Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Roberts

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I got in the ground earlier than normal yesterday and therefore watched the full goalkeeper warm up close up for the first time in a while.

The kicking was incredible, and the work out Stockdale goes though pre match is something to behold but the main thing for me was the clear bond he has with Ben Roberts. Seems like a great relationship and it is clear there is a massive respect for each other.

Also how hard as nails does Ben Roberts look now. When he is literally smashing the ball at Stockers from five yards the look of evil in his eyes is incredible, scary and impressive all in one! I suspect Stockdale's clear improvement has come through a lot of hard work with Ben.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Thanks for that insight which is something not obvious to most of us !
For sure, there seems to be a great partnership there, when one learns about the penalties situation, so let's hope that BR doesn't get poached by AV ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I got in the ground earlier than normal yesterday and therefore watched the full goalkeeper warm up close up for the first time in a while.

The kicking was incredible, and the work out Stockdale goes though pre match is something to behold but the main thing for me was the clear bond he has with Ben Roberts. Seems like a great relationship and it is clear there is a massive respect for each other.

Also how hard as nails does Ben Roberts look now. When he is literally smashing the ball at Stockers from five yards the look of evil in his eyes is incredible, scary and impressive all in one! I suspect Stockdale's clear improvement has come through a lot of hard work with Ben.

Usually watch it at the Amex too, but like you watched it from the front of the terrace yesterday, different perspective entirely. Hadn't realised just how hard Roberts pings the ball at him, and how good Stockdale's reactions are. Impressive stuff up close.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I watched the routine for half an hour or so before last season's away QPR fixture. You've got this spot on with the work out and, especially, those close-by thunderbolts.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It doesn'st only appear to be Stockdale and Roberts who have forged a close bond either. Watching the pre match workouts, all of the Albion keepers, Stockdale, Maenpaa, and Ankergren appear to have a really close working relationship with the coach.

All part of the special togetherness at the club I guess.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also how hard as nails does Ben Roberts look now. When he is literally smashing the ball at Stockers from five yards the look of evil in his eyes is incredible, scary and impressive all in one.
That's nothing to do with football.

That's just training for Duffy's celebratory 'hand shake'.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I had not noticed before but when Stockdale was going though his kicking routine pre game at Preston he can use both feet with amazing accuracy. Pinged it right onto Maenpaa's feet on the half way line with one foot, got the ball back and then pigged it to Roberts on the half way line with the other foot.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I had not noticed before but when Stockdale was going though his kicking routine pre game at Preston he can use both feet with amazing accuracy. Pinged it right onto Maenpaa's feet on the half way line with one foot, got the ball back and then pigged it to Roberts on the half way line with the other foot.

I noticed the same at Brentford. Incredible accuracy for a goalkeeper. Can't under estimate how important his kicking is. Must be the best in the division.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Watched it closely at Birmingham and thought Stockers was injured............. so glad we didn't have to use Casper that day.

The warm up did look insane though and very well done. Assume he does work with the youth keepers too and it's not Casper doing that as thought read he was coaching as well now days?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I noticed the same at Brentford. Incredible accuracy for a goalkeeper. Can't under estimate how important his kicking is. Must be the best in the division.
Still doesn't stop the haters.....at one point on Sunday he hit one towards Bruno who was just over half way. Father behind us shouts 'FFS Stockdale you useless ****' and junior repeats this (as he did everything his old man said all game)......only to watch the ball reach Bruno who didn't have to move an inch........

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Still doesn't stop the haters.....at one point on Sunday he hit one towards Bruno who was just over half way. Father behind us shouts 'FFS Stockdale you useless ****' and junior repeats this (as he did everything his old man said all game)......only to watch the ball reach Bruno who didn't have to move an inch........

Seriously go to bed

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Ben Roberts is a bloody legend. Can we make a song for him?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I loved Ben Roberts when he played for us. He pulled off an incredible penalty save against Swindon in the playoffs that was nearly as important as Virgo's equaliser.
I managed to speak to him at the open training day, and mentioned my favourite save at Bradford, when he was just on loan. He knew immediately which game I was talking about.
He also jumped at the chance to come here as a coach, as evidenced by his interview.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I loved Ben Roberts when he played for us. He pulled off an incredible penalty save against Swindon in the playoffs that was nearly as important as Virgo's equaliser.
I managed to speak to him at the open training day, and mentioned my favourite save at Bradford, when he was just on loan. He knew immediately which game I was talking about.
He also jumped at the chance to come here as a coach, as evidenced by his interview.

One of my favourite games as a kid that was, if memory serves me right we won 1-0 didn't we?

D

Deleted member 2719

I too loved and love Ben Roberts, but i have never looked into his eyes, it may not be wise to gaze for to long as he may have had a Paul McKenna dvd for Christmas.:mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here