Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Beer Festival

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Has been at the Corn Exchange in recent years- moved when the works started at HTH.

HTH is now all offices except for the council chamber; the hall the beer festival used to be held in no longer exists.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Racecourse a terrible venue as it means a pain in the arse bus journey after a few pints.

Tap Takeover is marketing bollocks to make you drink the craft beers they have ties with - better to pick your own pub crawl of Brighton and do it than pay for the privelidge

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Racecourse a terrible venue as it means a pain in the arse bus journey after a few pints.

Tap Takeover is marketing bollocks to make you drink the craft beers they have ties with - better to pick your own pub crawl of Brighton and do it than pay for the privelidge

To be fair the tap takeover was pretty decent with some beers on offer that don't normally make it down to Brighton. One of the cloudwater DIPAS got its first outing during that weekend.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Who is 'they'? What ties are you talking about?

I went on this last year and had a number of beers that you'd not normally find on tap. The event is run by a beer wholesaler (not a brewery or pub) http://thebeercollective.co.uk, not sure who is tied to who?

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Another interesting beer event: http://www.taptakeover.co.uk

Thanks Hugo. Looks good to me and the ticket seems to pay for itself.

Buy A SPECIAL WRISTBAND in advance to receive 20% off all beers, all weekend. Each wristband costs £15 and comes pre-loaded with £15 of beer credit.

Tap Takeover takes place on Friday 31st March to Sunday 2nd April.
Albion v Derby on the Saturday.

http://thebeercollective.co.uk/about-the-beer-collective#filter

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Who is 'they'? What ties are you talking about?

I went on this last year and had a number of beers that you'd not normally find on tap. The event is run by a beer wholesaler (not a brewery or pub) http://thebeercollective.co.uk, not sure who is tied to who?
Last year all the pubs were part of the same group and all the beers were whatever they could get hold of. Not a beer festival just a marketing ploy to get you in particular pubs when there are dozens in Brighton that sell good craft beer already out there.

Without the queues or wanky wrist bands

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Last year all the pubs were part of the same group and all the beers were whatever they could get hold of. Not a beer festival just a marketing ploy to get you in particular pubs when there are dozens in Brighton that sell good craft beer already out there.

I'll report back. I've bought me and Mrs B a couple of early bird tix for a tenner each. If I understand it right, each wristband gets you £15 worth of beer, so we should already be up on the deal....

Wristband gives you 4 half pints of beer from Tap takeover brewers worth £15, plus 20% off any Tap Takeover beers you buy over the weekend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tap takeovers are standard in the craft beer community. I don't think anyone sees them as "marketing bollocks".

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Hope to see some of you at both.
FWIW the Keg takeover is a Laine Pub Co thing.
You're right that Beer Collective used to supply Laine Pub Co with a craft range. I believe this arrangement has now ended.
Keg festival goes on with breweries from outside Sussex.
Quite pleasingly a certain brewery I know are doing a collab with our friends at Bison during the festival where the public will vote on what we produce next commercially.
The beers available will be Brighton seaside themed that you didn't ever dream would be brewed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Everyone I know in the craft community actively seeks out new and different beers. It's part of the interest. There might be dozens of pubs with a few craft pumps or cans but there are only a small number of Brighton pubs with a decent and regular turn over of craft beers. Tap takeovers are regular and popular events which totally and exactly serve our needs. To say this is marketing bollocks and not needed because The Nags Head has a tap of Punk is ignorant. This festival seems a welcome addition to the Brighton scene.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
And the Lewes Camra beer festival had kegs last year for the first time. It's a matter of time until kegs are generally available at their events IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And the Lewes Camra beer festival had kegs last year for the first time. It's a matter of time until kegs are generally available at their events IMHO.

Interesting development.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here