Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Ruel Fox

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Wayne Rooney or 'Wazza' as he is known in the game. Says he wants to become a manager when he hangs up his boots. Do you think he'd make a good manager?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the box. No.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Job to say. My feeling is that he might be in the Mark Hughes kind of bracket where he will get a lot of out of his players initially because of the respect players have for him as a footballer, but perhaps as he goes on, he will get to a certain position where he finds his level.

From what you read, he is quite a lively, vocal presence in the dressing room, so you imagine that he won't have any problems getting his point across. It's whether he has the emotional intelligence of knowing when to push certain players' buttons and whether he has the tactical acumen that makes or breaks how far he could go as a manager. Also, how much he wants to succeed at it. After all, given the wealth he has accumulated from the game, it is not as though he "needs" to become a manager, so if he does go into management, it will be because he has a desire to make a success of it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Good players rarely make good managers (with some exceptions). He'll probably end up on the punditry circuit, boring for Britain.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought this was about Warren Aspinall and I would have said yes but as it's about Shrek it's a resounding No from me. He could always join up with Ryan Giggs. The Dream Team for insomniacs

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Good players rarely make good managers (with some exceptions).

I'm not sure that's particularly true any more. Certainly, if you look at the Premier League managers right now, all of the following used to be good players and haven't disgraced themselves as managers:

Ronald Koeman
Mauricio Pochettino
Slaven Bilic
Pep Guardiola
Mark Hughes
Antonio Conte

And then in the Championship, all of these guys could play and have not disgraced themselves as manager, save for the odd setback:
Chris Hughton
Jaap Stam
Paul Lambert
Nigel Clough
Steve Bruce

Monk and Jokanovic had decent playing careers too without being particularly top drawer, but still played a lot of top flight matches.

You're always going to get slightly more managers who didn't have a great playing career because their playing career will have ended earlier and so they need a second income, whereas the top players stay on playing for longer and possibly then don't get round to doing their coaching badges until later. But I'd say there are a few more managers at the top end of the game these days who have a good playing career behind them.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Surely 'Wazza' is Warren Aspinall?

As for Rooney, someone would employ him as a manager if he wanted to go down that route. Who knows how good he'd be at it.

:shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here