Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Overpaid by mistake

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I just got a nice bit of extra wedge to the tune of just over 3k “Commission” in my January pay packet. Lovely! but sadly I wasn’t due any commission so I toyed with the idea of keeping quiet but being honest (dumb?) and guessing that they will eventually suss that they have over paid I owned up and paid it back today.

I'd noticed it late on Friday afternoon and was “mentally” spending the money over the weekend but am only 9 months into a new job, had some nice commission that I was due the month before and a tasty promotion/pay rise so I just had to own up.

I might be torturing myself here but has anyone ever had an over payment, kept quiet and your company hasn’t noticed?

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I just got a nice bit of extra wedge to the tune of just over 3k “Commission” in my January pay packet. Lovely! but sadly I wasn’t due any commission so I toyed with the idea of keeping quiet but being honest (dumb?) and guessing that they will eventually suss that they have over paid I owned up and paid it back today.

I'd noticed it late on Friday afternoon and was “mentally” spending the money over the weekend but am only 9 months into a new job, had some nice commission that I was due the month before and a tasty promotion/pay rise so I just had to own up.

I might be torturing myself here but has anyone ever had an over payment, kept quiet and your company hasn’t noticed?

I was paid twice once by a company ....but everyone was that month, they demanded we all pay it back! ....so we did, damn!

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Three grand is probably something that would always be spotted and demanded back. You did the right thing, and being a relative "newbie" it should only go down well with your employers.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You done the right thing Badger and your company will be grateful of your honesty.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
I run the payroll for my company and one employee piped up after working for us for 5 months that she hadn't been paid. In fact, she didn't raise it that she hadn't been paid, rather that everyone else was receiving a payslip and she didn't! Clearly had far to much money......

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not dumb at all, O/P. Bound to have been noticed at some point, & it'd have been a lot harder for you to deal with if you'd already spent it. It's not like you've lost anything, is it?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Yeah, I was overpaid by about 10k once, when I transferred to another company. I knew they'd want it back at some point so I kept complaining about it. After about a year, I got promoted - I reminded them about the over-payment and was told to forget it and they gave me an additional pay rise of £15k.

I tried to be honest and it worked out pretty well for me.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I once had a building society account that had £30.00 a month paid in for 5 years. Just to see what would happen I did nothing about it. I did not touch a penny. It took five years and I had a letter about it. It was a talking point with friends and it was eventually taken back with an apology. It was rather strange.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Owning up and repaying is better than a possible criminal conviction had you spent it so I shouldn't torture yourself

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Not money but a mate of mine moved houses and he rang the Gas Board to tell them he was taking over the meter. They said there was no gas supply to the premises and he'd have to pay to have it put on. He argued back and forward for months but they were adamant. He spoke to managers, wrote to them, told them the type of meter and serial number, everything. Eventually he gave up. He lived there for several years without once receiving a gas bill.
Ironic really as he was a fitter for British Gas.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

They (the management) would not notice an underpayment.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The police would never be called into it, even if he refused to pay it back.

Interesting- why do you say that? Obviously we'd be talking extremes here, if he flatly refused to return the money, but in that scenario, why wouldn't they?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That'd be a civil matter so no criminal convictions possible I believe. They could have stuck me with a CCJ or something though.

I think they'd try to resolve it quickly as a civil matter, but if he didn't repay it, it would quite easily fall within the boundaries of the Theft Act.

People have been convicted of theft for keeping (or spending) money credited to them in error http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1561601/Bank-blunder-woman-in-135K-spending-spree.html

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not money but a mate of mine moved houses and he rang the Gas Board to tell them he was taking over the meter. They said there was no gas supply to the premises and he'd have to pay to have it put on. He argued back and forward for months but they were adamant. He spoke to managers, wrote to them, told them the type of meter and serial number, everything. Eventually he gave up. He lived there for several years without once receiving a gas bill.
Same thing happened to me with a key meter with Scottish power. Told them i wasn't paying enough(paying £10 a month) Cut a long story short SP wrote off £1800

Had a similar situation in a flat I lived in for several years near Preston circus,repeatedly told the gas board but they insisted that no metre was fitted in that flat,.Three and half years without paying a gas bill,cheers ,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here