Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Unusual way of GB progressing in the Davis Cup...

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Fair's fair - I think the umpire should be allowed to smash one back at the Canadian youngster to team him a lesson!!!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Total accident in regards to the ball hitting the umpire. Reminds me of Tim Henman hitting a ball in anger at the start of his career at Wimbledon and being DQ. For hitting the line lady if I remember right or could of been a ball Girl.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was watching the game via the BBC red button, it was a shame that the match had to finish that way as it was purely accidental and born out of frustration (by a young player) who was just trying to launch it into the distance and not to hit anyone but apparently the rules left them no choice but to disqualify the Canadian player however it was also weird that it took them so long to announce it.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Silly in my opinion. Everybody knows it was a complete accident. A tennis ball is not like a Joshua right hand. Common sense should take in to account the paying public, TV audience etc.

I'm glad we won by the way.

Maybe a point or 2 is punishment sufficient.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe this rule should be brought into football wheteby if any player manhandles or kicks or throws objects at match officials the game is immediately awarded to the opposing team.
This might bring a bit more restraint.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Silly in my opinion. Everybody knows it was a complete accident. A tennis ball is not like a Joshua right hand. Common sense should take in to account the paying public, TV audience etc.

If you smack a ball into an official you're going to be in trouble in any sport - in football its a straight red (as Ashley Barnes found out) - this is the tennis equivalent.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I think its in the rules though.

Didn't Henman suffer a similar fate early in his career when he hit a ball girl?

Also at Queens, a player defaulted when he kicked a hoarding and it went into a line judge who was sitting behind it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here