Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hmm now the sun

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Why is he always described as "black", when he's "mixed race"?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Why is he described as either when it doesn't matter? :shrug:

He's just an honest and talented professional who is good at the job he is paid to do.

This. It's not relevant to his job. Skin colour is no more relevant than hair colour.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The point is that's he's now in white van mans thoughts not exactly what you want when you're looking to stay under the radar
WTF is this radar nonsense everyone I speak to these days about football knows we are top of league, Arsenal fans are already looking to book up their weekend outing to the seaside.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
WTF is this radar nonsense everyone I speak to these days about football knows we are top of league, Arsenal fans are already looking to book up their weekend outing to the seaside.

I hear what you are saying, the thing is, I think a lot of people in the game thought we were a one season wonder, or that we would bottle it by now, so they are just amazed that we are still leading the table.

Everyone but us of course.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I hear what you are saying, the thing is, I think a lot of people in the game thought we were a one season wonder, or that we would bottle it by now, so they are just amazed that we are still leading the table.

Everyone but us of course.
We are actually doing what Leicester diid the season they went up. Flirted for a couple of seasons improved the squad then went straight up.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Why is he described as either when it doesn't matter? :shrug:

He's just an honest and talented professional who is good at the job he is paid to do.

Actually, I think it does matter and you will probably be surprised that me in particular thinks that but here is why.

He is the first ''home grown'' Black Manager who has been reasonably successful in the top two divisions in England. And more importantly, he is one of very few Black Managers who have even been given the opportunity TO be successful in England.

Contrast that with clubs throwing jobs at people like Gareth Southgate, Alan Shearer, Gary Monk straight from the playing field directly into Club Management positions, with no coaching experience whatsoever.

CH had to be understudy to around 8 or 9 different Managers, over many years who often had less experience than he had before even being considered for a No1 role. And even then only got the job at Newcastle because Joe Kinnear got ill and then Alan Shearer failed in his brief at Newcastle.

Black Managers don't get the same opportunities so when a good one comes along who has the talent and the ability I think it has to be held up as a shining example to other club Chairmen that Colour really should not be a barrier to giving them opportunities.

So in a round about way I agree with your post that it shouldn't matter the colour of his skin. Quite frankly it sadly often does and hopefully Chris can be a pioneer in many ways for changing such perceptions

leo.eyles

May 7, 2015
Actually, I think it does matter and you will probably be surprised that me in particular thinks that but here is why.

He is the first ''home grown'' Black Manager who has been reasonably successful in the top two divisions in England. And more importantly, he is one of very few Black Managers who have even been given the opportunity TO be successful in England.

Contrast that with clubs throwing jobs at people like Gareth Southgate, Alan Shearer, Gary Monk straight from the playing field directly into Club Management positions, with no coaching experience whatsoever.

CH had to be understudy to around 8 or 9 different Managers, over many years who often had less experience than he had before even being considered for a No1 role. And even then only got the job at Newcastle because Joe Kinnear got ill and then Alan Shearer failed in his brief at Newcastle.

Black Managers don't get the same opportunities so when a good one comes along who has the talent and the ability I think it has to be held up as a shining example to other club Chairmen that Colour really should not be a barrier to giving them opportunities.

So in a round about way I agree with your post that it shouldn't matter the colour of his skin. Quite frankly it sadly often does and hopefully Chris can be a pioneer in many ways for changing such perceptions
Very good post. Couldn't have put it better.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Firstly, after his tenure at the club I can't think there is a BHA fan (now or in the future) that would actively deny CH the opportunity to manage England or any other club in football's higher echelons, if that offer came along. We would have selfish reasons for not wanting it, but deep in our hearts we would know he deserves it (assuming he would want to leave). His lack of ego as a manager is truly humbling when compared with our other successful managers, and if he delivers what he has started since he joined he will have established himself as an Albion legend, surpassing imo the achievements of all his predecessors by a country mile.

As for his skin colour, like you I think it matters, and I say that not because it actually does, but I think we are not far away from a Rooney Rule. The qualification of "black managers", if they have heritage similar to CH would be interesting, in that would it cover both mixed race and nationality.

This may seem like splitting hairs, but should any black candidate like Hasselbaink be on the FA's Rooney list? If the answer is no, due to his nationality, then should British mixed race candidates like Ryan Giggs also be excluded because they played for non English home nations. Not forgetting that the ROI which CH represented is not a home nation.

And if "mixed race/black English" is the qualification, then how mixed race is that to be? Will it be parental or further back? In light of this country's post war demography we are not going to be dealing with binary parental/maternal side influences in ethnicity, and where does that actually get us?

In a time when there are more foreign players and managers working in the English football league system than ever, if Rooney Rule hand ups are to be contemplated there is a lot of devil in the detail.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here