Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Average age of supporters who attend home games regularly - & what it means for the future

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Average age of supporters who attend home games regularly - & what it means for the future

I was sipping a pint of Harveys in the Upper West before the Cardiff game and regarding my fellow supporters and was struck by how old we all are. I'm in my mid 50s and it seemed to me that a good 80-90% of people around me were, like me, white, male, mid 50s.

Does this sound right to you?

Or am I just screening out the young uns?

There are obviously a few women, a few teenagers, a few kids, but - overwhelmingly - it seems to me it's full of older blokes.

Not surprising, as modern prices mean attending matches is not as accessible as it was in the good old days of terraces, but what does this mean for the club? In 20-30 years how will clubs reconnect with today's younger people, many of whom have never got into attending matches? Or will people develop the habit later in life when they are more likely to have the financial means?

What do you think about this?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I was sipping a pint of Harveys in the Upper West before the Cardiff game and regarding my fellow supporters and was struck by how old we all are. I'm in my mid 50s and it seemed to me that a good 80-90% of people around me were, like me, white, male, mid 50s.

There are obviously a few women, a few teenagers, a few kids, but - overwhelmingly - it seems to me it's full of older blokes.

Not surprising, as modern prices mean attending matches is not as accessible as it was in the good old days of terraces, but what does this mean for the club? In 20-30 years how will clubs reconnect with today's younger people, many of whom have never got into attending matches? Or will people develop the habit later in life when they are more likely to have the financial means?

It means it'll be the preserve of the rich kids.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I think it's massively down to how good we were when 'youngsters' were growing up. I was the only albion fan in my school (i'm 21) and that was mainly due to the fact we were scratching around in the bottom divisions. Based purely on a 'albion shirts I see in the high street' poll i'd say a lot more young kids support us now. Give it time and there'll be a lot younger demographic but I think its safe to say we definitely have a lost generation.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Think your view would be different in the East or North stands. End of thread :)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think we are well on our way to get the next generation on board. Seems to be a good cross section of ages from my experience. The club have some great schemes for young members, free shirts, ticket offers etc

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
All us youngsters are in the north creating an atmosphere 👍

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I see something similar in ESU , but if you look downwards to ESL, i.e. the family section, then there are loads of kids there. Also, I am sure that the age range in the north stand will be much lower, so am not sure that this is necessarily a cause for concern, though can understand your feelings.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Reckon we lost a generation of supporters at least during the Priestfield / Withdean days , Can't confirm this but i read somewhere that last season we had approaching 5k of junior season ticket holders :eek: , always amazes me the amount of kids i see at the Amex can't see anything but a growing younger fan base if we keep being successful and the club continues to encourage the nippers with fair pricing for families , they are tomorrow's grumpy 50 year old NSC'ers who like nothing more than to correct spelling mistakes and say Your Mum a lot . But in answer to the original question , yes especially at london area away games .

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
20 to 30, to busy chasing girls, no money left for football.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Think this more a reflection of where you sit if you ask me. Loads of supporters of all ages around the Amex for sure.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Also, if you base things on looking around the concourses, I think the majority will be older, particularly if they are there having a beer or two. The kids/younger ones tend to nip to the counters for soft drinks, then head back to the seats etc. Having sat in most parts of the Amex, there IS some variation of the demographic and overall I think there is a good balance. I guess the club would know exact percentages, and certainly the YS programme has helped greatly to encourage and nurture young support.

The West is also an expensive stand to get tickets for, so that also sways parents buying tickets for kids who may/may not be too bothered by the footy!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have noticed that the older you are, the nearer you sit to God at the Amex. (EU, WSU ?)

I'm only halfway up the North so must have years to go yet :lolol:

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

If you listen to this interview with the head of marketing, Tom Gorringe, from 18 minutes in he starts talking about the ages of our fan base. We have a spike from 16-18 (or over-index as he puts it), and then from 18 to mid 30s it drops off, before peaking again for older supporters (basically down to playing at Withdean and Gillingham for 14 years).

So based upon this, your fear is unfounded. We are attracting a large number of younger supporters, but struggle to convert those in their 20s and 30s.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5030263-tom-gorringe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here