Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WHC X: Quarter Final 1 - Alligator Snapping Turtle Vs Saltwater Crocodile

Who's harder?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Let's be honest, this is what all WHC fans have been waiting for; the quarter finals. Yeah, the group stages and second round have their place and can throw up some interesting matches but it's from the quarters on that the action really starts in this tournament.

There are only eight beasts left now, all of them will have dreams of winning the coveted Animal Bowl and will know they are just three victories away from realising those dreams. Their fate is in your hands. It is your responsibility who progresses to the semi finals and who goes home. Don't abuse that responsibility. THINK CAREFULLY before voting.

48 hours, two beasts, one vote, one winner.

The Combatants:

Alligator Snapping Turtle

Snapping-turtle-no-wm-cropped.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alligator_snapping_turtle

Road to the Quarter finals:

2nd round: Beat Wolverine 38 - 27
Group B: 2nd (22 votes)

Alligator Snapping Turtle is perhaps the only beast in the competition uglier and meaner looking than his opponent. Like the saltwater croc he is a prehistoric remnant, a beast that rubbed shoulders with the dinosaurs and carried on living when they couldn't. The AST is an ancient monster that can live for CENTURIES (according to google estimated up to 200 years). Some have been found with American Civil War era musket balls lodged inside them. So they're clearly hardy buggers. What else have they got going on to accompany their ferocious looks and hardiness? Well, they have the second most powerful bite of any animal in the world, have no natural predators and can be pretty aggressive when defending itself. This is the AST's first ever appearance in the WHC, can it cause one of the biggest upsets of all time by knocking out the reigning champion and reaching the semi finals?

VS

Salt Water Crocodile

220px-Saltwater_crocodile.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltwater_crocodile

Road to the Quarterfinals:

2nd round: Beat Malayan Sun Bear 36 - 27
Group D: 1st (28 votes)

The Saltwater Croc is one of the most illustrious of beasts in the competition. He's a five time finalist and has won the last two competitions, meaning he is unbeaten since 2014. He has never been knocked out of the competition before the semi finals. How the **** does he do it year after year? By being bloody hard. He can give and take punishment with the best of them. He is surprisingly fast and agile. He has the most powerful bite - by far- of any beast in the competition. He is armour plated which is handy...but handier is his ability to continue not just surviving but thriving with a missing limb or tail. He is the only beast to have a named and patented killing move - the death roll. He can survive in fresh or salt water and will happily swim into the deep ocean where he has been known to get into it with sharks. He can catch and kill prey on land, in fresh water or salt water and can be highly aggressive.

Yoda

English & European
After doing some research on the AST, I don't think is aggressive enough. Most of the time he will still on the water bad with his mouth open ready with his coloured tongue on show as bait for his prey. He's not an active predator unlike his cousin, the smaller standard snapping turtle.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I'm normally a crocodile man, but I've been swayed by the turtle this year. What an evil looking bugger, yet still he is a turtle. Incredible.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
This will like the "shrimp" :lolol: vs "Wolverine" go to the wire.......have already voted turtle and for me this is simple SWC.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
SWC is a fine, fine beast. For sure.

What works against it, for me at least, is the obviousness of its hardness. If I had easily the most powerful bite in the world, I would abuse this trait. What does SWC have to fear exactly? He doesn't have to demonstrate any mental toughness in the slightest, which I feel is his biggest shortcoming. Compare this to, for instance the Wolverine that is capable of fighting off a pack of wolves, that shows real strength of character and mental toughness.

Still, I think SWC is the stronger of these two beasts.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
SWC is a fine, fine beast. For sure.

What works against it, for me at least, is the obviousness of its hardness. If I had easily the most powerful bite in the world, I would abuse this trait. What does SWC have to fear exactly? He doesn't have to demonstrate any mental toughness in the slightest, which I feel is his biggest shortcoming. Compare this to, for instance the Wolverine that is capable of fighting off a pack of wolves, that shows real strength of character and mental toughness.

Still, I think SWC is the stronger of these two beasts.

The way I look at these things is if you asked your mate to look after your crocodile he may have doubts. It is, as you say, obviously aggressive. If you said can you look after my turtle he'd be like yeh, the kids will love that. And the surprise element that the turtle would snap their little hands off is what makes that a surprisingly good contender. A turtle by name, but a total ******* by nature.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The way I look at these things is if you asked your mate to look after your crocodile he may have doubts. It is, as you say, obviously aggressive. If you said can you look after my turtle he'd be like yeh, the kids will love that. And the surprise element that the turtle would snap their little hands off is what makes that a surprisingly good contender. A turtle by name, but a total ******* by nature.
The AST will only snap your hand off if you put it in its mouth (beak?) It may look hard but its not, it's slow and surprisingly docile.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm normally a crocodile man, but I've been swayed by the turtle this year. What an evil looking bugger, yet still he is a turtle. Incredible.

It's the world's hardest animal contest, not the ugliest.

The salt water crocodile can swim over a thousand kilometres into deep ocean territory. Their jaws can exert a pressure of several tons. They attack and kill sharks.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Sticking with the champ, it's croc time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well seeing as how I've backed Snapping Turtle in the 2.00 at Sedgefield today, there can only be one way of voting on this one.

#teamturtle

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
It does that so it can go after sharks, which are very tasty. What other animal kills sharks, apart from humans and killer whales?

I'm just pointing out that being able to swim for miles is not something I would deem hard. It's more the purpose of the swim that's impressive in this instance.

Having said that, how impressive is killing a shark really? No species of Shark even made the competition this year, and Orca's/Humans didn't get past the first round. SWC wins this match up for me, but don't think it is the best creature left in the competition.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm just pointing out that being able to swim for miles is not something I would deem hard. It's more the purpose of the swim that's impressive in this instance.

Having said that, how impressive is killing a shark really? No species of Shark even made the competition this year, and Orca's/Humans didn't get past the first round. SWC wins this match up for me, but don't think it is the best creature left in the competition.

It certainly beats a turtle. One round at a time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here