Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most overrated restaurant you've eaten in?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Took Mrs H up to see Dreamgirls at the Savoy Theatre for her birthday and wanted to push the boat out beforehand so took her to The Ivy.
For any NSCers thinking about it, don't bother, dstinctly average food but very expensive, thankfully the show was one of best West End productions I've ever seen.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Plateau in The Laines, overpriced and pretentious and not very much on the plate.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Noma.

I'd wanted to go for three years. GF arranged a long weekend for my birthday. Deeply technically impressive cooking, seriously creative, presentationally stunning. Tasted of very little.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Isn't the idea that there's not much on the plate so you get a few to share?
I "shared" a fish platter that cost close to £30, there was about a lb of fish in all.. then had to buy a side and then chips.... We got 16 individual chips in a half pint aluminium beaker for £4.50!

I would never go back and I'd advise anyone who goes to eat first before you go.

It said that the platter was for two people.

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Went to Jamie's once. That was enough.
Last weekend was in Pizza Express at the marina only because I had some gift cards. Soggy pizza and tasteless too. Very little topping. Won't go there again.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not posh or pretentious but MASSIVELY overrated as it's crap. Nandos. I have no idea why anyone goes there when for the same price you can go to an actual restaurant.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The Fat Duck, Bray, maybe Mrs Chopper and I chose the wrong dishes, but we were both very disappointed although the house white was absolute nectar. Compared to other famous restaurants we have been to even the service was not good.
It was many years ago, wished we had gone round the corner to The Waterside.
Strange place Bray, a nice village and a foodies heaven, even the pub has a Michelin star.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Cafe Rough (you may know it as Cafe Rouge).

I've been to three in my lifetime. I experienced distinctly average food and lazy service in all three. Gave up on them in 2005.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Cafe Rough (you may know it as Cafe Rouge).

I've been to three in my lifetime. I experienced distinctly average food and lazy service in all three. Gave up on them in 2005.

With respect chap, went to our local one last night, food and service was really quite good.
It did help having a 50% off voucher :thumbsup:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Took Mrs H up to see Dreamgirls at the Savoy Theatre for her birthday and wanted to push the boat out beforehand so took her to The Ivy.
For any NSCers thinking about it, don't bother, dstinctly average food but very expensive, thankfully the show was one of best West End productions I've ever seen.

Totally agree. Average food and service, and full of loud, pretentious, look at me, types.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm struggling to think of one. I follow Jay Rayner and NSC's finest food critics and have done very well.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agreed. Went once, wouldn't bother again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here