Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Cyclist, Brighton Station

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's odd that they blame the Southern Rail Strike as the reason, as that's now (at least temporarily) ended.

I guess the past year has been just too much for them?

Is it a freehouse?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I agree, I liked popping in there for a pint when I was going anywhere on the train.

An impact of the lack of trains?

Seemingly a massive impact. They have said it's the dispute that's been the key driver (no pun intended)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That is a real shame as was always handy for a pint in between trains. Also had very good scotch eggs.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Blimey - I didn't know about this.

Sad news. One of quite a rare breed - a decent station pub with good drinks and good food.

it wasn't that long ago they enlarged either.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
That is a shame, I had many a work meeting in there :). However it was never really that busy, apart from before matches, so I can see why. There are a lot of boozers around there, so competition is high.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
always seemed empty the few times I've been in there, and lacked a sense of inviting me in (doors shut, no promotions). too many other pubs nearby is probably real story.

theboybilly

I thought something was amiss because it was closed when I came back from Preston the other Sunday. I'd had a good session there the week before (after the MK Dons game) and they were gearing up for evening entertainment - everything looked rosy. As has been said they've just gone through a minor expansion and added toilet facilities. But it wasn't cheap - I think the cheapest Bitter was £4,20 when I was last in so premium lagers must be pushing £5.50 - £6. Network Rail really need to look at their rents as the Cyclist was a decent little bar

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shame. That was a decent place.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
That's a shame another reason to blame Southern/RMT , GTR etc for bringing down the economy in this part of the world .

Nobody will know the true extent of the damage this industrial dispute has had on the area until an economic study has been commissioned from one of the trendy think tanks

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
It was expensive in there but a decent pub to wait in if you had 10 minutes to kill before a train

Odd that this has happened so soon after expansion as the utter cuntfest that is the train service isn't exactly a recent development. If they knew they were struggling due to Southern's ineptitude why spend money making the place bigger and finally adding toilets? Unless it has all come to a head due to the strikes

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
That is a great shame. Good place to meet people from out of town, if only to move on to other places.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here