Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rohan Ince - Flattered to Deceive

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Rohan Ince, on his way to Swindon it would appear. A player who showed real promise in his first couple of seasons at the club, but lost his way rather after Oscar Garcia left.

Incy's best position for me, will always be as a centre back, seemingly it was when he was converted into a defensive midfield player, that his troubles started.

Hopefully Swindon will realise that, play him as a defender, and he can go on to reignite his career.

Mar 2, 2014
No, he was massively overrated. At the same time, Keith Andrews was massively underrated. Maybe that's clearer now that both Ince and Forster-Caskey are playing League 1 football. No offence to either, good honest professionals who were part of a team which finished in the top 6 but individually they weren't up to the task. All the best to them both in League 1, there's no reason that either of them shouldn't have good careers.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Rohan Ince, on his way to Swindon it would appear. A player who showed real promise in his first couple of seasons at the club, but lost his way rather after Oscar Garcia left.

Incy's best position for me, will always be as a centre back, seemingly it was when he was converted into a defensive midfield player, that his troubles started.

Hopefully Swindon will realise that, play him as a defender, and he can go on to reignite his career.

Absolute rubbish. He was signed as a centre back a position where he wouldn't have got a look in. Garcia transformed him into a half decent holding midfielder. He is simply a player not suited to playing in a 2 man midfield.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not believe that he can play as a CB as despite his size is poor in the air although he could play alongside a stopper centre back who is good in the air or I would say he is best just in front of the back four as a DM.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
No, he was massively overrated. At the same time, Keith Andrews was massively underrated. Maybe that's clearer now that both Ince and Forster-Caskey are playing League 1 football. No offence to either, good honest professionals who were part of a team which finished in the top 6 but individually they weren't up to the task. All the best to them both in League 1, there's no reason that either of them shouldn't have good careers.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Absolute rubbish. He was signed as a centre back a position where he wouldn't have got a look in. Garcia transformed him into a half decent holding midfielder. He is simply a player not suited to playing in a 2 man midfield.

Call it absolute rubbish if you will, but I'm afraid my opinion is just as valid as yours. I saw quite a bit of Rohan as a centre half, (admittedly most of those games were for the Development Squad), but one or two senior games like the EFL Cup and Checkatrade Trophy. In all of those games he acquitted himself pretty well.

In midfield though , his long legs often seemed to get in the way, he would all too easily lose the ball, and much of the time didn't seem to have too much idea of his role in the side.

Wherever Swindon choose to play him though, I wish him ell. A good lad is Rohan.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
As I put on the other thread, I often find a central midfielder who cant control or pass a football very well will often struggle.

His immense power and height hid a VERY average footballer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh goodie yet another thread doing down a player the moment he's left the building.

At least nobody can call us classy!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I do not believe that he can play as a CB as despite his size is poor in the air although he could play alongside a stopper centre back who is good in the air or I would say he is best just in front of the back four as a DM.

Could he do a job at LB?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh goodie yet another thread doing down a player the moment he's left the building.

How is arguing about his best position, and wishing him well in League 1, running him down? We've got better players here now, so he's not likely to make the first team - so off he goes. That's pretty much just plain fact.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Never forget that goal he scored against Swindon in the Capital One Cup, I was in the away end and Brighton had been complete pants up until that point. When Rohan lashed that ball in for a split second all us Brighton fans stood their in disbelief before going nuts. Nice one Rohan and good luck to you.

https://youtu.be/Zq3NHUcIIqQ

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I have said I don't think he's good enough when he was here. That apparently isn't supportive.

I have said I don't think he's good enough when he's leaving. That's "doing down" a player and not being classy.

If you could just let me know when I'm officially allowed to say I don't think he's good enough then that would be appreciated.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Well, I went to a few home games when CH had pretty much rescued us from the Hypia shambles and thought across those 3 or 4 matches Ince was as good as anyone for us ... particularly memorable was him BATTERING a Norwich player.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It hasn't worked out here for him under Hughton and I wish him well AND I do get what most people on here are saying but I do think the thread title is unfair. Did Ince EVER flatter to deceive? I don't think so. It suggests that he had a big player opinion of himself and was mercurial in effort and ability. Rather, I'd say that he was a hard-working team player who shone briefly for us during that peculiarly dysfunctional phase between Poyet leaving and Hughton starting and always gave his best.

And as others have said, that tackle...oh my goodness. That tackle!

Stumpy Tim

Garcia transformed him into a half decent holding midfielder. He is simply a player not suited to playing in a 2 man midfield.

The biggest myth going around is that Garcia played him as a holding midfielder. Garcia turned Ince into an all-action midfield enforcer, not a holding midfielder. Under Garcia, Ince would run all over midfield winning the ball in all areas - he was a sight to behold. Hughton has always played Ince as a holding midfielder, and he simply doesn't have the positioning maturity to play there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here