Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tasmania - anyone been?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Going next month. Any tips, places to see, overnights, restaurants, bars? Got 6 nights there. Cheers.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Going next month. Any tips, places to see, overnights, restaurants, bars? Got 6 nights there. Cheers.

Lucky you. I'm not at all jealous!

Claire has been and loved it. I'm sure George can get some ideas from her for you. Have a fabulous time.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've got a bottle of Sullivan's Cove single malt on the go at the moment, if that's anything to go by, then I'd imagine it's a pretty smashing place.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Abel Tasman?

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016

I'm sure there are a few residents or near residents on the board to give you better advice, and it's been a while since I've been, but the following are all worth a look:

Cascade Brewery - Australia's oldest - and a beautiful setting at the base of Mount Wellington - www.cascadebreweryco.com.au

Then you can climb Mt Wellington itself to give you amazing views back over Hobart (probably not after the brewery tour though)

Port Arthur - preserved convict site. Beautiful setting, but very eerie - especially given the shootings, almost 20 years ago now. The sort of place where history just encircles you - http://portarthur.org.au/

Freycinet Peninsula - including Wineglass Bay - just stunning. Great walking around Wineglass Bay, and plenty of places to hire kayaks to explore the surrounding lakes - http://www.australia.com/en-gb/places/freycinet/tas-wineglass-bay.html

Enjoy.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Spent a month there in a campervan and doing 2 6 day walks. Cradle Mountain and the South Western wilderness trail. More accessible is Freycenet National Park with its pink granite and beach. Fort Arthur, the British Penal Colony, is atmospheric and a beautiful location. Great restaurants,cafes and pubs abound. Make sure you get to drive around some of it. Have a good time.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Van Diemens Land...........My 5th G/Grandpa and 5th great uncle could tell you about it. Transported. Anyone else have ancestors sent down under?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
MONA museum/gallery in Hobart is extraordinary. I second the suggestion about Mount Wellington (you can drive to the top) and there's a wonderful restaurant built over Hobart harbour that serves the best seafood ever. They've got their own boats to bring it in. Also Freycinet national park on the east coast is worth a drive.

The Tassie Seagull

Dave Clarkson's Left Sock

As the resident Tassie Seagull, sure I could give you a few pointers. Are you based in the north or south? I'm up in Launceston, so would be happy to catch up with a fellow fan if you are up my way and introduce you to the local brews if needs be! 6 nights not a lot of time to get round everywhere. Pm me if you want some more info and catch up, nice to see that my little part of the world is seen as a good place to go

The Tassie Seagull

Dave Clarkson's Left Sock
Obviously lots of stuff to do:
South - Hobart, Mt Wellington, Huon Valley, Tahune airwalk, Port Arthur, Bruny Island, Hartz mountains
East - Freycinet, St Helens, Maria Island, Bay of Fires
North - Launceston & Cateract gorge, Tamar Valley vineyards, Narawantapu national park,
West - Queenstown, west coast wilderness railway, cradle mountain & lake st. Clair, Strahan, heaps of wild stuff to do out that way

Lots of tours and experiences and tours to book, happy to show anybody round who ever gets down this way! ��

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Thanks everyone. Thanks Tassie Seagull, flying into Launceston, thinking of two days north, one or two days east, and two or three days down south, before blasting back to Launceston to fly back to Melbourne.

Appreciate your detailed thoughts. Cheers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here