Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Washing machine stopped spinning

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Stopped. Just like that.

Is it likely to be the belt or similar and, if so, is it a relatively cheap and easy fix or throw it away and get another one?

If the former, can anyone recommend anyone who services the Worthing area for such things.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Could be the programmer gone-new machine.Pump blocked,still water in the drum.If it's belt drive,take off the lid,2 screws normally.Fuse blown,electric off?Loads of choices!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it's a fairly modern one it may have a computer brain freeze. We have cheap Beko which does this, we have to unplug it for 10 mins and then plug in again and run on the longest hottest programme empty and it fixes itself. Worth a try no? Or have a word with the maker to see if they have a fix? Beko advised us to do this to ours.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not an expert but know a bit about them.
If the drum stops it is quite often a throw away job.
A few fixable things can go wrong like a noisy drum or water not draining etc but these days if it's serious it's often best to get a new one.
If it's Hotpoint get rid, they are always going wrong, mine lasted less than 12 months. Get a Bosch, great appliances.
Probably going to be told it's all crap but I deal with appliances in a way, and I know an appliance engineer who more or less told me the above.
Go to AO they are good.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I have Zanussi that kept stopping and throwing up an error code.

I switched it off at the mains and restarted it and after this happened a few times its now working fine.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Could be the motor or if it's a capacitor start motor then maybe just a new capacitor.
Just guessing as washing machines aren't my field

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Could be the motor or if it's a capacitor start motor then maybe just a new capacitor.
Just guessing as washing machines aren't my field
Could be the carbons on the motor, not many washers have got capacitor motors these days

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ha - it is a Bosch!

Oh, unusual as they are very reliable. My tip now though is get a good recommend appliance engineer in but explain fully over the phone first so you don't get a bill for being told to throw it away, a good one will know if it's fixable or not and far cheaper than getting Bosch out.
My bet is it is the motherboard.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
Stopped. Just like that.

Is it likely to be the belt or similar and, if so, is it a relatively cheap and easy fix or throw it away and get another one?

If the former, can anyone recommend anyone who services the Worthing area for such things.

They have to stop spinning in the end, it's how washing machines work..

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My Bosch needs a reboot every few months - power off, power it back on with the dial on off. Dishwasher does the same but a bit less often.

If you can drain/empty if you should be able to tell if the belt is gone from the resistance on the drum if turned by hand.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We had same washing machine for about 12 years Indesit still going strong....if that helps

Edit: that will be the kiss of death for it now

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you can drain/empty if you should be able to tell if the belt is gone from the resistance on the drum if turned by hand.

No need to empty or drain it - it seemed to go through the cycle fine.

The drum turns easily when pushed by hand although Mrs Bozza thinks it's not much different to normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here