Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

⊙_ʘ

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Akil Mitchell describes eyeball popping out during basketball game

A basketball player says he is "doing pretty well, all things considered" after his eye popped out in the middle of a game, New Zealand media report.
Akil Mitchell, who plays for the New Zealand Breakers, was in Auckland for an Australian NBL game on Thursday night when the incident happened.
The finger of an opposing player accidentally dislodged his eyeball.

The American fell to the ground holding his hands to his left eye and was rushed to hospital.

"With the palm of my hand I felt my eyeball on the side of my face," he told New Zealand's Radio Sport.

"I could still see out of the eye."

"I remember thinking oh man... this is kinda bad, but I actually felt it kind of out of place and that's when I kind of freaked out a little bit." More >

(Apologies if fixtures)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
that is horrible and made me read whilst holding my eye so it didn't pop out.

now off to you tube to search on eyes popping out.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
You're posting about the incident but not including the source video? If you're curious and strong of stomach you can have a gander here

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Who isn't a bit squeamish when it comes to eyes? The video isn't too horrendous though thankfully.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
that is horrible and made me read whilst holding my eye so it didn't pop out.

now off to you tube to search on eyes popping out.

This, very hard to read without putting a hand over one eye!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My dad's friend used to be an accomplished mountaineer.

He was on a climb with two others and in a freak accident popped his eye out with his ice axe.

His fellow climbers pushed it back in to place, he wanted to carry on the climb but was suffering with blurred vision so the three of them descended and headed off to a hospital a few hours away.

The doctors said his friends did the right thing putting it back in as the weather up the mountain would have caused him to lose it if it remained exposed to the elements.

But the doctors said they had to pop it out and put it back in again as his mates had pushed it back in upside down and twisted his optic nerve.

Explained the blurred vision though!

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
My dad's friend used to be an accomplished mountaineer.

He was on a climb with two others and in a freak accident popped his eye out with his ice axe.

His fellow climbers pushed it back in to place, he wanted to carry on the climb but was suffering with blurred vision so the three of them descended and headed off to a hospital a few hours away.

The doctors said his friends did the right thing putting it back in as the weather up the mountain would have caused him to lose it if it remained exposed to the elements.

But the doctors said they had to pop it out and put it back in again as his mates had pushed it back in upside down and twisted his optic nerve.

Explained the blurred vision though!

Can you ask him if when he was waving his ice axe about, before the incident, anyone said 'careful, you'll have someone's eye out with that'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here