Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Set up wrong tonite!

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
I`m very much a Hughton fan but tonight he set the team up wrong. Should of played 4-5-1, we were playing a very good footballing side and the midfield battle was going to be key especially away from home! This put us on the back foot from the start and therefore our passing was desperate and sloppy. Huddersfield kept the ball better than us and took advantage of how we started. Surprised and concerned that the manager did not see it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I`m very much a Hughton fan but tonight he set the team up wrong. Should of played 4-5-1
We've had success all season with 442, so I don't think 451 was the answer. I don't think Kayal and Norwood were either though.

We were poor, Huddersfield were good, the balls bounced there way a few times and we were outplayed. It happens.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
It is - but odd that Murphy started over Skalak. Otherwise can't fault the selection based on who was fit. Some loan signings may be useful now though.

Sorry mate but that option went out with Jim White on the 31st.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Wonderful thing hindsight isn't it?

It's not hindsight really - anyone that watches us regularly at games sees us get outmanned in midfield on a regular basis. Consequently, a performance and result like this has been coming against a side that dominates the midfield area and has a nippy striker, which obviously doesn't play to Duffy's strengths.

The key rather, is to appreciate that the system works for us 90% of the time, even when we're outnumbered in midfield, as generally we have superior players to most of the league. But I agree with the OP, Houghton should be willing to show more tactical flexibility when away from home against a side that is of close or equal ability, when he knows that side will have more men in midfield.

Ultimately, that lack of flexibility is probably why CH has never been able to hold down a Premier League job.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I have a feeling we'd have lost tonight regardless of formations. Huddersfield were up for this from the off, we weren't.

Hopefully this performance will be the kick up the jacksie that our boys need to start playing again.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
no Stephens

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've had success all season with 442, so I don't think 451 was the answer. I don't think Kayal and Norwood were either though.

We were poor, Huddersfield were good, the balls bounced there way a few times and we were outplayed. It happens.
I still can't work out why Hemed and Murray play together.

A watered down version of tonight was the season I thought we'd be consigned to after the summer window shut without another Baldock being signed.

It's all worked out brilliantly up to now, fingers crossed the missing key players will be back soon, along with the swagger.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Memories of Cardiff last season. Take a wining side, replace three players, and then lose badly. I was stunned at the apparent lack of control when passing and the lack of ability to actually trap and control the ball. Frankly we looked more like a mid-table side than top of the league.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Memories of Cardiff last season. Take a wining side, replace three players, and then lose badly. I was stunned at the apparent lack of control when passing and the lack of ability to actually trap and control the ball. Frankly we looked more like a mid-table side than top of the league.
Mid-table League One maybe.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Makes me laugh when muppets start threads like this! Give Huddersfield some credit, they are a very good team especially at home! Don't think we would have won whoever was out tonight! You be concerned old boy but I will keep my faith in the best manager in the league!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's not hindsight really - anyone that watches us regularly at games sees us get outmanned in midfield on a regular basis. Consequently, a performance and result like this has been coming against a side that dominates the midfield area and has a nippy striker, which obviously doesn't play to Duffy's strengths.

The key rather, is to appreciate that the system works for us 90% of the time, even when we're outnumbered in midfield, as generally we have superior players to most of the league. But I agree with the OP, Houghton should be willing to show more tactical flexibility when away from home against a side that is of close or equal ability, when he knows that side will have more men in midfield.

Ultimately, that lack of flexibility is probably why CH has never been able to hold down a Premier League job.

Thanks for posting this. Saved me the effort, but I wouldn't have written that last sentence.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He won't be playing 4-4-2 away to Leeds or Barnsley.

We have a lot of 4-4-2 zealots on here. This post suggests you're anti-4-4-2. We've done fantastically with 4-4-2 in this league this season (and for much of last). But what we haven't had is only 4-4-2. We've often resorted to 4-5-1 in the last 15/20 minutes of games to see it out. This indicates flexibility within a game. I'd also rather CH adds flexibility between games, and I do think that given the personnel available, the fitness/match sharpness of some of them, and the style and quality of the opposition, he should have played a midfield three -- especially given that Stephens was out and Kayal wasn't remotely sharp enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here