Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electrics question

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm rewiring a table lamp but the lampholder doesn't have any indication which terminal is live and which is neutral. All the instructions I've looked at just say connect to the correct terminal but none of them say which is which.

Does it matter? Or is there a way of finding out? (it's a two-wire plug, so there's no earth to be worried about), What happens if I get wrong (I don't want to be electrocuted before we get promoted)?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
colors of wires? age of lamp?

i take it there are no wires..

best leave it to an expert.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
not important, is just like an in and an out for a lamp.
feel free to stand back when you turn it on at the socket if you like!
(I'm an electrician btw....)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I'm rewiring a table lamp but the lampholder doesn't have any indication which terminal is live and which is neutral. All the instructions I've looked at just say connect to the correct terminal but none of them say which is which.

Does it matter? Or is there a way of finding out? (it's a two-wire plug, so there's no earth to be worried about), What happens if I get wrong (I don't want to be electrocuted before we get promoted)?
Take a photo and post it

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
00653fdc5984006783482536339095eb.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Think of a bayonet light-bulb. It has two contact points, and you can fit it either way around. Does it matter which way around you fit it? No it doesn't.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, it didn't blow me up but it didn't work either. Maybe I'll just buy another table lamp

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Well, it didn't blow me up but it didn't work either. Maybe I'll just buy another table lamp

bulb,fuse? have u switched it on :lolol:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I took a dimmer roller ball switch out of a lamp's wire and replaced it with a torpedo switch.

Now, that went with a BANG.......:mad::mad:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Is it the type that has the on/off switch halfway down the lead?

If yes, these switches often make/break just one of the wires.
Minor safety point would be to ensure it breaks the live feed to the bulb socket rather than the neutral return - but not essential as he bulb won't care which terminal is live and which is neutral as the filament will respond to either.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
if it is a screw in bulb then it does matter as the centre pin (of the bulb) is the live (red/brown) wire.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here