Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Insuring a car for a teenager

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Astonished how one company can quote me £750 for him as a named driver (and my wife/me) for a bog standard hatchback car , yet my existing insurer one quoted, gulp, £1750.

And a few others quote even more.

A £1000 difference . You can buy quite a few pies with that. Even at the Albion.

Insuring cars for Teens. Bloody minefield. ! Does anyone have any tips ? Telematics/black boxes, recommended insurers, how to handle multi-car policies, suspending insurance if away at university etc etc.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Just gone through the same myself where I have 17 year old daughter insured on the wife's car. Existing insurer (Direct line) wanted more than a grand for the one small hatchback car. Cheapest way to do it was to use Admiral multicar for both cars in the household, other is a large-ish Toyota. Now paying £900 for having me, Mrs S and 22 yr old daughter driving the big car and all 4 of us driving the small car.

I do work for an insurance company and couldn't get insured at all through them. Different companies have different risk models. Quite a few are shying away from the riskier stuff at the moment but as the competition for the easy money gets more then the cycle will come round again. I'm told it's every 7 years.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The Insurance quote will simply refelect that insurer's history of Kids that age, in your postcode area, driving that make/model of car. Most people tend to take the cheapest quote for themselves and/or spouse and then find out adding a teenager is a fortune.

You'll need to shop around fopr a quote for all three of you (and then change at renewal time). The only tips i have are try lots of insurers (compariaon sites are good for getting lots of quotes - Compare the Market, Go Compare, Money Supermarket etc etc), and say you will accept a black box. You need to find the cheapest for your particular set of postcode, age(s) and make/model. Adjusting the Excess up can also make a difference.

And just remembered, if they are on a provisional check out how much for full licence as some of the price hikes on them passing their test are outrageous

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
When I sorted my daughters first car out 4 years ago it was in her name with me as a named driver, I then put my Dad and my father in law on as additional named drivers and the premium kept going down

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Astonished how one company can quote me £750 for him as a named driver (and my wife/me) for a bog standard hatchback car , yet my existing insurer one quoted, gulp, £1750.

A £1000 difference . You can buy quite a few pies with that. Even at the Albion.

Insuring cars for Teens. Bloody minefield. ! Does anyone have any tips ? Telematics/black boxes, recommended insurers, how to handle multi-car policies, suspending insurance if away at university etc etc.

Been through (and still going through) all this. From what I could see policies are broadly similar across companies, obviously need to compare like with like in terms of excess etc.

Used Admiral in the end, not quite the cheapest but they had an accelerated NCB builder (the initial policy was for 10 months), telematics reduced premium significantly and does even more so on renewal if history is good (you get a monthly report). Paid about £850 year 1 (son plus me as named driver), dropped to about £650 year 2 I think (passed test which actually increases risk so this was v good value) and just had renewal for year 3 at £550 but will shop around before renewing. Already had another car with Admiral but when I tried to add a third the multicar policy was actually more expensive than doing them separately. As you've seen quotes will be all over the place - from memory about the same except some were definitely over £2k (car is an 8 year old fiesta 1.4).

Not sure about suspending whilst at Uni. We've added my elder daughter to my wifes car when she's been at home, not cheap. My son takes his car to uni with him so not an issue.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I do work for an insurance company and couldn't get insured at all through them. Different companies have different risk models. Quite a few are shying away from the riskier stuff at the moment but as the competition for the easy money gets more then the cycle will come round again. I'm told it's every 7 years.

More lilkely that they've seen you drive !

It was certainly a 7 year cycle when i was involved some years ago. That's why so many insurance companies are multi line these days to try and offset that cycle with other product cycles. (I just thought we should sack everyone at the end of the big profit bit and then re-employ them 5 years later :wink:)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Insurance quote will simply refelect that insurer's history of Kids that age, in your postcode area, driving that make/model of car. Most people tend to take the cheapest quote for themselves and/or spouse and then find out adding a teenager is a fortune.

You'll need to shop around fopr a quote for all three of you (and then change at renewal time). The only tips i have are try lots of insurers (compariaon sites are good for getting lots of quotes - Compare the Market, Go Compare, Money Supermarket etc etc), and say you will accept a black box. You need to find the cheapest for your particular set of postcode, age(s) and make/model. Adjusting the Excess up can also make a difference.

I'm intrigued by these and as to how well they work. I certainly don't need one at the moment, but like to think I would show up pretty well. Having said that, there are so many potholes opening up on the A26 and C7 at the moment, I wonder if you'd get marked down for hitting these (or swerving round them!)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A couple of years ago, when my son was 17 and a learner, I bought the least glamorous car I could find, a Suzuki Wagon R and insured it in my name with him on it so we could go out practicing every night. When he passed his test, a few days after his 18th, I signed it over to him and he insured it with me and wifey on it. cost about £850.
He's replaced it with a Suzuki alto now and his 3rd year cost him around £550.

I'd suggest steering away from the traditional chav-wagons (Corsa/Fiesta/106) and going for something seriously un-cool.

Edit: Black box actually made it more expensive for my boy. Go figure...

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
If the teenager is the owner and lead driver of the car in question, then it is worth looking at Endsleigh. Their quote will come up if you search on compare the market.com, and Endsleigh currently look very competitive. I know this might not suit the needs of the original poster, but thought I'd stick it up for the many people who do have kids with own car.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Used Swinton for My daughter. Her own insurance,wife as a named driver, and black box fitted. £750. Like you say very varying prices when shopping around.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A couple of years ago, when my son was 17 and a learner, I bought the least glamorous car I could find, a Suzuki Wagon R and insured it in my name with him on it so we could go out practicing every night. When he passed his test, a few days after his 18th, I signed it over to him and he insured it with me and wifey on it. cost about £850.
He's replaced it with a Suzuki alto now and his 3rd year cost him around £550.

I'd suggest steering away from the traditional chav-wagons (Corsa/Fiesta/106) and going for something seriously un-cool.

Edit: Black box actually made it more expensive for my boy. Go figure...
I'm not surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0quXl_od3g

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
thanks everyone for their insight and experience. Really helpful as ever. Nationwide have given us a quote of £760 so i think we're going with them. ( Mrs CJ is in charge of this particular project so she has the final say)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Buy them a bicycle

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
thanks everyone for their insight and experience. Really helpful as ever. Nationwide have given us a quote of £760 so i think we're going with them. ( Mrs CJ is in charge of this particular project so she has the final say)

She didn't get where she is today without having the final say

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
My first insurance (Black Box, Clio 57 Reg with Multi-car) was £1040 with DirectLine, cheapest I could find it.

7 months later, bought myself a new fiesta (New Job, New Car - i had passed my test a month after getting insurance) and even after removal of the box, it only cost £80 extra.

2nd year renewal was £897 with new car and now black box (18 years old). During this year, I had an at fault accident (Wet, Slow moving, colleagues in car and sat nav all being a distraction and I went into the back of a van at around 15MPH - LESSON LEARNT).

3rd year renewal came through the other week - I was fearing for the worst having got quotes from some places for £2000+ etc. Renewal was £930 even though i'm 19 years old and had an at fault accident (Meaning no no-claims bonus this year).

Direct Line are the only placed i'd go for insurance as it stands, seems loyalty does get paid back.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm intrigued by these and as to how well they work. I certainly don't need one at the moment, but like to think I would show up pretty well. Having said that, there are so many potholes opening up on the A26 and C7 at the moment, I wonder if you'd get marked down for hitting these (or swerving round them!)

You are too old for one of those surely?

The young lad who works in my local has one of these kept getting a bollocking from his insurance company for driving late at night. He ended up getting a letter from the landlord saying he was required to work in the evening which meant he would have to drive post midnight. Can only assume they think you've been out up to no good if you are driving late at night??

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
You are too old for one of those surely?

The young lad who works in my local has one of these kept getting a bollocking from his insurance company for driving late at night. He ended up getting a letter from the landlord saying he was required to work in the evening which meant he would have to drive post midnight. Can only assume they think you've been out up to no good if you are driving late at night??

I think they're mostly because of those being the times most people are fatigued and most likely to fall asleep at the wheel.

That's what mine was based on anyway.

In terms of age - most give them up to 25 y/o. After that, some require you to actually pay for the box if you wish you have it.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

My tip? Tell 'em to walk or get the bus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here