Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Albion photos - what match is this? (Part 2)

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Some more old photos, including what looks like another goal. Good to see the ref keeping up with play.

I've written the match details down wrong, but I know it's one of two possible games.

So, over to you...

PBB15.jpg

PBB16.jpg

PBB17.jpg

PBB18.jpg

PBB19.jpg

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Brighton v Birmingham 6 October 1984 when it kicked off outside of the West with their Zulus

Outside? They came right in by that little bar in the side of the west stand and nearly spilled my pint. Unfortunately they never opened it again.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Brighton v Birmingham 6 October 1984 when it kicked off outside of the West with their Zulus

Yeah, I'd got it written down as 29 September, but that was against Fulham, also 2-0.

So, I guess that's Steve Jacobs scoring in the second picture?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Can I just say, I LOVE looking at these pictures.

I watched a lot of games from the East when I was younger, before I migrated to the North. There is a real authentic quality to these pictures that transports me straight back to where I spent some of the best days of my life, in an instant. I've spent far longer than I probably should poring over every detail of these pictures. Photos of more recent matches, in purpose-built stadiums with rows of identical plastic seats just don't have the same soul as images of the old grounds, with trees and houses in the background.

They're like finding lost treasure.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
The Lego stand actually looks ok in that photo. I think its because you can't see all of it and therefore can't see how small it was.

Saying that it would have been the Grandstand at Withdene.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
The Lego stand actually looks ok in that photo. I think its because you can't see all of it and therefore can't see how small it was.

Saying that it would have been the Grandstand at Withdene.

Nice and steep, isn't it? But fewer rows than the Amex north stand.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Why didn't they keep the Lego stand?

Because it wasn't safe (the clue is in the name), and we didn't need the extra capacity after we were relegated from Division 1

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yeah, I'd got it written down as 29 September, but that was against Fulham, also 2-0.

So, I guess that's Steve Jacobs scoring in the second picture?

Steve Jacobs, very underrated and very solid. A holding midfield player before the term was invented. Allowed Danny Wilson and Dennis Mortimer to get forward.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Last win before a rotten October run saw us fall away from the top three. The next home game was a defeat against Barnsley. The match the North Stand re-opened.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
That started in the South first... we were 'scuffling' for our lives until they got thrown out then re-entered at the north end of the west stand.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here