Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton, Strikers and Moneyball - a hypothesis

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
With another transfer window passed and no multi-million pound signing up front, I've been trying to think a little bit deeper about our transfer policy at the moment, and thinking about it in the context of 'Moneyball', the book/film about baseball finances and the successful strategy that the Oakland A's, a small market team, used in order to compete with the big boys. You're probably familiar with it, the general idea is that the team looks for a competitive advantage by prioritising signing the types of players that are undervalued by other teams. Baseball is heavily 'statted-up', if that's a phrase, and they can calculate how many extra Wins each player has created for the team, and therefore the value of each Win. The A's were one of the first teams to get deep into this and realise they could buy wins cheaper by targeting certain types of players than others. This has been roundly adopted across the MLB and the study of the way each team pursues a competitive advantage is fascinating.

So to football, and I can't really remember anyone talking moneyball in this context, perhaps because in the Prem money is flowing so freely that all signings are effectively a bidding war and everyone is overvalued, in salary and transfer fee. Nevertheless the pursuit of cheaper overseas players, first from Europe, then from Africa, and the increase in loans are examples of moneyball in action.

Down in the championship, budgets and resources are most definitely finite. Our recruitment team has to build a full first eleven plus subs on a limited budget, and compete with richer teams, and therefore a strategy has to be developed to target these limited resources in the most effective way. I propose therefore that the reason we don't spend big on a striker, to not get involved in Hogan or McCormack or others, is a deliberate tactical decision because the value that these strikers provide relative to their cost is less in terms of points gained than a left-back or right-winger, for example, and therefore it is more prudent to assign our resources into those positions where the return per pound spent is higher. We could afford the striker that everyone craves, but it will come at a cost elsewhere in the team. Instead, we only look for bargains up front and stay away when the cost starts escalating.

Hypothesis therefore: Our relative shortage of strikers and lack of 'big' signings in this area is not by accident or failure but by design. We are deliberately not targeting strikers and leaving this as one of the weaker areas of the team because strikers are overvalued in football, and instead maximising our competitive advantage by targeting positions that are undervalued in football.

Maybe. :shrug: I'm sure it needs some work, but its a different way to look at things.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
If you haven't already done so, have a read of - The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Football is Wrong. Some interesting stuff re buying players, including why buying a good defender is more important than a striker (not to mention the massive cost differential, which is huge where FFP comes in to play).

Currently reading Soccernomics, which is also a good read.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
With another transfer window passed and no multi-million pound signing up front, I've been trying to think a little bit deeper about our transfer policy at the moment, and thinking about it in the context of 'Moneyball', the book/film about baseball finances and the successful strategy that the Oakland A's, a small market team, used in order to compete with the big boys. You're probably familiar with it, the general idea is that the team looks for a competitive advantage by prioritising signing the types of players that are undervalued by other teams. Baseball is heavily 'statted-up', if that's a phrase, and they can calculate how many extra Wins each player has created for the team, and therefore the value of each Win. The A's were one of the first teams to get deep into this and realise they could buy wins cheaper by targeting certain types of players than others. This has been roundly adopted across the MLB and the study of the way each team pursues a competitive advantage is fascinating.

So to football, and I can't really remember anyone talking moneyball in this context, perhaps because in the Prem money is flowing so freely that all signings are effectively a bidding war and everyone is overvalued, in salary and transfer fee. Nevertheless the pursuit of cheaper overseas players, first from Europe, then from Africa, and the increase in loans are examples of moneyball in action.

Down in the championship, budgets and resources are most definitely finite. Our recruitment team has to build a full first eleven plus subs on a limited budget, and compete with richer teams, and therefore a strategy has to be developed to target these limited resources in the most effective way. I propose therefore that the reason we don't spend big on a striker, to not get involved in Hogan or McCormack or others, is a deliberate tactical decision because the value that these strikers provide relative to their cost is less in terms of points gained than a left-back or right-winger, for example, and therefore it is more prudent to assign our resources into those positions where the return per pound spent is higher. We could afford the striker that everyone craves, but it will come at a cost elsewhere in the team. Instead, we only look for bargains up front and stay away when the cost starts escalating.

Hypothesis therefore: Our relative shortage of strikers and lack of 'big' signings in this area is not by accident or failure but by design. We are deliberately not targeting strikers and leaving this as one of the weaker areas of the team because strikers are overvalued in football, and instead maximising our competitive advantage by targeting positions that are undervalued in football.

Maybe. :shrug: I'm sure it needs some work, but its a different way to look at things.

I take your points, but we signed Murray on a permanent deal. Technically, at a rumoured £3m, he IS a 'multi-million pound signing'. As a player who has already scored lots of – and vital – goals this season, I'd rather have him tied down than spend, say, £10m on an unknown quantity (for the Albion). In some ways that would be a BIGGER risk than sticking with what we've got.

I also don't think we have a shortage of strikers. Three permanent and one loan is OK, isn't it? Especially when there are players playing behind who can deliver and score at a fairly decent rate.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If you haven't already done so, have a read of - The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Football is Wrong. Some interesting stuff re buying players, including why buying a good defender is more important than a striker (not to mention the massive cost differential, which is huge where FFP comes in to play).

Loved Soccernomics.

Will have a look at the numbers game.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Additionally, the book states in the professional games you don't win games by having the best player on the pitch (park football always tends to be this way) but you are more likely to lose games by having the weakest player on the pitch.

So yes, lack of big signings but having strength all over the pitch is important to our success this season. It maybe why pundits are saying Newcastle have the best players but we have the best team.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Read The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin and everything will become clear.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Didn't Liverpool adopt 'Moneyball' a few years ago and fail? Maybe it works better in a more individual sport like baseball but less so in football which is more about the team as a whole?

Very interesting strategy none the less and I will look at the books you've mentioned.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

It's an approach famously taken by Brentford and, as such, has caused at least one manager to leave

Thanks, I've missed those - I guess its inevitable that teams do take this approach, but perhaps surprising that its not exactly common knowledge or frequently discussed. It does explain why Derby load up with strikers and we don't - different approaches to the same problem

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think there is a place for the stats to be considered as part of an overall recruitment strategy and approach, but football is very different from baseball which doesn't rely on teamwork and team spirit (but much more on the ability to throw or hit a ball) - which as our lot have shown can mean a team can contribute so much more than the sum of its constituent parts. The moneyball algorithms can't compute that stuff but it can make or break a season.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I think there is a place for the stats to be considered as part of an overall recruitment strategy and approach, but football is very different from baseball which doesn't rely on teamwork and team spirit (but much more on the ability to throw or hit a ball) - which as our lot have shown can mean a team can contribute so much more than the sum of its constituent parts. The moneyball algorithms can't compute that stuff but it can make or break a season.

Its not just stats though, its simply targeting resources at players and positions which are undervalued and staying away from positions that are overvalued

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I know (although the value is one of the the 'stats' isn't it ?).......but the fit into the team is so critical

Agree with this. I can't see CH signing anyone currently who doesn't fit into the team hard work ethic. Difficult to judge someone's determination, workrate etc from stats alone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here