Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protecting the FA Cup

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Looking at all the weakened teams being put out (us, Newcastle, Leeds, Liverpool, Southampton, Tottenham etc) and how it devalues the FA cup would it not be a good idea to avoid league fixtures in the midweek following an FA cup weekend? I'm not saying it would mean everyone putting out full teams but surely with a week's rest until the next game it would at least make it slightly more tempting.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Give the 4th champs league place to the winner of the FA cup. Job done.

Look at the sides still in the FA cup, all qualified for last years CL

8/11 last winners qualified for the CL

1 of the losing finalists qualified for the CL

apart from the fact UEFA would never allow it, its not the "bigger" clubs not taking it seriously that are ruining it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
With no Reserves league of any value, the bigger teams use these games to give game time to those who otherwise don't play much competitive football, so I don't think that the OP's suggestion would have any effect at all.

Unfortunately.

Efforts to protect the FA Cup woukld now be shutting the stable door long after the horse has bolted.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looking at all the weakened teams being put out (us, Newcastle, Leeds, Liverpool, Southampton, Tottenham etc) and how it devalues the FA cup would it not be a good idea to avoid league fixtures in the midweek following an FA cup weekend? I'm not saying it would mean everyone putting out full teams but surely with a week's rest until the next game it would at least make it slightly more tempting.

It's the likes of ourselves ridiculously looking down our noses at the FA Cup like it was somehow beneath us, while simultaneously forever banging on about 1983 that allows the likes of Palace to progress to the final on account of taking it seriously. Against Man U, as it it happens. Now THERE'S a bit of irony.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's the likes of ourselves ridiculously looking down our noses at the FA Cup like it was somehow beneath us, while simultaneously forever banging on about 1983 that allows the likes of Palace to progress to the final on account of taking it seriously. Against Man U, as it it happens. Now THERE'S a bit of irony.

I think it's made out of silver.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Promotion chasing championship club has to be the best draw for any team?

Has Huddersfield made a mistake going on?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Look at the sides still in the FA cup, all qualified for last years CL

8/11 last winners qualified for the CL

1 of the losing finalists qualified for the CL

apart from the fact UEFA would never allow it, its not the "bigger" clubs not taking it seriously that are ruining it.

Of course. The reason that most of the winners are CL sides is that their reserve sides tend to be much better than the others. You'd have much more chance of upset with first team v first team. I doubt Liverpool would have been putting out the side they did yesterday if there was a possible champions league place at the end of it. Nor Tottenham who managed to get away with it.

It's down to us to allocate our CL side as we like isn't it? I didn't think UEFA decided it had to be league position based.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's down to us to allocate our CL side as we like isn't it? I didn't think UEFA decided it had to be league position based.

UEFA rules are currently that entries are either 1-4 in the "top domestic championship" depending on the "association coefficient rankings"

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The FA Cup is now basically for anyone who hasn't got anything else to play for, promotion or relegation. Maybe give the winners 15 points which would get those sides interested as well?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Of course. The reason that most of the winners are CL sides is that their reserve sides tend to be much better than the others. You'd have much more chance of upset with first team v first team. I doubt Liverpool would have been putting out the side they did yesterday if there was a possible champions league place at the end of it. Nor Tottenham who managed to get away with it.

Mopo plays this side against most sides in the cups, even Europa which has a CL place in it - Jose has not really played his strongest sides in the EL either, and they are two of the sides most at risk (in theory) not to get in the top 4 this season.

UEFA can just take places away, I can't imagine they will be too happy with the chance (albeit slim to none) a lower league club could win a place in the CL, they will block it - plus it will just add fuel to the top 6 wanting a break away league.

For arguments sake, lets say you do add a CL place, how will that motivate Brighton/Newcastle/Leeds to play a strong side? or even the likes of WBA/Stoke in the PL.

It's really not the big clubs who are to blame for making the cup weak, The FA have let it get to this state - it needs radical re-thinking rather than moving the draw to a Monday ffs

Start it earlier to stop the third round being slap bang in the busiest period of the season and the later rounds when Europe starts up - less need to rotate players

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
UEFA rules are currently that entries are either 1-4 in the "top domestic championship" depending on the "association coefficient rankings"
The use of the word "either" in a sentence usually indicates that "or" will be along in a minute. Are we missing something? Either 1-4......or what?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
No real surprise that Brighton, Newcastle and Leeds are putting all their efforts into the promotion fight. The romance of the FA Cup is one thing, but nobody wants an awayday at the Emirates or Etihad at the expense of slipping up in the league. We play so many fixtures and our squads aren't packed with talent and the risk of injury, suspension and burnout are real. Guarantee that none of the owners of "big" clubs that have been beaten by lower opposition this weekend are going to lose any sleep.

It's a shame but just a fact of life when the financial gulf between the Premier League and the Championship is so vast.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Minimum number of recognised 1st team players have to play.
All games can be televised (Sky, BT and BBC Red Button could all cope with that)
Points deduction for any bellends choosing to field Matz Sels.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not sure what the problem is. We had to give Maenpaa, Tomori, Goldson, Hune and Ade that game. The rest were first teamers, Goldson and Hune were last year. It was a team that was capable of winning but it turned into a horror show. The penalty was soft, the Tomori goal was a freak, and the last goal happened after Hune slipped whilst kicking the ball out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here