Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1975/76

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Howdy all,

Just to let you know that the Burton Albion edition of Seagull will be focusing on the 1975/76 season when Peter Taylor - as in Brian Clough's right hand man as opposed to the Withdean one - was still boss of the Albion.

Taylor cut his managerial teeth at Burton so this particular season, when Albion narrowly missed out on promotion from the old Third Division, somehow seemed appropriate. Funny how many people forget that Taylor stayed when Clough cut and ran for Leeds United in 1974. Even books, films and documentaries are remarkably economical with the truth (as in the celluloid version of The Damned United, which not only glosses over the fact that Clough managed us for the best part of a season but also that Taylor stayed for two years after Ol' Big Head had quit).

Steve Piper will also be sharing his recollections in our question and answer section. Feel free to share your own memories of the 1975/76 campaign on here (Horton's arrival, Ward's remarkable debut, how we threw promotion away right at the end, etc).

Just to recap, to mark the impending 20th anniversary of the Goldstone's demise we are remembering stand-out seasons from our time at the old place in each edition of the programme throughout this season.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the retro pieces in Seagull.

All the best,
Spencer Vignes (Albion fan, sports writer & author)
[MENTION=23620]Spencer[/MENTION]Vignes

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
A few years before my time:-

Albion1975-76.jpg

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I suppose the most memorable game for me was the Hereford 4-2,and Fred Binney with the bandage round his head

thought we were going up that season,but losing at Millwall over Easter more or less ended it

Spider Mellor getting the winner from an acute angle at Ninian Park

we played in green,pretty sure it was on match of the day

we scored alot of goals at home and rarely lost,great times

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Was my first season as a fan.
Missed one home game and went to some of the away games, including Hereford where Wardy scored after 50 secs. I also went to Millwall away which was less enjoyable 3-0 defeat. I also remember Sammy Morgan scoring twice as we beat Palace in a midweek game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I'll never forget that game against Palace. It was my first experience of a Goldstone full house.

D

Deleted member 2719

Not many posts on this thread yet, show's how many JCL'S we have.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I'll never forget that game against Palace. It was my first experience of a Goldstone full house.
I think this was the game when Palarse winger Peter Taylor came with a big reputation and our Harry Wilson marked him out the game. Everywhere Pete went Harry went too. Probably followed him into the Palarse dressing room at full-time. It was also the time when the 'Seagulls' chant was in full swing. It wasn't born but came of age that night.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Was my first season as a fan.
Missed one home game and went to some of the away games, including Hereford where Wardy scored after 50 secs. I also went to Millwall away which was less enjoyable 3-0 defeat. I also remember Sammy Morgan scoring twice as we beat Palace in a midweek game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was at Hereford and I remember thinking who the hell is Peter Ward. He better be good taking Fred's place.

el punal

Quite a memorable season pour moi. I took my girlfriend, now the good lady wife, to her first Albion game - at Selhurst Park when we played Palace and won 1-0. Typical though, got stuck in traffic on the A23 and arrived just after Neil Martin had done the deed!

I seem to remember we had a really impressive home record and one game stood out that reflected that. Playing Shrewsbury, we went 0-2 down then we battered them and pulled it back to 2-2 just before the final whistle.

Obviously, the highlight of the season was beating Palace 2-0. That was probably the best Goldstone match for the sheer emotion and excitement that I've been to.

Witnessing Peter Ward's debut and goal after 50 seconds, at Hereford, was another first.

And finally, the damp squib of the end of the season, where we just seemed to run out of steam. But the good thing was that it laid the foundations for (to date) the best Albion team in history. Hopefully that might change in a couple of months time! :wink:

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Gerry Fell surely?
I also don't remember the reserve keeper.
Looks like Tommy Barden.
Pretty short as Pedro was no giant.
This was the foundation of the Mullery era which Taylor should get a lot of credit for.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My first season. Nothing else to add as can't really remember it as too young, too long ago!!!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Quite a memorable season pour moi. I took my girlfriend, now the good lady wife, to her first Albion game - at Selhurst Park when we played Palace and won 1-0. Typical though, got stuck in traffic on the A23 and arrived just after Neil Martin had done the deed!

I seem to remember we had a really impressive home record and one game stood out that reflected that. Playing Shrewsbury, we went 0-2 down then we battered them and pulled it back to 2-2 just before the final whistle.

think it was Barry Butlin who scored at palace?

remember the Shrewsbury game,Fred Binney last minute pen into the South Stand goal,great comeback

el punal

think it was Barry Butlin who scored at palace?

remember the Shrewsbury game,Fred Binney last minute pen into the South Stand goal,great comeback

Barry Butlin - of course! That's what happens when you arrive late for a game. Mind you, I was going to say Barry Butlin in my post then thought, was it Neil Martin? Foggy memory incident. :shootself

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I was at Hereford and I remember thinking who the hell is Peter Ward. He better be good taking Fred's place.

Fred was my hero and I also remember I took it bad when this peter ward guys rock up Heriford they always walked a Bull around the pitch before kick off wonder if they still do that oops forgot they are no longer a team

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
One season too early for me... :JCL:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
A nod to those who have commented before. I worked in East Croydon so did not miss our early winner and work was great the next day. The home Palace game had over 30,000 for a night game and their smoke bombs. Very hostile atmosphere.

Home games were great, some already mentioned and there was also Grimsby, where we came from 1-2 down to win 4-2. Fred Binney was le leathal inside the box but we were a different side away and he couldn't play from the half way line.

We crashed at Easter, losing to a resurgent Millwall at the very nasty Den. The next day we took over Aldershot and only drew. There was a pitch invasion at the end, I think the crossbars were broken. These games were on Good Friday & Easter Saturday and on the Easter Monday we had a poor 1-1 with Gillingham. Joe Kinnear had not endeared himself with his lack of effort. he broke his leg and fans jeered as he was carried off.

Wardy played the last 8 games and scored 6. Taylor left in the summer, Mullery took over and didn't need to make a signing for ages. the team was all there, just needed a motivational manager.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here