Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sell off the BBC

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I would love them to sell off the BBC if it were to generate that sort of money. However wouldn't a lot of the money generated be based on a gaurentee of being able to charge the license fee for x number of years? That would probably just mean more and more rubbish with bigger profits going out of it.

With all the other big boys out there now would someone pay massive sums to take it on without the millions/billions that come in without even trying?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think the BBC lost its true British identity years ago.
I know change is sometimes for the better, but even some traditions must be kept.
When I used to go and see Jools Hollands Later program at the Wood Lane centre, it used to be an experience going to the iconic building, queueing up taking in the surroundings.
But now going down to Westfield opposite, you see the old facade has virtually gone, being replaced by posh flats and an independent cinema.
Perhaps I'm getting older or just moody :wink:

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/p...-on-sale-at-iconic-white-city-hq-a100781.html

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how on earth would selling off BBC generate £250Bn? for comparison, Fox is offer to buy Sky values it at about £18bn. not sure if its a nutter or a spoof.

if we want a serious debate about the license fee, we should allow it more commercial freedom, offering online content through a premium access for a start. would be very easy to implement free access for UK residents/license holders, and bring the license down substantially (may even fully fund it on some estimates iirc)

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I know change is sometimes for the better, but even some traditions must be kept.
When I used to go and see Jools Hollands Later program at the Wood Lane centre, it used to be an experience going to the iconic building, queueing up taking in the surroundings.
But now going down to Westfield opposite, you see the old facade has virtually gone, being replaced by posh flats and an independent cinema.

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/p...-on-sale-at-iconic-white-city-hq-a100781.html

What happened to TV Centre is a shame, but I think they've done a really good job of preserving Broadcasting House while modernising it. I like how they kept the original art deco facade, but blended it with the new, glass fronting while creating a sheltered space (via the curved building) to do any outside broadcasts from.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sign it? Will I bollox! Far too much has been flogged off cheap by previous Tory Governments, so no more thanks. In fact, it would be a better idea to start reversing failed privatisations, like the railways.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pretty much the envy of the world and people want to sell it off!!!

Everybody thinks it's biased against their point of view because when they interview anyone they take up the opposite view to remain unbiased.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

And I believe the Jools Holland show is now recorded in Maidstone for some strange reason.

I think the BBC has been on the slide since they made the decision to move north (well really when they stopped the announcers having to wear evening wear and dropped the national anthem at closedown)

But what is going on opposite Westfields must give anyone with an affinity to the BBC Centre or an interest in preserving historic buildings a heartache each time they walk past.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I can't be sure but I've heard all people signing this petition are window-licking cretins.

Well,I wasn't going to sign it,but as you are always utterly wrong about everything,I think I shall.Yet another unfunny post from the master of unsubstantiation.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Pretty much the envy of the world and people want to sell it off!!!

Everybody thinks it's biased against their point of view because when they interview anyone they take up the opposite view to remain unbiased.

Pretty much agree with this. I do think there are biased reporters but by and large, it's as you say. Classic case in point is Jeremy Paxman who revealed after retiring from Newsnight that he's a Conservative supporter - I'm not sure anyone would have predicted that given his history of interviewing Tory ministers. If you want to look at TV media bias then Channel 4's Jon Snow shows his true colours far too often, in comparison.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I do like the comment of Oliver King of Newcastle

There are nothing only repeats and un biased information.

I also like the comments of too much left wing bias, oh, and too much right wing bias.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't be sure but I've heard all people signing this petition are window-licking cretins.

A cretin is someone who suffers from a thyroid deficiency as a baby. They don't lick windows, which I understand is a sign of mental illness of some form.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
I used to look at the complaints logs for the BBC and I can tell you that there were just as many complaints about right-wing bias as left-wing bias, pro-Palestine, pro-Israel, pro-Europe, anti-Europe etc.

I consider that a sign that they mostly get it right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here