Lincoln v Brighton

FA Cup - Fourth Round

Venue: Sincil Bank Stadium
Date: Saturday 28th January 2017
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Andrew Madley
Assistants: James Wilson, Philip Dermott
Fourth official: Mark Brown

National League leaders Lincoln could be without left-back Sam Habergham (dead leg) for their FA Cup tie.

Right-back Sean Long may fill in, while on-loan Brighton winger Joe Ward is not eligible to face his parent club.

Brighton striker Glenn Murray is available to return after suspension, while full-back Liam Rosenior could feature after a long-term ankle injury.

Left-back Gaetan Bong (knee) is out, but captain Bruno (groin) and striker Sam Baldock (calf) will not be risked.

England Under-20 defender Fikayo Tomori could make his debut for the Championship table-toppers, after joining on loan from Chelsea.

Lincoln manager Danny Cowley told BBC Lincolnshire:

"They are top of the Championship and we said going into the Ipswich game we would need to climb a mountain to overcome that challenge and this is probably like getting to the moon. It will be a tough ask.

"It is a massive day for our players. For most of them this will be the biggest game of their lives, and the biggest examination of their football careers.

"Brighton have an unbelievable squad, with incredible depth, and have two teams that could compete successfully at Championship level. That is probably the reason why they are having such a successful season."

Brighton boss Chris Hughton told BBC Sussex:

"It is a big game and probably become an even bigger one because of Lincoln's exploits in the last round.

"We have to prepare exactly the same as if it is a Championship game. We didn't do so well in our last away game [losing 2-0 at Preston] so we know what can happen.

"If we needed an example of how good Lincoln can be, most of our focus has been on that Ipswich game. In both the games against them, Lincoln were very good.

"We know how tough it can be so we need to make sure we do the best we can."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]The Imps beat Brighton in the FA Cup first round in 2003-04, their last meeting in the competition
Lincoln

• [*=left]Lincoln City have reached round four of the FA Cup for the first time since 1975-76, when they were managed by Graham Taylor
    [*=left]Lincoln have only been beyond round four once, losing to Glasgow Rangers in 1886-87
Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton have progressed in three of their last five FA Cup fourth round ties, with Arsenal knocking them out in 2012-13 and 2014-15
    [*=left]The Seagulls have won their last two away FA Cup fourth round matches, beating Port Vale in 2013-14 and Watford in 2010-11
    [*=left]Brighton have progressed from their last eight ties against non-league teams in the FA Cup, but have needed replays in the last three

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Typical - a cup game and we get what I consider a good ref. Love the way he manages the game. And yet in the league, we keep getting Shyster lite, Stroud.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
"Lincoln have only been beyond round four once, losing to Glasgow Rangers in 1886-87"

That's an interesting stat - unaware Scottish clubs competed in the FA Cup

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Worthing Borough v Upper Beeding for me

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Win today and another league game to rearrange......just saying
Very much my concern. Might not play first team players but they will have fixture congestion despite being rested. Never want us to lose but this is a bonus game as far as I am concerned. Win and we could get a tasty draw. Lose and we don't get fixture pile up. Amazing to think that the £90k for winning hasn't been discussed at all. How times have changed. Said previously that I am very annoyed with myself that this is the first year I want us to ignore the cup but there are bigger fish to fry.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's all about beating Huddersfield on Thursday, and team selection must by geared towards this.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Very much my concern. Might not play first team players but they will have fixture congestion despite being rested. Never want us to lose but this is a bonus game as far as I am concerned. Win and we could get a tasty draw. Lose and we don't get fixture pile up. Amazing to think that the £90k for winning hasn't been discussed at all. How times have changed. Said previously that I am very annoyed with myself that this is the first year I want us to ignore the cup but there are bigger fish to fry.

All that....including the 90k...plus I had my eye on the Barnsley game which I wont be able to go to if midweek....its the headlines I wont like....whilst we might play our 'second' team....they won't bother mentioning it ..it'll all be about beating top of the Championship Brighton ...and you have to think about for those that have bothered to go.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We're going to be putting out a team along the lines of: Maenpaa, Rosenior, Hunemeier, Goldson, that chelsea lad, Skalak, Murphy, Sidwell, Norwood, , Towell, Hemed.

That isn't exactly a weak team is it? By my reckoning it contains 4 internationals(two who played in Euro 2016), a player who spent a decade plus playing in the premier league, a centre half who this time two years ago was captain of a Bundesliga team, our young player of the season from last year and 9 players who are regulars in our match day squad.

It's hardly ripping of our fans who have travelled up there.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here