for photographic evidence (thanks Al) and an eager journalist.

"Wheeeere arre yooou frroooom?" he asked us outside the ground just after the match, "POWTSLAAYD!"... I don't think he asked us anything else.

Now, I've had to live with this for 20 years. As I got older, I questioned just why the hell neither of our Dads (just behind us) though t this might be a bad idea. But, I think they were just so happy to let us feel like we were doing something to help, that they went with it. All a bit of harmless fun eh. It wouldn't hurt anyone.

Except as it turns out. It did hurt someone; The Hartlepool defence. Craig Maskall specifically cited the Real Madrid banner as INSPIRING him towards his hat-trick that day.

So now you know. I am a FRAUD. But I can proudly say that despite the 20 year's worth of CRINGING every time I hear the words "fans united". I can hold my head up high and say that I did my bit for Brighton in our time of need.... or something :facepalm:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here