Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changing Banks

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm 55 and have never really changed my bank account. Am currently with Nat West, am I missing out on anything exciting?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I did this before Christmas from Co-Op to TSB. I got a £100 cash signing up fee and also benefit from 3% interest on balance, 1% cash back on contactless payments.

The bank transfer guarantee is great to. They will forward on all payments made to your old account to the new one for 2 years, as well as writing to whoever sent you the money updating them. You also get all your direct debits and standing orders moved from old bank to new bank so you literally have to do nothing. Recommend doing it and shopping around

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I did this before Christmas from Co-Op to TSB. I got a £100 cash signing up fee and also benefit from 3% interest on balance, 1% cash back on contactless payments.

The bank transfer guarantee is great to. They will forward on all payments made to your old account to the new one for 2 years, as well as writing to whoever sent you the money updating them. You also get all your direct debits and standing orders moved from old bank to new bank so you literally have to do nothing. Recommend doing it and shopping around

Thanks, wasn't really doing it for cash back but just wondered if there's any better online or packaged solutions. At the moment we get the usual travel insurance, iPhone insurance etc.

Service is poor and couldn't tell you who the Bank Manager / Account Manager is now

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks, wasn't really doing it for cash back but just wondered if there's any better online or packaged solutions. At the moment we get the usual travel insurance, iPhone insurance etc.

Service is poor and couldn't tell you who the Bank Manager / Account Manager is now

I haven't changed since I left school either (despite working for 4 different banks in the 30-odd years since). For the vast majority of people I don't think there's much in it to be honest, and inertia (ie can't be arsed, like many) prevents me from doing anything about it. I know the bank-to-bank transfer process is now much more simple, but I really can't be bothered to go through a new registration process for online banking etc. I don't know who my branch manager is, and haven't set foot in the place for years or spoken to anyone - simply no need for me. I do get a letter about once every 4-6 weeks from my 'personal account executive' though suggesting a meeting to 'discuss my needs' etc - slight flaw in that being that the letter is signed by a different person each time. I could probably get a better deal or some freebies for changing, but what I've got works and is hassle free so I'm sticking with it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm 55 and have never really changed my bank account. Am currently with Nat West, am I missing out on anything exciting?

I will be moving on from Nat West if they close the Peacehaven or Seaford branch. Probably won't be long, these branches keep cutting their opening hours. Not sure why as there is always a big queue in the Peacehaven branch.

I can't move accounts to another bank in Newhaven as Newhaven doesn't have a bank.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I was with natwest for about 30 years. Changed to First Direct last year. £125 welcome gift, overdraft facility and their website easy to use. Part of HSBC so on those rare occasions I need to pay in a cheque I use them.
Very easy to change banks as your new and your old bank do it all for you.

The concept of customer loyalty seems a thing of the past; services seem interested in attracting new custom rather than rewarding longstanding custom.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

If you want to know who your NatWest bank manager is, go in and ask them. Every branch has one. If you want to know who your account manager (or personal adviser) is, go and ask them. If you want your branch to stay open, use it. Why not combine the lot in one go and make an appointment to see them for a review? Give them the opportunity to look at your needs with you and make sure you are making the best of your banking. They don't have any sales objectives or bonuses, the product range is good, the Mobile App is brilliant and the Rewards, especially when combined with a credit card, can make you a lot of money. Plus providing a good service is their main priority. Why not make a bit of effort with your own bank first.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I haven't changed since I left school either (despite working for 4 different banks in the 30-odd years since). For the vast majority of people I don't think there's much in it to be honest, and inertia (ie can't be arsed, like many) prevents me from doing anything about it. I know the bank-to-bank transfer process is now much more simple, ............. I don't know who my branch manager is, and haven't set foot in the place for years or spoken to anyone - simply no need for me. I do get a letter about once every 4-6 weeks from my 'personal account executive' though suggesting a meeting to 'discuss my needs' etc - slight flaw in that being that the letter is signed by a different person each time. I could probably get a better deal or some freebies for changing, but what I've got works and is hassle free so I'm sticking with it.

Very similar here, but used your arguments in the opposite way. Realised it didn't matter where I banked as never went in. All banks work online so decided to switch purely for the money, got £150 from First Direct last year. Thinking of doing the same again, just for the dosh. I will use the same computer, tablet and mobile to conduct my banking whicher bank's name is at the top of the statement.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I will be moving on from Nat West if they close the Peacehaven or Seaford branch. Probably won't be long, these branches keep cutting their opening hours. Not sure why as there is always a big queue in the Peacehaven branch.

I can't move accounts to another bank in Newhaven as Newhaven doesn't have a bank.

Problem is we don't have a bank in Arundel at all now, NatWest and Lloyds both pulled out in a matter of weeks.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If you want to know who your NatWest bank manager is, go in and ask them. Every branch has one. If you want to know who your account manager (or personal adviser) is, go and ask them. If you want your branch to stay open, use it. Why not combine the lot in one go and make an appointment to see them for a review? Give them the opportunity to look at your needs with you and make sure you are making the best of your banking. They don't have any sales objectives or bonuses, the product range is good, the Mobile App is brilliant and the Rewards, especially when combined with a credit card, can make you a lot of money. Plus providing a good service is their main priority. Why not make a bit of effort with your own bank first.

Sounds so simple, doesn't it. Yes, I called my Premium Account Manager and another person answered and said she worked someone else now and to contact Piccadilly, where my business acciunts are held. Called them only to be told to contact my local branch, which they've closed. So called my next nearest branch and they gave me a number to call, yes, the first number I dialled .... can you see why I'm not that bothered about trying to make an appt.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sounds so simple, doesn't it. Yes, I called my Premium Account Manager and another person answered and said she worked someone else now and to contact Piccadilly, where my business acciunts are held. Called them only to be told to contact my local branch, which they've closed. So called my next nearest branch and they gave me a number to call, yes, the first number I dialled .... can you see why I'm not that bothered about trying to make an appt.

You've had a bit of a runaround, but it's been a good few years since they were referred to as Premium Account Managers in NatWest. Feel free to pm me if you like and I'll happily clear up your details of who and how to contact.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here